Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do but as others have said, it's actually not that obvious (thankfully). I was toying with the idea of trying to remove it using a chemical or by scuffing it (testing on the back side first of course) but decided not to mess with it as it's only visible in bright light/flash photography.

I still think it was a weird decision though.
I'd say it was simply an attempt to make it look somewhat weathered, or to have some slightly inperceptable colouring. That's how it often works with paint. Subtle tones to make the eye think it is more realistic.

If wheels and plastic underbody were pure unpainted plastic, plenty of people would be saying it looks cheap and like a plastic toy.

I'd say it was simply an attempt to make it look somewhat weathered, or to have some slightly inperceptable colouring. That's how it often works with paint. Subtle tones to make the eye think it is more realistic.

If wheels and plastic underbody were pure unpainted plastic, plenty of people would be saying it looks cheap and like a plastic toy.
That's fair I suppose, especially if they had feedback from the Mark I asking for it.

That's fair I suppose, especially if they had feedback from the Mark I asking for it.
Yep, and as some have said it's not noticeable from normal viewing distance so for me it's not a "real" issue.

Breaking wheel joints and seats falling around the cockpit however were.

I agree they needed to weather it somehow, but this light gray speckling doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before on a car.

I agree they needed to weather it somehow, but this light gray speckling doesn't look like anything I've ever seen before on a car.
I’m going to assume that’s what going through time causes. Speckles!!

I received my Delorean, today. The folding down of the wheels went well, and my seats were glued firmly in place. However, upon turning the lights on (using USB), one of the wheels did not light up. The rest of the lights appeared to work fine (the other 3 wheels, the bumper lights, the rear lights, the undercarriage lights, and the interior). Also, sometimes that one wheel would light up, but flicker and then eventually go out. So, it's either a loose connection or a short, etc. Sideshow didn't have a replacement vehicle in stock to send me, so I'm returning this for a full refund (store credit) and I'll have to pre-order another one. Hopefully the next one won't have any issues. This sucks.

Attachments

• 20230706_105045.jpg
    20230706_105045.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230706_105151.jpg
    20230706_105151.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 0
For your reference, here are some photos of the original filming miniature built by Industrial Light & Magic.
Shows grey speckles on the miniature and interesting to see the original mechanism for the hover converted wheels.

Attachments

• woYcHWJ.jpeg
    woYcHWJ.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • XqUEQNJ.jpeg
    XqUEQNJ.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • MRpP31w.jpeg
    MRpP31w.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • D3aGkyO.jpeg
    D3aGkyO.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • kGbuv3c.jpeg
    kGbuv3c.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I received my Delorean, today. The folding down of the wheels went well, and my seats were glued firmly in place. However, upon turning the lights on (using USB), one of the wheels did not light up. The rest of the lights appeared to work fine (the other 3 wheels, the bumper lights, the rear lights, the undercarriage lights, and the interior). Also, sometimes that one wheel would light up, but flicker and then eventually go out. So, it's either a loose connection or a short, etc. Sideshow didn't have a replacement vehicle in stock to send me, so I'm returning this for a full refund (store credit) and I'll have to pre-order another one. Hopefully the next one won't have any issues. This sucks.
Man, that's a bummer...especially because that light is probably something super simple like a crimped/loose wire (at least given what I saw on mine). As easy as it probably is to repair, I don't blame you for asking for a replacement. Not worth the risk of opening it up and it should be fully working from the factory as it is. Hope they are quick with it! Do let us know how the replacement goes.

OK, I got the delorean in the house today. the wheels turn and it looks great. forgot about them not including a USB, so I gotta order one. Maybe try batteries instead just to make sure it all works

Man, that's a bummer...especially because that light is probably something super simple like a crimped/loose wire (at least given what I saw on mine). As easy as it probably is to repair, I don't blame you for asking for a replacement. Not worth the risk of opening it up and it should be fully working from the factory as it is. Hope they are quick with it! Do let us know how the replacement goes.
Definitely will give an update, whenever I get a new one. That one problem aside, the vehicle is amazing. I hated to put it back in the box, but at over $900 all-in, there's no way I was going to risk trying to fix that light. Like you said, it should be working being brand new from the factory. Oh well, at least it happened now, and not a year later, when there would likely be no chance of replacement.

OK, I got the delorean in the house today. the wheels turn and it looks great. forgot about them not including a USB, so I gotta order one. Maybe try batteries instead just to make sure it all works
Yeah, definitely put the batteries in, just to check all of the lights. These vehicles have been so hit and miss. Hopefully yours is one of the good ones.

For your reference, here are some photos of the original filming miniature built by Industrial Light & Magic.
Shows grey speckles on the miniature and interesting to see the original mechanism for the hover converted wheels.
Nice. That's pretty much what I imagine a DeLorean from InArt would look like.

I received the Delorean in the mail yesterday. I must say the car is rather nice and glad that I bought it. I just unboxed it today to make sure all was in order and safe to say it was. All of the electronics worked as expected and converting the wheels were a breeze. Only tested out using a USB cable and didn't try the battery compartment. When pulling out the wheels there are 3 distinctive clicks so make sure you feel those and you should be good. Photos attached for your reference.

IMG_7966-side.jpg
IMG_7967-front-driver.jpg
IMG_7968-front-passenger.jpg
IMG_7969-rear-driver.jpg
IMG_7970-rear-driver2.jpg

Original wheel position...
IMG_7976-wheel-0.jpg

Click #1...
IMG_7977-wheel-1.jpg

Click #2...
IMG_7978-wheel-2.jpg

Click #3...
IMG_7979-wheel-3.jpg

Hover position...
IMG_7980-wheel-hover.jpg

IMG_7972-hover.jpg

What are peoples thoughts on loosening the screw that holds the part that was breaking before? I'm setting mine up now. The only thing that feels odd is how the arm sort of separate (flex) as the wheels are turned down.

What are peoples thoughts on loosening the screw that holds the part that was breaking before? I'm setting mine up now. The only thing that feels odd is how the arm sort of separate (flex) as the wheels are turned down.
Loosen to rotate down, then you can tighten it a tad back up to close the gap that happens during the rotation. With the new one, I doubt the same issue will occur anyways! Loosen to be safe, tighten to set it in place so the wheel doesn’t wobble.

delorean.jpg

I am liking this car much more than I thought I would. Some observations: the interior is lit much less than I thought it would be. The dash does light up, but I could only detect it when my room was completely dark. I have no plans to put Marty or Doc in this car, but I tried Nick Fury just cuz he was available, and Mr. 1000 Toys as pictured above.

1000toys-delorean.jpg

I was surprised to find that the windshield top hit Nick Fury's mouth. I know this was discussed a lot during the first issue of the Delorean, but are there any 1/6 scale figures that actually fit in the car, where you can close the doors? I am thinking this is more like 1/7th scale that 1/6th.

At any rate the exterior lighting is top notch. I have not tried flying mode, yet as even with wheels on the ground, this thing is a glory to behold. Wondering if any 3rd party manufacturers have taken a shot at a display stand for this?

Wow they actually modded the hover mode? I never thought in a million years that they would fix that despite how much they failed. I figured if they did mod it, it would just piss off everyone who purchased the first batch and trigger a massive return. I'm guessing that I'm screwed in terms of exchanging mine?

I was thinking about that as I was setting mine up. Seeing all the horror stories earlier upthread, I was tempted to cancel but thought the 2nd batch would be corrected. Mine is perfect, so yeah, I would get on the horn with Sideshow today to exchange, cuz you know that widow will not be open long

Back