Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wheel joint/ housing should have been made out of diecast. There has been several HotToys products and vehicles in the pst that have utilized diecast parts so there’s no reason to believe it would have been difficult to pull off.

Really a shame. I own the first BTTF car and was on the fence about the second but the wheel issue swayed me.

Here’s another observation for those that wish to power on their Delorean lights via an external switch:

If you hold/tape the power button down, you can turn off USB power and back on and the light will come back on. Unfortunately it only works on Mode #1 and you’d have to press it again for hover lights. I plan to put this behind an acrylic case so I’ve been tinkering with how to get around the restriction and this seems to work with a limitation.
So it’s a bloody tap switch?
I was hoping for a slider type so I could leave it on flight mode lighting and have the usb cable hooked up to an external button along with all my cabinet lights.

This thing will be up on a top shelf behind acrylic so I don’t want to be trying to awkwardly fiddle around anytime I want the flight mode lights on!
Yet another dreadful design choice on HTs part.

good news and bad news
Good News first. All 4 wheels work properly and LEDs are al good
Resize of goodnews.jpg

Now the bad news..
The Hood hinge ring came broken. This one, I can fix easily.
Resize of badnews.jpg

I was hoping for a slider type so I could leave it on flight mode lighting and have the usb cable hooked up to an external button along with all my cabinet lights.

This thing will be up on a top shelf behind acrylic so I don’t want to be trying to awkwardly fiddle around anytime I want the flight mode lights on!
Yeah same here. I love having all my figures wired up so I can activate all lights at once. Although I was planning to install brighter lights under the wheels anyway, so guess I can just bypass all that.

I checked my account earlier in the week and it said May-June. This morning I had an email saying it's getting shipped soon.

Yeah I'm also really interested in any way to get the lights to work remotely, or even via a physical switch at the end of the USB cable.

I guess it's going to have to be some sort of electronics mod, which is not my forte unless someone shows it on a Youtube video !

I checked my account earlier in the week and it said May-June. This morning I had an email saying it's getting shipped soon.
Same for me too being UK based also. 13th is the charge date, must say, I'm tempted to cancel before then & lose my NRD, be less stress than having to box that thing up & ship it back! :LOL:

Yeah I'm also really interested in any way to get the lights to work remotely, or even via a physical switch at the end of the USB cable.

I guess it's going to have to be some sort of electronics mod, which is not my forte unless someone shows it on a Youtube video !
What if there’s a way to simply reverse the order of the light settings so the first on option is flight mode? Then it’s just a matter of keeping the on switch permanently compressed- maybe.

I doubt I’ll have this for a few more months and would obviously need to take the thing apart to understand how to mod it.
I know nothing about electronics but I’m always happy to learn a new skill- and the risk of destroying a really pricey collectible is the perfect motivation to acquire some knowledge.

Of course, if someone else can figure it all out and make a tutorial while I’m waiting, that also works for me…

What if there’s a way to simply reverse the order of the light settings so the first on option is flight mode? Then it’s just a matter of keeping the on switch permanently compressed- maybe.

I doubt I’ll have this for a few more months and would obviously need to take the thing apart to understand how to mod it.
I know nothing about electronics but I’m always happy to learn a new skill- and the risk of destroying a really pricey collectible is the perfect motivation to acquire some knowledge.

Of course, if someone else can figure it all out and make a tutorial while I’m waiting, that also works for me…
Ooh I’ve already tried that. Once power goes off and back on, it always revert back to Mode #1. It’s a digital switch so that’s the challenge.

I tried opening up the front to see if I can see the circuitry but no luck so far after removing a bunch of screws.

Attachments

• 92A53588-AADF-4315-AFFE-255CDD05425B.jpeg
    92A53588-AADF-4315-AFFE-255CDD05425B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Ooh I’ve already tried that. Once power goes off and back on, it always revert back to Mode #1. It’s a digital switch so that’s the challenge.

I tried opening up the front to see if I can see the circuitry but no luck so far after removing a bunch of screws.
Oh well, there’s goes that plan.

Does keeping the switch held in the down position at least make it so the lights turn on and off via an external switch linked to the usb cable?

Oh well, there’s goes that plan.

Does keeping the switch held in the down position at least make it so the lights turn on and off via an external switch linked to the usb cable?
That is correct and the limitation as I’ve mentioned before is that it’s always stuck on Mode #1 but it does work with an external switch this way. Better than nothing now without having to take it apart to modify.

That is correct and the limitation as I’ve mentioned before is that it’s always stuck on Mode #1 but it does work with an external switch this way. Better than nothing now without having to take it apart to modify.
Ok good to know. Digital switch is the problem then as I have no idea how you can bypass or remove the first setting or reverse them so mode #2 comes first.

Mine will definitely spend most of its life in flight mode so I really want those lights to come on as default.

In other news, I did a little “mod” so I wouldn’t have to open the hood each time to trigger the lights.

Just did this mod myself in like 3 minutes! Thanks so much for the idea. Just needed double sided sticky tape and two tiny lego pieces stacked together and attached to the button. The hood fits perfectly and the slightest touch causes the button to engage. Great thinking!

OK so let me just make sure I understand this correctly. If the switch is permanantly depressed (somehow) then when the power is turned on Mode 1 activates.

Also still waiting on mine from Asia. Really hope HT does address the issue and the added wait means some sort of improvement.

At least if the part that is breaking needs to be made thicker this means it is metal off the mould which is easier to modify than adding metal on.

Back