Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did this mod myself in like 3 minutes! Thanks so much for the idea. Just needed double sided sticky tape and two tiny lego pieces stacked together and attached to the button. The hood fits perfectly and the slightest touch causes the button to engage. Great thinking!
I’m glad to know you’re using this simple mod!

Yet another observation: Hot toys actually created grooves in the arms that appear to be specifically for you to route a cable through. This almost perfectly hides most of the USB cable in the clear arms!
99CD3688-B523-45C3-8AB1-7C2B2D87AEDF.jpeg

Yet another observation: Hot toys actually created grooves in the arms that appear to be specifically for you to route a cable through. This almost perfectly hides most of the USB cable in the clear arms! View attachment 627561
Well that’s something. I was planning to conceal my cable with the stand legs so glad to see they’ve built a feature in. Looks like a white cable is the way to go to be most discreet.

I wonder if the wheels aren't broken during transportation. Perhaps, in normal mode, the wheels support the weight of the car and break the plastic in the event of mishandling of the box. Unless there is polystyrene holding the car from underneath.

In this video it's broken before fly mode :

I wonder if the wheels aren't broken during transportation. Perhaps, in normal mode, the wheels support the weight of the car and break the plastic in the event of mishandling of the box. Unless there is polystyrene holding the car from underneath.

In this video it's broken before fly mode :

Yeah this was my suspicion that units were already damaged on delivery. Its just a faulty design, not strong enough for its purpose, HT really need to fix this, they messed up big time, again how this got through QC?

Yeah this is really disappointing. Surely given the delivery times being pushed back for some this means they are designing a new part/s to fix the problem before too many more are made.

Considering how many must be being sent back, Sideshow isn't going to sit on a heap of defective products. Just the logistics/storage and shipping costs back to HK for fixing warrant that Hot Toys has to do something here.

They should really be releasing a statement at this point. But I know.....Hot Toys.....

Well, I unboxed mine, and immediately put it on its roof on some clean microfiber towels and did the wheels. After I used two hands to guide them (all the way, which is more than the first click) out, I backed off all 4 wheel hinge set screws. Folded them without any issues thankfully! Not sure if that made a difference but I feel like releasing the tension was worth trying. Seats were glued in…my *only* issue is she arrived missing 1 screw in the left rear wheel lol 😂😅 so I’ll take it.

Attachments

• 933DCDFA-594D-41A9-9D55-CC1273AF1B6C.jpeg
    933DCDFA-594D-41A9-9D55-CC1273AF1B6C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Well, I unboxed mine, and immediately put it on its roof on some clean microfiber towels and did the wheels. After I used two hands to guide them (all the way, which is more than the first click) out, I backed off all 4 wheel hinge set screws. Folded them without any issues thankfully! Not sure if that made a difference but I feel like releasing the tension was worth trying. Seats were glued in…my *only* issue is she arrived missing 1 screw in the left rear wheel lol 😂😅 so I’ll take it.
Which screws are you loosening exactly ?

The singular outer hinge set screw on each wheel (right front pic attached for reference). I got the wheels pulled out all the way first (can’t reach the screws otherwise of course) and then did this, and then very carefully rotated each one. I didn’t try to exert any pressure on the wheel wiggling it, etc.

Attachments

• 2713366D-CFC1-415C-BDAB-66E1D962644C.jpeg
    2713366D-CFC1-415C-BDAB-66E1D962644C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Likely the two screws in the mechanism per wheel i mentioned previously. Loosening them up relieves literally all tension during the rotation. All of mine are loosened up so i can rotate as much as I want without fear.

I’m so glad he opened up the wheel because I still have that issue with the wire being too short making it impossible to extend the wheel out. Now I know how I can safely open it and extend the wires without fear. He did a pretty good job with putting brighter lights in the wheel. I’m impressed.

Attachments

• 2EA26213-7EFB-4713-8883-548614D3560A.jpeg
    2EA26213-7EFB-4713-8883-548614D3560A.jpeg
    765.2 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, the first DeLorean you could leave the light on and use an external light switch to turn the lights on and off but with these two light modes that’s impossible. If anyone can figure out how to turn the lights on from an external light switch, that would be great.

I’m so glad he opened up the wheel because I still have that issue with the wire being too short making it impossible to extend the wheel out. Now I know how I can safely open it and extend the wires without fear. He did a pretty good job with putting brighter lights in the wheel. I’m impressed.

The brighter wheels do look a whole lot better there, but as usual some of his other solutions are just very weird, like applying goopy gorilla glue to the struts instead of just loosening the screws, or having all those extra wires along the side.

That guy is a nutter. He spends all that money and effort to remove the stock subtle opaque light coming up from the wheel to illuminate the wheel well, and puts them in anyway to highlight all the mess he made with the cable and glue. :lol :lol :lol

No upward light really detracts from the look in flight mode imo.

Last edited:
The brighter wheels do look a whole lot better there, but as usual some of his other solutions are just very weird, like applying goopy gorilla glue to the struts instead of just loosening the screws, or having all those extra wires along the side.
Applying glue to the cracks is nonsense. If glue could work at all it needs to be in the crack (which is way too small) or between the two parts being stuck together. :rolleyes:

Having that mess to look at when the wheels are down is definitely not something I'd do.

Happy to report that after removing the wheel, I was able to safely extend the short wiring. Now I have actual cable slack and can rotate the rear wheel down! It’s finally complete!!

Attachments

• 65453363-9501-4E25-956C-C5E47303745F.jpeg
    65453363-9501-4E25-956C-C5E47303745F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 841A6397-E4ED-4B52-87E8-376D9E085B99.jpeg
    841A6397-E4ED-4B52-87E8-376D9E085B99.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Applying glue to the cracks is nonsense. If glue could work at all it needs to be in the crack (which is way too small) or between the two parts being stuck together. :rolleyes:

Having that mess to look at when the wheels are down is definitely not something I'd do.
Yeah if you're going to use glue, at least use tamiya thin cement that will actually seep into the cracks.

Back