Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"If accuracy is Hot Toys main focus..."

I'll stop you there. With the delorean, accuracy was clearly never mentioned at any of the meetings. The pull straps for example in the doors is wrong and the interior is lacking in any real details. For HTs, its a poor attempt and its just so plasticy. I remember owning the toy ecto 1 as a child and it was built similar to this delorean. By this i mean a plastic underside with a metal rod going through each end with a wheel attached to each end but at least the front wheels turned. Anyone who pays more than retail (the 2015 price) overpaid and i would argue that those like myself, who did pay retail also overpaid.

Last edited:
I remember going to see BTTF as a kid and standing in the lobby staring at the posters for both that movie and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome since their auditoriums were right next to each other. Posters were so cool back in the day.
Classic movie posters are so awesome and something I still collect. I really miss the artwork rather than the photoshop they do today. Drew Struzan did so many iconic posters to many movies including back to the future. There is a book out for many of his posters.

I think they would have released the 50’s prototypes and the Mk2 DeLorean if their main goal was “squeezing” money out if collectors. But for whatever reason, they didn’t. I hear time and time again that when Hot Toys makes design decisions, they are based on accuracy to the source material (as best as possible). Sure, adding weathering to the existing Mk1 DeLorean to make it dirty like the Mk3 isn’t that much of a task, but many collectors would not feel they should have to add weathering to an expensive piece that is suppose to be accurate to the film. I know many collectors on here are more than capable of doing that, but we shouldn’t have to add details that HT should have already done.

I do not see Hot Toys retooling existing molds on an already expensive piece to accommodate interchangeable parts, especially for the Mk2. I sure hope it does, but they could have easily given collectors a swappable leg piece for the Mandalorian, but instead released a whole new figure. I wouldn’t put it past Hot Toys to try to sell 3 individual DeLoreans (in very small quantities) to get the most money possible or none at all at this point. Because I would assume most collectors would not want to constantly modify parts and pieces on a massive DeLorean every time they want to change their display. It is a cool idea, but would seem like a headache as it is already a large and heavy piece. And if a collector were to just display 1 version of the car with all the figures because swapping is too inconvenient, it would probably be the Mk1 version anyway, so why would HT want to retool things and pay for the molds when collectors would be satisfied with a Mk1 reissue in the end? Naturally HT would need to design a stand to display the Mk2 hover conversion, and that imo is the main reason why the 2017 prototype was scrapped.

IMO, Hot Toys should just revisit the Mk1, but actually add the appropriate details that are missing, like light up time circuits and internal wiring. I do hope they actually figure out a good system to represent all 3 versions, but I know even if they do release that system, it will leave out the original DeLorean owners, because Hot Toys lol.

I'll stop you there. With the delorean, accuracy was clearly never mentioned at any of the meetings. The pull straps for example in the doors is wrong and the interior is lacking in any real details. For HTs, its a poor attempt and its just so plasticy. I remember owning the toy ecto 1 as a child and it was built similar to this delorean. By this i mean a plastic underside with a metal rod going through each end with a wheel attached to each end but at least the front wheels turned. Anyone who pays more than retail (the 2015 price) overpaid and i would argue that those like myself, who did pay retail also overpaid.
In the end their main focus was accuracy, but they just did a poor job at it. Not the first time. I agree with you about lacking details. The inside is incredibly bare, and I thought it was idiotic to not have light up time circuits. The time circuits are a key part of the internals just as much as the flux capacitor.

I still stand by their main focus on the DeLorean was accuracy. I never said they did a good job at it lol.

Well the Part 3 figures are completely lacking in any weathering as well, so I don't think we can really draw any conclusions from that. Unless it's a SW vehicle, HT doesn't usually bother weathering these up much.

Unless the intention is a deluxe release which includes interchangeable parts to create all three looks…
There’s always good to be a reason to keep the hope alive until HT simply says it’s not happening- which will also never happen.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Make one model of the DeLorean and include accessories to transform it to the Part II or Part III versions.

I think squeezing as much money out of collectors as humanly possible is one step above accuracy for HT.

A clean DeLorean would work for 2/3 of a deluxe release and most people who are really keen to dirty it up for pt3 will be capable of either personally adding the weathering themselves or getting someone else to do it. It’s a suitable compromise in my eyes and might be a better strategy than 3 unique DeLorean releases- something which seems very unlikely.

I do however feel that the window for capitalising on fan excitement is already closing. A DeLorean won’t be cheap so they need to strike soon before the next craze pops up and clears out all our wallets.
I agree. Not sure how long this event in Japan goes for, but I recall there were 2 other locations on other dates. Sort of thought they might wait until those ?

But yep, Star Wars is getting very close. Book of Boba will be a big hit, and probably multiple figures there as well.

Surely they've had enough time to get an initial impression of pre-orders for the figures now.

I'll be very disappointed if they don't do any vehicle......

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Make one model of the DeLorean and include accessories to transform it to the Part II or Part III versions.

that would be great!
And still cheaper than currently trying to get the first Hot Toys Delorean....

I hope they release the Delorean soon, maybe on back to the future day? The current store event goes until October 31st. I actually don't know if they will keep doing Back to the Future for the other two stores. They are calling it Retro Sapiens and HT for sure have other retro licenses they can revive. Just a guess, if it's BTTF all the way they could have named the events differently.

The more I think about it, the more it seems unlikely that they would release all these new BTTF figures without releasing the DeLorean itself as well. Even if it's nothing more than just a straight release of the original.

Stranger things have happened but if a Delorean hasn’t been announced by now I don’t think it will be. I doubt there’s much of an appetite for an expensive $1k part 3 Delorean and HT will definitely not sink in any more money for retooling or additional parts. They didn’t make much profit from the car and apparently they no longer work with the factory that manufactured it.

apparently they no longer work with the factory that manufactured it.

interesting.gif

It just feels like the more time that elapses after the recent rollout of the new figures the less likely the DeLorean becomes. Unless they wait until the figures release to preorder the time machine. In that scenario the DeLorean probably makes it into collector hands sometime in 2026.

It just feels like the more time that elapses after the recent rollout of the new figures the less likely the DeLorean becomes. Unless they wait until the figures release to preorder the time machine. In that scenario the DeLorean probably makes it into collector hands sometime in 2026.
It's possible they are waiting a bit to see the sales numbers of all the figures over a few weeks (and to get through this holiday time they have this week).

But I agree, it is feeling more and more less likely. Which annoys me to no end !!

The whole "accuracy" thing is just a PR line that Hot Toys likes to spout off hoping that most collectors don't have a good eye for detail. Just like how they talk about making sure the portraits are accurate to the real actors with no particular "style" coming into play like other companies are guilty of, yet they keep producing sculpts where they will de-age and idealize the facial features, just as an example. And of course there was also the issue for years with how overly dark they kept making the skin tones.

Back