Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they did all that tooling for a huge power pose robot from a show 98.7% of people have never heard of. I'm hopeful that we get a part 3 Delorean. This is probably going to be another one of those unnecessarily long drawn out situations of HT will we or won't we.

Whether it's a matter of HT releasing II and III or coming up with a Deluxe version with swap-out parts, I'd ultimately like to have all three DeLoreans. My plan would be to display them in a way that homages the look of the posters (but adding Doc to poster #1 and maybe a custom Clara/Mary Steenburgen to poster #3). Even though the head sculpts won't directly match up, I just think the posters are so iconic. I have the first DeLorean and Marty and I've POed BTTF Doc and BTTFIII Marty and Doc. I'm holding to see if HT reissues BTTFII Marty and Doc, but if not I'll eventually pick those up in the secondary. I'm mostly interested in seeing what happens with the car.

BTTF_I-II-III_Posters.jpg

Whether it's a matter of HT releasing II and III or coming up with a Deluxe version with swap-out parts, I'd ultimately like to have all three DeLoreans. My plan would be to display them in a way that homages the look of the posters (but adding Doc to poster #1 and maybe a custom Clara/Mary Steenburgen to poster #3). Even though the head sculpts won't directly match up, I just think the posters are so iconic. I have the first DeLorean and Marty and I've POed BTTF Doc and BTTFIII Marty and Doc. I'm holding to see if HT reissues BTTFII Marty and Doc, but if not I'll eventually pick those up in the secondary. I'm mostly interested in seeing what happens with the car.

View attachment 539295
"Wow, you must be rich".

"Honey he's teasing you, nobody has three Hot Toys DeLoreans".

Haha, I would definitely buy all three if given the opportunity. No desire to recreate the posters though. If this dream is ever realized I'll have to do a custom shelf with three levels for the cars and their corresponding figures and ideally some sort of diorama background for each.

View attachment 539295
I was too young for BTTF I but I do have memory of the II and III posters in my local cinema. I always found them striking.

The posters are cool but they don't really highlight the DeLorean well and it has always struck me as odd that the first omits Doc and the third includes Clara.

The posters are cool but they don't really highlight the DeLorean well and it has always struck me as odd that the first omits Doc and the third includes Clara.
Well, the Part I poster includes one person, Part II has two, and Part III has three... surely that wasn't an accident, right?

Well, the Part I poster includes one person, Part II has two, and Part III has three... surely that wasn't an accident, right?

I suppose not but I don't feel it's the best representation of each film. Marty and Doc are the undisputed main characters along with the DeLorean.

Well they did all that tooling for a huge power pose robot from a show 98.7% of people have never heard of. I'm hopeful that we get a part 3 Delorean. This is probably going to be another one of those unnecessarily long drawn out situations of HT will we or won't we.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Hot Toys logic I guess......

Regarding the posters, bttf was only ever gonna be a one off film. They never intended to do sequels (bob gale said if they knew they were gonna do a trilogy they wouldnt have had jennifer at the end of the 1st film which is why she spends 2 and 3 asleep mostly). Back to the poster, marty is the main character and is the one that needs to get "back to the future" and is the focus of the film hence why only marty. Since 2 and 3 were shot back to back, the artist wanted to carry the style of the 1st poster. They went with clara in the end as part 3 with 3 characters works (plus she is kinda integral to the film and arguably part 3 is more about doc anyway). The concepts before that included just marty and doc with the train being in place of clara.
10678565_1494227454169607_6986885314952435079_n.jpg

As for the delorean, ill be surprised if they release any. The first felt half assed really and was really cheap. Considering their track record up to that point it was a dissapointment like they got to a certain stage and just gave up thinking "meh that will do". That door mechanism is horrid and belongs on a cheap childrens toy. The use of stickers, lack of wiring/detailing and having only half the interior light up just screams lazy to me. If they do release any i dont expect them to make any improvements but totally expect a much higher price point.
To me, the part3 delorean they are showcasing is a modified part one. The doors are drooping showing that the cheap, nasty rachet mechanism is failing and needs a slight repair (which mine was suffering and requires the door to be removed and the rachet part to be turned which has to be done each time the door is closed if you want that door to stay open fully). If it was a newly built car, that door would be fine.

I would advise anyone who really wants the delorean to buy now. If HT dont release any version expect to see the original go up in price further as people will want the car more now new figures are happening. I can totally see history repeating itself where people held out for the part 2 version which never happened and had to pay a higher premium to get the only one that was released

Last edited:

View attachment 539295
I remember going to see BTTF as a kid and standing in the lobby staring at the posters for both that movie and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome since their auditoriums were right next to each other. Posters were so cool back in the day.

Last edited:
Yeah once that initial unboxing excitement wears off, the HT DeLorean is kinda underwhelming in hand. And there's a good chance that any Part 2/3 version would be the same way. But what the hell, I'm still hoping it happens anyway. 😁

This is just me, but I have a crazy feeling that's not meant to be sold commercially since the Pt3 car was never that clean and it feels bizzare to see a high end model that mint looking. You'd think HT would have weathered the car if the had plans to sell it.

This is just me, but I have a crazy feeling that's not meant to be sold commercially since the Pt3 car was never that clean and it feels bizzare to see a high end model that mint looking. You'd think HT would have weathered the car if the had plans to sell it.
Unless the intention is a deluxe release which includes interchangeable parts to create all three looks…
There’s always good to be a reason to keep the hope alive until HT simply says it’s not happening- which will also never happen.

Unless the intention is a deluxe release which includes interchangeable parts to create all three looks…
There’s always good to be a reason to keep the hope alive until HT simply says it’s not happening- which will also never happen.
If accuracy is Hot Toys main focus, I don’t see how a clean version of the Pt 3 DeLorean makes sense. When I saw it at the store, it did seem to have some added wear and such, but not a lot. I still doubt a version with interchangable parts that includes the hover conversion with full lights.

the version of the Mk3 DeLorean in the store has the same underside as the Mk1. As we would assume, it is basically a modded Mk1. HT has already shown DeLoreans in the Marty 2.0, Pt1 Doc, and both Pt3 figs. I feel the moment to capitalize on DeLorean sales is going away. Japan does have a large fanbase for BTTF, so it is a semi-missed opportunity on HT’s part.

That being said, I know the BTTF even in Tokyo ends in a month or so, and then it will move to Osaka I believe. Could announce something during that time to get people to come into the store. The Marty 2.0 went on sale online in Japan on Toy Sapiens a couple days ago, so I would think they would need a new reason to get people to visit.

If accuracy is Hot Toys main focus, I don’t see how a clean version of the Pt 3 DeLorean makes sense. When I saw it at the store, it did seem to have some added wear and such, but not a lot. I still doubt a version with interchangable parts that includes the hover conversion with full lights.

the version of the Mk3 DeLorean in the store has the same underside as the Mk1. As we would assume, it is basically a modded Mk1. HT has already shown DeLoreans in the Marty 2.0, Pt1 Doc, and both Pt3 figs. I feel the moment to capitalize on DeLorean sales is going away. Japan does have a large fanbase for BTTF, so it is a semi-missed opportunity on HT’s part.

That being said, I know the BTTF even in Tokyo ends in a month or so, and then it will move to Osaka I believe. Could announce something during that time to get people to come into the store. The Marty 2.0 went on sale online in Japan on Toy Sapiens a couple days ago, so I would think they would need a new reason to get people to visit.
I think squeezing as much money out of collectors as humanly possible is one step above accuracy for HT.

A clean DeLorean would work for 2/3 of a deluxe release and most people who are really keen to dirty it up for pt3 will be capable of either personally adding the weathering themselves or getting someone else to do it. It’s a suitable compromise in my eyes and might be a better strategy than 3 unique DeLorean releases- something which seems very unlikely.

I do however feel that the window for capitalising on fan excitement is already closing. A DeLorean won’t be cheap so they need to strike soon before the next craze pops up and clears out all our wallets.

Back