Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been considering these as well. I intend to move in the next 1-2 years though and that makes me feel I should wait. A couple other things that hold me back are the high price and the fact that plexiglass tends to easily scratch and is not a particularly high quality material.

Here in the US we have Gladiator shelves which are very high quality sturdy metal construction, relatively cheap($100-$200), and adjustable to any height you want. The drawbacks are they don't look as classy, are not enclosed at all, and you would have to do your own lights.

I just keep kicking the can down the road because I don't know what to do :dunno
They seem to have EU branches.

https://www.gladiatorworx.eu/en/shelving-c57-0.html
Big strong shelves no doubt and they'd work out a lot cheaper especially if there was no customs. But while Hypnobrett wants to switch to open shelves I'm the opposite - I've never had enclosed shelves before and I'm sick and tired of dust. I've currently got all my Hot Toys figures covered over by clear plastic bags as dust-blockers of sorts. Needless to say it looks awful and isn't even full protection.

I've heard that the acrylic attracts dust but if all that means is wiping down the panels every so often I would take that over having to empty and wipe down individual shelves, rinse and dry off every single NECA figure, taking the time to de-dust every Star Wars vehicle, lint-roll Hot Toys figures (which fluffs up their clothes, pull up threads etc) and then put everything back on the shelves. Currently my solution to this problem is to hardly ever do any of this at all. So my collection is dust-laden more or less permanently - and I've noticed on smooth surfaced figures like the Hot Toys 1/4 Endoskeleton it leaves a grimy layer that won't come off with a dry dust-cloth.

As for Acrylic getting scratched, I could live with that.

However, the Moducase are a damned expensive way to go, for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic. They look terrific.

Do you think the 'enhanced 30kg cube load' is necessary for something like the Batmobile or is that pretty much just for big F-off statues?

At the moment I'm thinking 9 DF120s, 2 stacks of 3 on one wall and a single stack of 3 on another wall. They'd have top-boards so I can put stuff on top for certain larger, taller items. They'd be left exposed to dust but it has been wrecking my head trying to figure out how to incorporate them within the units - I'd need DF130s and that complicates things. DF120s with space on top keeps it simpler. I'd probably get drawer risers at the bottom aswell, plus a mixture of full and half shelves.

I wish I could space out the purchase though since it'll be pretty expensive even before shipping and customs - but with the wait-time on these that's not really viable.

Thanks. So if I'm understanding right your suggestion is to lay them horizontal on their backs, align everything, tighten it and then lift it upright?
I didn’t think there was a need for the 30kg as I think it’s really for big statues.
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want.
How big are the other items? You could email them to increase the height of two of your DF120’s to accommodate the collectibles you have.
I was happy with the wait time as it gave me the time to save for the custom charge also. It’s 50% upfront and 50% plus shipping when your order is ready to ship. That suited me perfectly.

I didn’t think there was a need for the 30kg as I think it’s really for big statues.
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want.
How big are the other items? You could email them to increase the height of two of your DF120’s to accommodate the collectibles you have.
I was happy with the wait time as it gave me the time to save for the custom charge also. It’s 50% upfront and 50% plus shipping when your order is ready to ship. That suited me perfectly.
Oh they split the payment, I hadn't seen that. That's a relief.

As far as customizing the measurements, I dunno, to maximize my options on where said taller items could go I'd probably want to do the same custom measurement on all the units. And I'm sure going custom also increases cost further.

Maximizing my options is important because of the very large amount of stuff I have; the variety of licenses and scales - it's pretty much impossible for me to know for sure in advance where everything will go and to guarantee it makes sense to put it there. I could end up with, say, the Hasbro Star Wars AT-AT walker randomly mixed in with Hot Toys because that's where it physically happens to fit but it would be a silly 'juxtaposition'. If I only had one type of toy or indeed if I could bring myself to sell off all my Hasbro Star Wars for example, this would all be so much easier.

Last edited:
They seem to have EU branches.

https://www.gladiatorworx.eu/en/shelving-c57-0.html
Big strong shelves no doubt and they'd work out a lot cheaper especially if there was no customs. But while Hypnobrett wants to switch to open shelves I'm the opposite - I've never had enclosed shelves before and I'm sick and tired of dust. I've currently got all my Hot Toys figures covered over by clear plastic bags as dust-blockers of sorts. Needless to say it looks awful and isn't even full protection.

I've heard that the acrylic attracts dust but if all that means is wiping down the panels every so often I would take that over having to empty and wipe down individual shelves, rinse and dry off every single NECA figure, taking the time to de-dust every Star Wars vehicle, lint-roll Hot Toys figures (which fluffs up their clothes, pull up threads etc) and then put everything back on the shelves. Currently my solution to this problem is to hardly ever do any of this at all. So my collection is dusty-laden more or less permanently - and I've noticed on smooth surfaced figures like the Hot Toys 1/4 Endoskeleton it leaves a grimy layer that won't come off with a dry dust-cloth.

As for Acrylic getting scratched, I could live with that.

However, the Moducase are a damned expensive way to go, for sure.
I too have open shelves which I personally prefer. I was considering getting an air purifier to combat dust.

Has anyone gone the air purifier route to minimise/prevent dust ? Results ?

I too have open shelves which I personally prefer. I was considering getting an air purifier to combat dust.

Has anyone gone the air purifier route to minimise/prevent dust ? Results ?

I have one between my HT Batmobile, Tumbler and Delorean as dusting them weekly was a pain but I also prefer open air displays as they feel unobstructed and more aesthetically pleasing and you'd be happy to know that they DO work-- dust settles far less in volume and I now dust the cars once a month.

Attachments

• E2C14759-D35B-4CA8-AD83-B93D145BF626.jpeg
    E2C14759-D35B-4CA8-AD83-B93D145BF626.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 43
I have one between my HT Batmobile, Tumbler and Delorean as dusting them weekly was a pain but I also prefer open air displays as they feel unobstructed and more aesthetically pleasing and you'd be happy to know that they DO work-- dust settles far less in volume and I now dust the cars once a month.
OK cool. I don't tend to get a lot of dust in there. It's been months and there is a very thin layer. The only reason I see it is the display is a darkish gunmetal black, so it shows somewhat more than say white.

So an air purifier would extend it probably to half a year or so perhaps ?

Which one do you have ?

I would avoid an air purifier at all costs. Years ago, folks over at onesixthwarriors found using an air ionizer/purifier anywhere near 1/6 figures with pleather/rubber will quickly experience degradation because these devices cause a negative reaction with the materials. This was experienced some years ago by collectors with both new and old figures where the rubber on vintage and reproduced G.I. Joe wet suits began to degrade almost immediately. Through investigation those folks discovered the culprit were these devices nearby/next to the figures. Keep this in mind if you have one of these things in your home.

I would avoid an air purifier at all costs. Years ago, folks over at onesixthwarriors found using an air ionizer/purifier anywhere near 1/6 figures with pleather/rubber will quickly experience degradation because these devices cause a negative reaction with the materials. This was experienced some years ago by collectors with both new and old figures where the rubber on vintage and reproduced G.I. Joe wet suits began to degrade almost immediately. Through investigation those folks discovered the culprit were these devices nearby/next to the figures. Keep this in mind if you have one of these things in your home.
OK that makes some logical sense, especially if they increase or decease the air humidity significantly.

That's true, but I presume the troublesome ones you're referring to are those electronic ones and not mechanical purifiers that uses a filter and a fan. I'm using a mechanical one for a couple of years and so far so good, there's an article below on which ones to avoid and I'd definitely wouldn't use an air ionizer type purifier for my collection.

https://www.purifan.com/blog/is-your-air-purifier-safe/

Last edited:
Yes, the ones that create an electrical charge are the biggest culprit. But, purifies and ionizers only clean contaminants from the air, that’s it; they do nothing for the moisture level in the air — too dry or wet (and exposure to direct sunlight) are the biggest culprits for the decay of collectibles.

Yes, the ones that create an electrical charge are the biggest culprit. But, purifies and ionizers only clean contaminants from the air, that’s it; they do nothing for the moisture level in the air — too dry or wet (and exposure to direct sunlight) are the biggest culprits for the decay of collectibles.

I wouldn't risk my collection with those kinds of electronic purifiers either. The one I'm using (a Xiaomi) is simply a fan with a replaceable filter, nothing fancy (it does have WI-FI though!) It doesn't affect humidity and simply sucks in dust while blowing out cleaner air. I noticed the dust build-up on the two Batmobiles and Delorean being substantially reduced with it on 24/7 for the past two years with no damage to the plastic, rubber wheels nor surrounding 1/6 figures either.

Thanks. So if I'm understanding right your suggestion is to lay them horizontal on their backs, align everything, tighten it and then lift it upright?

Yep. Do them one at a time, then stand them up. They'll be solidly attached to each other, so no problem.

Do you think the 'enhanced 30kg cube load' is necessary for something like the Batmobile or is that pretty much just for big F-off statues?
HT Batmobile? You won't need enhanced support.

At this point I don't think a Delorean is going to go up for preorder unless it happens when they start shipping the part 3 figures 18 months from now. The only other possible holdup I can imagine is if they are working on a way to make a standard Delorean with conversion kits for the different versions.

At this point I don't think a Delorean is going to go up for preorder unless it happens when they start shipping the part 3 figures 18 months from now. The only other possible holdup I can imagine is if they are working on a way to make a standard Delorean with conversion kits for the different versions.
I know I'm always pretty hopeful, but that's a real possibility. With so many BTF figures dropped at once, maybe they did think OK we can use the time until they come out to do any re-development to combine 3 into 1 with accessories. Then people will be financially more able to buy a DeLorean later when the figures are releasing and the hype is up again.

Sure speculation, but totally possible.

While we are at it, I know this won’t happen, but I would love a couple of Tannen figures, especially Buford, but classic 50s Biff or even Scarface Biff from the alternate eighties.

Scarface biff... first time ive heard him referred to as that. Usually its donald trump biff.

Back