Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol how can they justify making three OC bats, two TDK bats etc... They'll do it and probably remake the 89 again.

good point....but most of those were seperated by time, improvements or figure differences (with some being MMS and others DX), right?

Their DX line is supposed to be the top of the range. I just meant it would be odd releasing 2 so similar so close together in the DX line, especially when there is nothing they can really do in terms of improvements?

Including the glider wing would be an easy signficant difference ...as would the headsculpt of course...

I'm curious if Penguin will have rooted har or not, and if so, how PERS would work (if he is, in fact, a DX).

^ i'd be more concerned with how they'll do the body, Devito/ couldn't use his full range of arm movements in the film and his body/fat suit ran down the length of his bicep, that doesn't equal good news for a figure

Batman%20Returns%2011%20.jpg

You wouldn't be able to move the arms much, i'd estimate 40° angling. Or change clothes, so no removing the jacket etc..

Quality-wise, DX02 and DX09 are in the same league. Except DX02 comes with more stuff and costs a whole hell of a lot less!

The same league accessory wise, maybe, but quality wise?

I haven't heard any reports of quality control issues with DX 09 Batman. I haven't read any complaints about his abs or biceps secreting oils or the ears being crooked. Nor have I seen any issues with it's proportions such as it's neck and body.

Although I have seen collectors claim that this is supposedly the best Batman yet and that it has a great cape that's easy to attach, isn't stiff when it comes to posing and can actually hold said poses.

^ your thinking quality control, he's think design/detail/sculpt/value quality

Haytil, you're not gonna get any support in a Burton Batman thread saying a Nolan Batman figure is equal/better than a Burton Batman figure.

DiFabio alone will attempt to rip your testicles right off :monkey1

Last edited:
Quality-wise, DX02 and DX09 are in the same league. Except DX02 comes with more stuff and costs a whole hell of a lot less!

While both figures look equally nice, the DX02 falls quite short of 09 for accurracy to the source and suffers horribly in production QC. I also believe there's only like a $30 difference in price.

DX02 is nowhere near the accuracy of the DX09, and quality control wise as well, there is no comparison based on what we know so far of the DX09 (no QC issues identified yet).

Although I have seen collectors claim that this [DX09] is supposedly the best Batman yet...

I saw the same claims for DX02 back in the day. Collectors are in love with their new figures, especially since they've waited for a long time - they gloss over the flaws in order to justify their supreme love. In time, cooler heads will prevail, and more objective views will come out.

^ your thinking quality control, he's think design/detail/sculpt/value quality

Yes, exactly.

Haytil, you're not gonna get any support in a Burton Batman thread saying a Nolan Batman figure is equal/better than a Burton Batman figure.

Ain't that the truth? It's sad to see Batman fans and HT collectors split down such fractional lines. It's like you're not allowed to love Burton and Bale Batman movies and figures equally, and it leads to completely irrational and hypocritical attitudes and behaviors.

:rolleyes2

While both figures look equally nice, the DX02 falls quite short of 09 for accurracy to the source...

The "inaccuracies" are quite minor, and on the level of the "innaccuracies" you see in DX09. Design-wise, DX02 doesn't suffer from the TERRIBLE decision to make a nasty groove all around the back of the head for a PERS panel.

Sorry, but if DX02 had done the same thing (rather than access PERS from the neck), all those current DX09 and Keaton fans would've ragged on it constantly. Somehow, with this one, it's all too easy for them to overlook.

...and suffers horribly in production QC.

Not the US batch, which is arguably a different design (as it has substantially different materials that don't leak). I have had several for almost two years now, and have yet to see any leakage whatsoever.

It sucks for the other batches, and I'm not denying that I feel for those owners, but for the sake of figure design comparison, it's not relevant, as they're essentially a different design.

I also believe there's only like a $30 difference in price.

I think DX02 was pushing $180. DX09 is pushing $240. That's a $60 price difference, and more tellingly, it's a 33% increase.

Look guys, I'm not trying to rag on one figure versus another, or one Batman actor/character/film versus another. I'm looking forward to getting DX09 as much as anyone else.

I just think it's fair to say that DX02 and DX09 are easily in the same league figure-wise (except DX02 has more stuff and costs less), and that a lot of the love for DX09 is blind, new figure love.

Similarly, a lot of the hate for DX02 is the inevitable result of collectors moving on to new figures, noticing the small flaws, groupthink, and justification of otherwise irrational opinions ("KEATON > BALE! DX09 flaw is no big deal, but DX02 flaw is a huge oversight!!!!!111!!").

Haytil, you make some excellent points. Especially about the tendency for collectors to first show enthusiasm and then later disappointment after the hype dies down. However, I do think that DX09 is still more objectively accurate than DX02 even though there are some flaws (mostly in that it actually looks BETTER than the film costume).

I actually think that DX02 was almost there in terms of accuracy. The main things holding it back (besides QC issues) are the skinny neck and shape of the cowl. If those things had been a little better, it would be in the same league as DX09.

In a purely subjective way, I know that DX09 is in another league because I am certain that after owning this figure, I will never try to purchase another 89 Batman figure again (Returns is another story). There will no longer be a need. However, I have already gotten rid of my Bale Batman as I am not satisfied and hope for a better TDKR version.

Of course, going beyond accuracy, I do think the DX02 is a better value with a more reasonable price (at initial retail) and better accessories.

Wow, I'm not even insinuating that, because the DX 09 is better that "oh, Burton Batman > Nolan Batman". Why would you even have to go and suggest as such Nova? And Haytil, I like both interpretations.

I love my DX 02 and thought it was the greatest thing figure when it came out (I still love it) but there's no denying that this DX 09 kills it in terms of quality in accuracy and QC. It makes the DX 02 look like a pencil neck, googly eyed, fool. Did I think that when the specs first went up? Not really. Over time though you notice things, especially when you see mods/customs shoved down your throat as soon as it's released. I think it's telling that there isn't a single mod for the DX 09.

Look at them side by side, there's no comparison. BUT, I'm sure when the new TDKR Batman (assuming they make a new one) shows up it will be on par with the DX 09 or better. Then there's the Returns figure. For the most part, these figures are constantly improving.

There is a difference between a 2010 figure and a 2012 one. That's all I was saying. Let's put it this way, if they BOTH came out in 2009 or whatever and I could only choose one, I'd go with DX 09. Film preferences aside. It's the better BATMAN figure.

Last edited:
^ i'm under the impression you prefer the Burton Batman to the Nolan Batman :dunno

Either way it's a Burtons Batman thread it's not unreasonable to assume there is more loyalty to Burtons Batman than to Nolan's Batman

Look at my avatar and gif, do I really look like someone who takes sides? I was in full Nolan/Begins/TDK mode from 2008 on, it was one of the reasons I signed up here.

Currently, I guess you could say that I prefer "teh Burton Batman" but I have modern, Nolan Batman product coming out of my ass at this point. Not that I'm "abandoning it" by any means, it's just not something I'm into hardcore right now. It's '89 Batman/Batman Returns time to be in the spotlight. I got my fill of collectibles from 2008-2011, I posted and discussed about the films ad nauseum. I'm not swooning about Bale/Ledger/Nolan Batman stuff anymore. I'll let it sink in for a few years and come back to it like I am with Keaton/Nicholson/Burton Batman.

Though I may prefer the '89 suit and Keaton to the TDK suit and Bale, that has no bearing on the fact that the DX 09 is better than the DX 02. There is no bias involved.

DX02_TDK_Batman.jpg

dxbatmanmain.jpg

Back