Hot Toys–MMS142-TRON: Legacy:Sam Flynn Cycle Spec +pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
godamn it. im one more delay away from never buying a damn toy ever again, i'd rather spend my cash on cars, motorcycles and crap i can tangibly buy without having to wait god knows how long for a company to give me their damn toy.

c'mon hot toys, give me that garbage and let me enjoy it. at this point, i don't even care if it lights up. (punches computer and dog). lol

godamn it. im one more delay away from never buying a damn toy ever again, i'd rather spend my cash on cars, motorcycles and crap i can tangibly buy without having to wait god knows how long for a company to give me their damn toy.

c'mon hot toys, give me that garbage and let me enjoy it. at this point, i don't even care if it lights up. (punches computer and dog). lol

You should be a comedian..

I have no interest in buying the 1989 Batmobile but I thought it was interesting they have second quarter of 2013 as the release date. It makes me wonder if it is because they discovered these bigger vehicle projects take longer than they thought they would.

I don't think this is coming out. It's not a profitable venture.

Has Hot Toys ever announced a product, showed a prototype and then abandoned it? Also, what makes you think this wouldn't be a profitable venture, could you explain more?

Here's my take...

The light cycle (like any new product line) requires an infrastructure be put into place. The assembly line, molds, and pieces for this collectible are UNLIKE any other currently in the HT stable. What that means is that there has to be a significant risk/reward value for a company to make the investment necessary in implementing a new product line.

Take the new predator bodies for instance. How does Hot toys justify the creation of a new mold and assembly line for them? Easy they offer multiple figures that utilize the same parts (i.e. shadow predator) Its the same reason, i believe that the t-800 from T1 was released.. to take advantage of the t-800 body they had created for the t-2 version. Same goes for reusing the Mickey ROurke whiplash body on the stallone barney ross figure.

Even so, we're still talking generally minor differences to the assembly and manufacturing process. With the light cycle there's an entirely different aspect. The wiring. The lighting. All of those aspects could make the venture a cost prohibitive one especially since there could be a lack of pre-orders on this. At least not enough to justify the investment. Cuz lets face it, Although I love the movie to death, the film underperformed disney's wild expectations. And although it wasn't a failure by any stretch it didn't become the next Avatar like they'd hoped.

Finally, HT could be waiting to see if enough orders come in to justify the cost of production. Hence why they keep delaying it.

The smart thing would be to offer a CLU Light cycle and thereby perhaps increasing the amount of pre-orders using the same parts available by up to 100% but it seems as if interest on the Tron line is so poor they don't wanna even commit an artist team to put the prototype together.

So THAT's what makes me feel like this is NOT coming out. Believe me I want it to. I've had it PO'ed since day one. It's just a matter of cost vs. reward. THink about it... would you enter in a business practice that you KNEW would not make its money back?

ANd just because Hot Toys has never abandoned a prototyped figure doesn't mean they never will. That's a blatant fallacy. THey had never re-release a product before either (tumbler) or come out with a version 2.0 (Iron Mark I). So just cuz no precedence exists doesn't mean anything.

^ they've never put an item up for order and then cancelled it, they've cancelled protos probably cos they didn't think they could manufacture them well enough, but that's not the case with this cos they put it up for order.

My 2 pence

With the light cycle there's an entirely different aspect. The wiring. The lighting. All of those aspects could make the venture a cost prohibitive one especially since there could be a lack of pre-orders on this. At least not enough to justify the investment.

And you don't think such a big company like Hot Toys would have looked into these costs, and whether it was viable before announcing this, and allowing people to pre-order it?

Companies (smart ones at least) don't just decide to produce something, make a prototype, show it to the public, and allow people to buy it without knowing whether it's a worthwhile investment. They even look at the worst case scenario (a product not being as popular as they expected), and decide if the company can cope with that.

If HT had thought that this wouldn't be profitable if less people pre-ordered it, they would've decided to scrap the project before announcing it.

Besides, if HT announced a product, and it became clear that pre-orders were well below what they expected, they would rather take a small loss than damage their reputation by not releasing the product and to have pre-orders go unfulfilled.

And you don't think such a big company like Hot Toys would have looked into these costs, and whether it was viable before announcing this, and allowing people to pre-order it?

Companies (smart ones at least) don't just decide to produce something, make a prototype, show it to the public, and allow people to buy it without knowing whether it's a worthwhile investment. They even look at the worst case scenario (a product not being as popular as they expected), and decide if the company can cope with that.

If HT had thought that this wouldn't be profitable if less people pre-ordered it, they would've decided to scrap the project before announcing it.

Besides, if HT announced a product, and it became clear that pre-orders were well below what they expected, they would rather take a small loss than damage their reputation by not releasing the product and to have pre-orders go unfulfilled.

Bravo! :clap You said it. HT will release this figure, they can't cancel it even if they'll take a loss.

damn i just want this crap in my hands already!

10zmqa9-thumb-570x456.jpg

I think if HT yanked this it would be a total blow to their reputation. I've already paid for mine in full and I would think the guys I bought it from would be annoyed to have to pass out full refunds at this point.
I'm not sure if we have enough information to say anything with a surety at this point. I don't believe a movie's box office always correlates into sales of high end collectibles, or even low end ones. The Predator series with all the movies combined, probably doesn't touch an Iron Man or Batman film, but Predators are a solid seller for HT.

I would be curious to see the merchandising take for some franchises because I'd be willing to bet Tron:Legacy sold well more merchandise than Avatar, even though it had a fraction of its box office take.
I do believe a lot of R and D went into this piece that would pave the way towards other figures, especially, with the Sam Flynn figure. I'm not sure if HT will decide what to do with the line until this gets released. I think alot of people have their fingers on the trigger waiting for the first reviews to post.

Plus--they've done these types of things before--many of their figures are very unique in what they require, with unique molds that can't be reused. There's the Batman Tumbler, Batpod, Ghost Rider. I think this is the type of thing even though the movie didn't do that great in the box office there's still interest in it and people like this design.

Plus--they've done these types of things before--many of their figures are very unique in what they require, with unique molds that can't be reused. There's the Batman Tumbler, Batpod, Ghost Rider. I think this is the type of thing even though the movie didn't do that great in the box office there's still interest in it and people like this design.

:goodpost: oftentimes people buy based solely on cool factor, like Skaar, tons of customers who probably know nothing about the character

Tron didn't do well in the box office? Wow.. It's one of my favorite movies... :(

It probably only did about half as what they were hoping for, yet it was still profitable.

From IMDB:

"Box Office
Budget: $170,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $44,026,211 (USA) (19 December 2010) (3451 Screens)
Gross: $400,062,763 (Worldwide) (1 May 2011)"

This is a big profit in my opinion.

Tron didn't do well in the box office? Wow.. It's one of my favorite movies... :(

:exactly: I think a lot of people were lost if they hadn't seen the first one. It was pretty easy to follow if you paid attention. But the same could be said about Inception which was also a great movie. It seems like it's moving more towards you either need to be brain dead to enjoy a movie or be what is deemed "intellectual". What happened to just having fun at the movies? This is very entertaining flick.

Back on topic it's a bummer its been pushed back again. But it's not that much a surprise. It just better be a freakn' awesome figure. If it's not I'm going to be very bummed out. :(

SNSGUY

From IMDB:

"Box Office
Budget: $170,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $44,026,211 (USA) (19 December 2010) (3451 Screens)
Gross: $400,062,763 (Worldwide) (1 May 2011)"

This is a big profit in my opinion.

:goodpost:

Some companies consider things a failure unless they make Billions BILLions i say!!!!!!! Mwahahaha

Back