Horror book recommendations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so has anyone else up here read Locke & Key? I bought the trade paperback cause I missed the comics but I think it's friggin great. I just now got caught up on the issues I missed of the second series. I know this is more a comics series and not a book book but just wanted to know if anyone has given this a read and what they thought.

Just finished The Taking. Good book :rock

More recommendations people :tap

Day to Day Armageddon
by JL Bourne

Plague of the Dead
Thunder and Ashes
by Z.A Recht

World War Z
by Max Brooks

If you want a really twisted book, read Stephen King's The Dark Half or Barker's Books of Blood or Mr. Begone

Day to Day Armageddon
by JL Bourne

Plague of the Dead
Thunder and Ashes
by Z.A Recht

World War Z
by Max Brooks

If you want a really twisted book, read Stephen King's The Dark Half or Barker's Books of Blood or Mr. Begone

I will check those out :rock

I have read Barkers Books of Blood and Mr. B Gone, just read that one a couple months ago, fun book and really nicely presented too :rock

Started Patient Zero by Jonathan Maeberry today, only about 80 pages in, so far so good :rock

I have read Barkers Books of Blood and Mr. B Gone, just read that one a couple months ago, fun book and really nicely presented too :rock

Started Patient Zero by Jonathan Maeberry today, only about 80 pages in, so far so good :rock

I only read volume 2 of Books of Blood. And really liked it. Now I have to get the other volumes.

If you've got an open mind, a bit of patience (it starts of reeeeeeeeeeally slow) and are looking for an inspiring tale and one hell of a marathon read, you might also want to try Barker's Imajica.

If you've got an open mind, a bit of patience (it starts of reeeeeeeeeeally slow) and are looking for an inspiring tale and one hell of a marathon read, you might also want to try Barker's Imajica.

I have it, have had for at least 10 years, and have started no less than 3 times, but I can never get into it :lol

I have heard so many great reviews on it, but I just cant seem to get into it.

Once of these days I WILL FINISH THAT BOOK!

Another Barker book a I really love is The Thief of Always. Its not your typical Barker book, but it has been one of my favs from him.

Also really like The Damnation Game. Havent read it in about 15 years. I need to pick it up again and give it another read.

Last edited:
I have it, have had for at least 10 years, and have started no less than 3 times, but I can never get into it :lol

I have heard so many great reviews on it, but I just cant seem to get into it.

Once of these days I WILL FINISH THAT BOOK!

Another Barker book a I really love is The Thief of Always. Its not your typical Barker book, but it has been one of my favs from him.

Also really like The Damnation Game. Havent read it in about 15 years. I need to pick it up again and give it another read.

I feel ya bud. :lol I have the 1st Edition hardcover (RJ will probably say that doesn't exist either :p). Took me two years to get to it initially and I got about 200 or so pages in and stopped the first time. 4 years after that I just figured, ^^^^ it, if I read The Stand "Director's Cut," I can do this. Once you push past that hump and actually get to Imajica (in the story), it's a hella fast read.

Anything by Michael Slade. Mostly serial killer stuff based around a fictitious RCMP team, but full of amazing info & grisly stuff. More frightening because it's not supernatural.

The Strain by Del Toro, wow, just wow

Took a break from the horror books to read a book called Orcs, actually three books, not that great of a read. Decent, but nothing I would recommend.

But went back to the Damnation Game by Clive Baker, I had forgotten more about this book than I remembered. Just finished it, what a sick and twisted read that was :google

Barker is on a whole different level. I would hate to spend a night in that guys mind :lol

Good read though, recommend it :rock

Right now I'm reading Barker's In The Flesh and the first story in it called In The Flesh was horrible. Now I'm onto The Unknown which I believe is Candyman. It's playing out like the movie.

If you guys enjoy highly literary, very long books, I would recommend Dan Simmons' The Terror and Drood.
Both are not quite "horror" novels, but are very disturbing and disquieting.
Awesome reads.

Took a break from the horror books to read a book called Orcs, actually three books, not that great of a read. Decent, but nothing I would recommend.

But went back to the Damnation Game by Clive Baker, I had forgotten more about this book than I remembered. Just finished it, what a sick and twisted read that was :google

Barker is on a whole different level. I would hate to spend a night in that guys mind :lol

Good read though, recommend it :rock

Great! Now you can restart Imajica. :tap :p

Seriously though, you just have to force yourself through the first part of it. Once whatshisface actually gets to Imajica, it takes off. Trust me.

Just finished The Unknown. Pretty good. I didn't care for the Candyman movie but this was good. Next up in it to read is The Madonna.

If you guys enjoy highly literary, very long books, I would recommend Dan Simmons' The Terror and Drood.
Both are not quite "horror" novels, but are very disturbing and disquieting.
Awesome reads.

Yes indeed, his science fiction is also very very good!

Back