HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will go down as one of the worst episodes of television history. You may be tempted to say what sensational ******** but just wait and watch.

Initial reactions have been overwhelmingly negative. You cannot satisfy everyone nor should you try but you have to earn a narrative with proper setup, time, explanation, motive, etc all of which were not on display here.

Daenerys performed the act she did not because of any traumas or betrayals she had went through but because the of the forced narrative and character assassination the writers decided to perform.

She as of this episode is the most powerful person in the world of Game Of Thrones. She just achieved her ultimate goal of taking back her kingdom that like it or not was built by and stolen from her ancestors. For all intents and purposes she had won and obtained all she had ever wanted. She then destroys her families century old Kingdom for what reason!?

If you wanted to portray her as a mad queen then have her constantly afraid of assassins in wait all around her in her own kingdom,encampment, entourage. Have her blaming this person for treachery and executing them without proof. You wanna say the betrayals and loss she has suffered broke her, hell she lost her country shortly around the time of her birth, was sold by her brother, raped by her husband, and still for 7 seasons was vastly a wise and compassionate ruler. Keep in mind she is a hot blooded Targaryen 20 yr old with dragons so she is definitely going to be ruthless and make mistakes at times, but mass murder and destruction of your own kingdom in 1 day... Nah that is piss poor writing at best and character assassination at worst.

14cabc4196ea1ed21dc33e211b843005.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually like that Dani is turning into a villain. But I don't like how they did it exactly. Seems rushed and unrealistic. Whoever said there should have been hint all along that she has a bit of paranoia, constantly thinking there are spies amongst her, is a good idea. Also having her accuse someone that is clearly innocent and executing them would be good -- instead of Varys, who was plotting, maybe she should have accused Grey Worm... and executed him. I would have said Tyrion, but I'd hate to see him go like this. But it would be a dramatic moment.

Agree with the comments.

Also just logistically it makes NO SENSE - after taking out the ballista, why did Daenerys go street after street burning up all those civilians, when she was really pissed at cersei and her goons.

She has a freaking dragon that can fly, why not just fly directly to the red keep and burn it down instead of meticulously going block by block burning the outer neighborhoods and killing civilians first, especially if she was full of rage.

I can at least understand if Cersei embedded ballista or other threats to the dragon with the civilians on those streets, that Daenerys decided to burn the civilians in a fit of rage in order to neutralize the threats to her dragon. But there was nothing after the ballista were destroyed, she can fly directly to the redkeep / Cersei unchallenged. So why the f did she waste 50 min of this episode going street to street burning kids and civilians. She is not Ramsay, she is not sadistic, none of this make any sense.

She's sulky because her own nephew doesn't wanna bang her e.g. the rule by fear thing - whining about being alone and unloved or some *&&^%. So basically, if Jon had opted to keep her busy for one night, she would've been in a good mood and the city wouldn't have gone up in flames.

I guess the point was to make her hated so no-one cares when she gets bumped off. Tho I could see her being pregnant by Jon, and she lives long enough to have a baby before Tyrion (or I hope Jaqen having been hired by Varys before his death) deletes her. Jon ends up reluctant King.

The last scene will be Dany's child having a Satanic/Omen moment to let the audience know it's all gonna start again e.g. the coin landed wrong and Jon or Tyrion realizing the kid is like Joeffrey.

Imagine how all the parents feel after naming their daughter Khaleesi or Daenerys lol

Loving these memes Spartan Rex. Amazes me how quickly such genius lols come out.

Imagine how all the parents feel after naming their daughter Khaleesi or Daenerys lol

:lol

Oh dear oh dear.

I know there's been hints, I know there's been foreshadowing...but I still didn't think they'd go there with Dany - basically for that^ reason. She has been ''the strong female character'' for all these years, idealistic and mostly saying the right things and punishing the right people and, even if circumstances threatened to change this, you felt that with the right people around her, she'd ultimately make the right call. Someone said it a few weeks back that Dany would end up being the villain and I thought 'nah'. Well here we are. Now lets see if SW Episode IX turns Rey into the villain and Kylo Ren into the hero. Somehow I doubt it.

I'm not sure how I feel about where they've taken things but I remain very interested in the last episode.

I liked the episode overall - it was visually stunning and the cinematography was cool. It really made you feel like you were on the ground during the battle. As for Dany's motivation for burning everyone, I think the other thing people are overlooking is that there was also a tactical reason for doing it - she did it to instill fear in the masses in order to protect against future challengers to the throne. That said, I agree that her turn to the darkside felt rushed.

Great episode 5. Love what they’re doing with the Daenerys character. Tired of the whole mother of chains breaker of dragons persona.

I was actually hoping she became the next nightking. And Jon snow King of Westeros. Fire becomes ice and snow becomes fire.

Do you have a historical example?

What are you trying to reduce Dany down to so that you gauge whether or not it's believable? A historical example of another seemingly "good" person on a conquest for power that turns evil? I'm not sure I can you a historical figure that neatly checks all the items on your comparison list but I'd say it happens thousands of times a day - from small (domestic violence) to large scale transgressions (shooting sprees) stemming from a crack in someone's mental state. Power was corrupting her, she lost her child, she then lost her one love in Jorah, she lost her second child and she lost her best friend. Arm that person with a gun or dragon, and yeah - it's no surprise they would burn ***** up.

So what do you guys think Varys set in motion before he was killed with the messages and the girl? Leaking to all the kingdoms and plotting to poison Dany?

Great episode 5. Love what they’re doing with the Daenerys character. Tired of the whole mother of chains breaker of dragons persona.

I was actually hoping she became the next nightking. And Jon snow King of Westeros. Fire becomes ice and snow becomes fire.

I think the writers wanted me to feel like Jon Snow must feel now. Shocked, dismayed, horrified and heartbroken. He didn't believe what others were trying to tell him about Dany, he didn't want to believe it. Personally I thought all the hints we'd seen up to now were red herrings and that the other characters were wary of her purely for the sake of minor drama - not that I thought everyone would live happily ever after - but I didn't really expect this.

I loved her more Hardcore Evil turn in this episode. Wish Lucas Film did the same with Reys character. :)

I think the writers wanted me to feel like Jon Snow must feel now. Shocked, dismayed, horrified and heartbroken. He didn't believe what others were trying to tell him about Dany, he didn't want to believe it. Personally I thought all the hints we'd seen up to now were red herrings and that the other characters were wary of her purely for the sake of minor drama - not that I thought everyone would live happily ever after - but I didn't really expect this.

Hmm... that's a very good point.

What are you trying to reduce Dany down to so that you gauge whether or not it's believable? A historical example of another seemingly "good" person on a conquest for power that turns evil? I'm not sure I can you a historical figure that neatly checks all the items on your comparison list but I'd say it happens thousands of times a day - from small (domestic violence) to large scale transgressions (shooting sprees) stemming from a crack in someone's mental state. Power was corrupting her, she lost her child, she then lost her one love in Jorah, she lost her second child and she lost her best friend. Arm that person with a gun or dragon, and yeah - it's no surprise they would burn ***** up.

Yes Particularly an example of a single person who was in control of a lot of power who had a history of being "mostly" just or benevolent who did a complete turn around. Basically Hitler esque person turned good but in reverse "Good" to "Evil".

Whomever said absolute power corrupts absolutely can't say that with any certainty until we meet said person. If that is the case then every god of any religion is evil.

I don't buy someone in a moment of victory after a battle committing genocide when their victory was ensured. Not to mention destroying their ancestral home that they have wanted nothing more in life than to take back.

Back