HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what do you guys think Varys set in motion before he was killed with the messages and the girl? Leaking to all the kingdoms and plotting to poison Dany?

Was just coming to post about this. I just rewatched the beginning of the episode...I don’t know how I missed this, and it isn’t explicitly stated...but I think Varys was trying to poison Daenerys. The episode starts off in his chambers and the kitchen girl enters.

Varys says “And? Nothing?”

The kitchen girl shakes her head and says “She won’t eat”...to which Varys replies “We’ll try again at supper”.

Keeps with the late Grand Maester Pycelle saying “Poison is the weapon of a woman...or a eunuch”.

Also, it's a silly nitpick because DRAGON but apparently fire-breath isn't just super-hot but it's also explosive and detonates giant walls like cruise missiles.

Dany and Trogdor, burninating the civilians. :lol

That's because the walls of King's Landing are made from cardboard.

Also that dragon can generate an infinite amount of fire from nothing and never tire.

Was just coming to post about this. I just rewatched the beginning of the episode...I don’t know how I missed this, and it isn’t explicitly stated...but I think Varys was trying to poison Daenerys. The episode starts off in his chambers and the kitchen girl enters.

The kitchen girl shakes her head and says “She won’t eat”...to which Varys replies “We’ll try again at supper”.

Keeps with the late Grand Maester Pycelle saying “Poison is the weapon of a woman...or a eunuch”.

Yeah, my guess is that plan is still in place.

That makes a lot of sense.

Maybe she had a little poison, which is making her go mad (sick).

I just had a (friendly) argument with my Wife about this. I told her Varys was trying to poison Dany, but she wouldn't accept it. Had to stop when she was getting agitated over it, don't want to wake the dragon.

Would also make his execution more understandable.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes Particularly an example of a single person who was in control of a lot of power who had a history of being "mostly" just or benevolent who did a complete turn around. Basically Hitler esque person turned good but in reverse "Good" to "Evil".

Whomever said absolute power corrupts absolutely can't say that with any certainty until we meet said person. If that is the case then every god of any religion is evil.

I don't buy someone in a moment of victory after a battle committing genocide when their victory was ensured. Not to mention destroying their ancestral home that they have wanted nothing more in life than to take back.

that's one thing that really makes no sense to me, is how she could just destroy the one thing she has coveted for so long and she could've easily had it without hardly damaging the city. I hope we get a good explanation for this in the next episode. I can see how she lost so much, piece by piece, but why all of a sudden snap when you have it won?

I know she said she will rule by fear after Jon snubbed her, but she could've just as easily rounded up everyone and burned them all up. It's also really weird that Jon didn't just say, we can't bang anymore because your my Aunt!

I figured Varys was trying to poison Dany and sending the letters out to all the kingdoms about Jon being the true Heir and for them to support him. What I don't understand though is what did Tyrion know? He ended up telling Dany that Varys had betrayed her. Did he know about the poison or did he find out about the letters?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tyrion knew Varys was going to tell more people when Varys warned him that "We each have a choice. Hopefully we make the right one."

Tyrion knew then that Varys was not going to keep the secret. That was the betrayal.

I figured Varys was trying to poison Dany and sending the letters out to all the kingdoms about Jon being the true Heir and for them to support him. What I don't understand though is what did Tyrion know? He ended up telling Dany that Varys had betrayed her. Did he know about the poison or did he find out about the letters?

That no good Buddha wanna be. What other evils did he do?

Great article. Some really good thinking behind it.

As for E5, it is my favorite of the season so far. I had a hunch from the start she would follow the path of her father. There were subtle hints of her temper and ruthlessness in earlier seasons. I agree things feel a little rushed but the whole season has been that way.

My wife read an article recently that HBO wanted a 10 episode final season but the writers wanted to end it in 6 due to upcoming obligations to Disney. Which I think is utter crap! It appears that Disney is taking over the world just like our mad queen.

At least the Hound went out appropriately. I always loved his character.

This whole change and the destruction of the kingdom and the look on Jon’s face leads us to believe he realizes he has made a huge mistake. As does Tyrion for that matter. I’m really looking forward to the finale now since I think Jon is going to have to make a very hard decision in that he will have to somehow destroy the person he loves and likely die in doing so as well. I also think Bran will help by taking possession of the dragon’s mind and using him to burn Dany’s Armies.

As much as I can’t stomach Sansa, she was right all along and has truly learned over the years.

As the old saying goes, “you know nothing Jon Snow “ but damnit you better start!!!

The article raises some good points, but it mistakenly rejects the premise that for us to get here with Dany, things had to unfold differently within the narrative. And for all the (accurate) talk of murderous monarchs, this character as rendered for 7 prior seasons, does not mass murder children.

The problem here is scale, and outside of that a lot of sloppy and implausible writing within the confines of a narrative built up for years.

What the writer of the article does understand is the irrational refusal to learn of the other characters. That much is in keeping with both human nature and Martin's assertion that his characters "make bad decisions".

My problem is not with Dany turning anymore than I had a problem with Anakin turning, it was the rickety narrative machinery that tried and failed to sell it.

I don't see Jon dying. It seems the Stark's will come out of all this without losing anyone else in their family. Sansa will survive, as will Bran and Arya. Personally I would like to see Tyrion and Sansa not make it, just because they have always seemed safe bets to survive till the end.

Back