George Lucas: "I'm Retiring"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passionate OT fan here, with no disdain for the prequels, but no appreciation for the OT changes. I'd love 1080p, 5.1 stereo versions of the originals, all cleaned up like they were brand new and made yesterday, but no, he doesn't owe anyone anything.

Fans made him rich? Each fan, to the extent of their own desire spent money on things that they wanted. If you bought something you didn't want, that's no one's fault but your own. If you wanted everything you bought, then you got what you paid for. I fail to see where there's any kind of debt.

You don't own something because you love it. The man is not witholding property from you, and it's not like you don't have options. The Wal-Mart exclusive bonus dvd's have been out for years, and now we have the Harmy edits.

I suppose you can hate him for it, but in the end, I have a hard time seeing what separates that kind of fan from the emo putz crying because the girl he wants won't put out.

Passionate OT fan here, with no disdain for the prequels, but no appreciation for the OT changes. I'd love 1080p, 5.1 stereo versions of the originals, all cleaned up like they were brand new and made yesterday, but no, he doesn't owe anyone anything.

Fans made him rich? Each fan, to the extent of their own desire spent money on things that they wanted. If you bought something you didn't want, that's no one's fault but your own. If you wanted everything you bought, then you got what you paid for. I fail to see where there's any kind of debt.

You don't own something because you love it. The man is not witholding property from you, and it's not like you don't have options. The Wal-Mart exclusive bonus dvd's have been out for years, and now we have the Harmy edits.

I suppose you can hate him for it, but in the end, I have a hard time seeing what separates that kind of fan from the emo putz crying because the girl he wants won't put out.

Finally some sense.... George haters, ranters, childhood memory defilement activists, he owes you nothing.... nothing.

It is painful to have a moment of brutal reality invade our internal happy kingdoms, but it comes to us all. In the grand scheme of your lives, it is only entertainment, albeit fantastic entertainment, even with the changes.

I hope that the people that feel physically sick at what George has done, and feel as though I'm stuck in a hurricane for my comments :)lol) can finally start to realize this and just let go.

Enjoy the movies in whatever order you please and don't carry this around with you, life is really too short.

D :wave

:lol

Interesting point.

I think George just lived long enough to see himself become the villain (the thing he hated originally: exploitative).

Maybe cast as the villain, but exploitation is exactly what I'm not seeing. Fans begged for a PT and he didn't want to do it. He gave in, and the past 12 years have been a case study in why he may have been justified in his reluctance.

I won't pretend to know why he didn't want to revisit the franchise, but his insistence on doing it his way says a lot. It wouldn't surprise me if he got tired of other people telling him how he should tell his story towards the end of the first three.

I'm guessing that the qualities that make George a reputed ****** among the fans and those who've worked with him are the same qualities that helped get Star Wars made in the first place. You gotta take the good with the bad.

He does owe me that. And it's not an unreasonable thing to ask for.

I'm not asking for him to remake his movies. Not asking him to choke on a bullet. Just for the movies I, and many others grew up on.

It truly is the least he could do.

It's something my mind cannot fathom. I didn't want to make another silly video for YouTube...but everyone wanted it. They gave my stuff some small recognition. I felt like they deserved something in return.

Scratch my back, and i'll give you thousands.

Sorry Celtic, your issue is mainly the revision of content yeh? Han shooting second and all that. Can't you just watch the original cut?

^ Because he physicality took away movies we loved.

No he didn't. The original unaltered movies still exist today. They just aren't on the shelf at Best Buy. But anyone that wants them can get them.

As a wannabefilm maker I don't see how you would love to be able to make whatever movie you want. And change it whenever you want.

Well, yes, I think most filmmakers, (my unprofessional ass included) loves to re-edit their films. However, if my original makes them happy, they can I have it. I'll release my directors cut. My true vision. The way I wanted it. If you want to watch my crappy cuts, I will not take that from you.

It bugs me. It bugs me as a film fan. As a human being. I don't think there's any other director that has done this. And they do "directors cuts" all the time.

You can get a lot more for a lot less from any truck stop :lecture

gross-bathroom.jpg

Where do I find this number!

Great Post
At the end of the day-your girlfriend won't put out...time to get a new girlfriend. Your girlfriend puts out for me but not you...its still time to get a new girlfriend!

George seems to be the only filmmaker in history who doesn't recognize that when a film is released theatrically it receives a permanent cultural stamp. Its a historic, defining moment.

The greater the historic moment the greater the responsibility to have it preserved. In that sense Lucas does "owe" everyone to refrain from destroying these artistic milestones.

He'll stand before congress to fight to preserve his own favorite films but when he's the one in control he becomes the ultimate hypocrite.

George seems to be the only filmmaker in history who doesn't recognize that when a film is released theatrically it receives a permanent cultural stamp. Its a historic, defining moment.

The greater the historic moment the greater the responsibility to have it preserved. In that sense Lucas does "owe" everyone to refrain from destroying these artistic milestones.

He'll stand before congress to fight to preserve his own favorite films but when he's the one in control he becomes the ultimate hypocrite.

This sums up my issue with Lucas.

I honestly don't care what he does to his films or what new films he makes. But the originals need to be preserved and made available on whatever the current media format is.

thats way out of context
he was specifically referring to outside parties being granted the right to make alterations, he makes it clear that those rights should still be reserved for the artists themselves. (nosferatu comes to mind)
as far as preservation goes the original prints of star wars are safe, publicly available or not
its the early films in american history that the National Film Preservation Foundation is standing up for

thats way out of context
he was specifically referring to outside parties being granted the right to make alterations, he makes it clear that those rights should still be reserved for the artists themselves. (nosferatu comes to mind)

I don't buy for one second that Lucas wouldn't have cried just as loudly if his favorite classic films were butchered by their own creators. There just wasn't a precedent for a filmmaker changing their own work and simultaneously working to eradicate the original version of said work, at least as far as films are concerned.

as far as preservation goes the original prints of star wars are safe,

In what way are the original prints "safe" exactly?

Lucas would go a long way in simply releasing the original versions on DVD/Blu-Ray and then continuing on with his life. The fact that he won't do that brings a lot of venom. In no way did he "rape my childhood" but I'd like to have the film that help me enjoy my childhood as I saw it as a child and not the way Uncle Georgie feels I should have seen it as a child. There are alternatives out there but people shouldn't have to bootleg the originals or look for bonus DVDs to get, they should just put it outright and be done with it. I don't particularly hate the prequels nor do I like them, I simply pick and choose what I like about all six movies and enjoy but some of the changes he has made wipe out some of my favorite parts of the original.

Rather than "saga" sets I think it'd be cool if George released a box set of each movie with all the various editions of each. I don't mind the existence of SE's, its just the erasing of previous editions I take issue with.

The fans I really feel for are the ones introduced to SW during the winter of 1997. I don't see anyone making the effort to preserve those versions. :lol

Lucas would go a long way in simply releasing the original versions on DVD/Blu-Ray and then continuing on with his life. The fact that he won't do that brings a lot of venom. In no way did he "rape my childhood" but I'd like to have the film that help me enjoy my childhood as I saw it as a child and not the way Uncle Georgie feels I should have seen it as a child. There are alternatives out there but people shouldn't have to bootleg the originals or look for bonus DVDs to get, they should just put it outright and be done with it. I don't particularly hate the prequels nor do I like them, I simply pick and choose what I like about all six movies and enjoy but some of the changes he has made wipe out some of my favorite parts of the original.

It's like you took those words right out of my brain! :horror

Back