G.I. Joe: Classified 6" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 34
I was excited to see Recondo and I will wait for a regular version as I don't like the Tiger version, unlike Outback which I really like the Tiger version of. My OCD is kicking in on some of the figures though. I may be in the minority but overall I liked the modernized redesigns and think the new figures like Dusty will look a little odd next to them since he is less detailed. Y'all know what I mean?

I was excited to see Recondo and I will wait for a regular version as I don't like the Tiger version, unlike Outback which I really like the Tiger version of. My OCD is kicking in on some of the figures though. I may be in the minority but overall I liked the modernized redesigns and think the new figures like Dusty will look a little odd next to them since he is less detailed. Y'all know what I mean?
Not singling you out but I’ve seen this a few times the last two days. I swore in the beginning people were complaining about the redesigns and now people are complaining about them having their retro look. Personally I like the mix but I skew more retro. I haven’t picked up Duke, Flint or Scarlet yet because I’m hoping they’d make more retro looks.

For most characters that got a redesign, I think you will see their Classic look at some point if warranted. They're probably keeping it "spiced up" for line variation and longevity.

For most characters that got a redesign, I think you will see their Classic look at some point if warranted. They're probably keeping it "spiced up" for line variation and longevity.
--

However we choose to interpret it . . . in the end Hasbro is simply doing what other brands have done in the past . . . "cash grab" in phases from those who'll simply accept whatever they produce for whatever personal reasons.

I agree. I think stalker and outback are the aesthetic balance i'd prefer. Dusty, the twins, siegie, recondo, bazooka (LOVE that bazooka) all look sparsely detailed with a more saturated color pallette. They are just renders though, final product will likely feel different. Your reaction was definitely my reaction as well.

Not singling you out but I’ve seen this a few times the last two days. I swore in the beginning people were complaining about the redesigns and now people are complaining about them having their retro look. Personally I like the mix but I skew more retro. I haven’t picked up Duke, Flint or Scarlet yet because I’m hoping they’d make more retro looks.
Yeah, I think there's a divide with the Classified collectors; Some are old school RAH kids that want faithful Rah designs, some are later RAH kids that want the sci-fi stuff, and a few are not RAH kids but want the Joes to be something they want (Not RAH).
Personally I'm collecting these because of my nostalgia for RAH but I'll buy a cool figure if I see one. Make them faithful classic RAH looks first then add accessories to update them. They almost did this with Stalker, he has a lot of classic elements but has a new rifle and a shemagh that you can change the look. They should take just one step forward and gave him a helmet and switch out vest then you can make both groups happy. What we were telling Sideshow to do with their Joes but they ignored us.
For a line that Hasbro owns outright, there's no excuse not to include extras at the prices they're charging.

Picked up the Command loadout from GRIDIRON STUDIOS and split the contents between my Command Duke and Field Duke.

http://www.gridironprops.com/store/p174/Command_Loadout_for_Duke_Gridiron.html
Man I want to buy some Gridiron stuff! With all my preorders I just can't budget a Gridiron order as well.
One issue I have with Gridiron, they put their emblem on everything. That Alley Viper set is really cool with the switch out skull facemask, but they had to put their gear emblem smack dab in the middle of the forehead! I would've bought one, but not with the stupid emblem.
At least they make a lot of things where you ether don't notice it or it's not there.

Man I want to buy some Gridiron stuff! With all my preorders I just can't budget a Gridiron order as well.
One issue I have with Gridiron, they put their emblem on everything. That Alley Viper set is really cool with the switch out skull facemask, but they had to put their gear emblem smack dab in the middle of the forehead! I would've bought one, but not with the stupid emblem.
At least they make a lot of things where you ether don't notice it or it's not there.
Oh wow thanks for that info, that's good to know. Glad I've held off.

Maybe I should clarify. I do favor the RAH designs but with a modern aesthetic and detail. A good example of this are Destro, the Alley Viper and BATS. They are virtually identical to the original Joes, but with modern detailing. Ones like Gung Ho and Scarlett strayed to far from the original designs. I like the new retro/Walmart Gung Ho and Dusty, but the big patches of camo don't look right compared to figures like Duke, Flint and Stalker. They remind me of "2-up" figures of the RAH, which is fine, but kinda disrupt the aesthetic they have established. I think its fine that Hasbro wants to do the whole Walmart Retro line in that way, but not have exclusive characters. For example, the only way to have Dusty is the retro version.

LOL. Between you and Bobby Vala, my collecting ego took a couple of hits this week. Before you even posted that, I had already ordered the Alley Viper set along with the Bunker Wall w/M2 which Vala totally eviscerates at the 5:30 mark of the following video:

Oh well. I know GridIron products are way overpriced but I just wanted to treat myself for the hell of it. Turns out, the Alley Viper set is pretty awesome, I ended up splitting the contents to dress my Alley Viper Officer. The Bunker Wall is just foam, but since I'm using it strictly for display, I'm not worried about wear and tear on it.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1070.jpg
    IMG_1070.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 20
They're still a couple of cool looking sets! The Alley Viper skull mask is loosely based on the V2 Alley Viper. I could just fill in the logo with some model putty then sand and paint the logo away, I just wish I wouldn't have to. I was shocked when I heard the barricade was foam, for the price it should've been resin. The Barricade still looks cool and you can look at copying what they did to make more barricades for your display. Vala has a good point about the GI stuff. You could also apply what he said to Mark2Designs on Etsy who is also designing weapons for Action Force. The 3D print stuff is always going to be a bit costly compared to mass production plastic stuff. I get the feeling from his comments in the video that he'll be making a .50 cal emplacement like the one you bought.

For me when it comes to Gridiron Customs, I'm just going to stick to unique weapons and sets, stuff that Valaverse won't make in the future like Roadblocks Ma Duce set up or the Alley Viper set.
Awesome displays Joe!

Yeah it seems no more restocks of the AV and BATs in my area. Hopefully SS, Spirit and Cobra Officer are shipping to stores currently.

The only figures I see on pegs are tons of movie figures and occasionally Flint/Jaye/Cobra Commander.
I did see a lone Gung-Ho at a Target last weekend, it might've been leftover from the BAT/Alley Viper wave or just year old stock.

Back