EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a few words about “TMP”.
Most of you “younger“ people don’t realize HOW MUCH that film meant to us oldsters.
I’m old school. I’m 60 + years old. I watched TOS in its original run on NBC.
We had been teased and tortured for 10 years with rumor of a new series and/or films, only to be disappointed each year as published plans fell through.
I was 20 years old when TMP finally premiered. It was the FIRST time that an Enterprise was seen on a BIG wide theater screen. It was AWESOME !
And the audience applauded when each of the main characters entered the scene and appeared on screen .
The story and the film may have been longer than necessary and a somewhat slow moving and lacking a fierce Vader-like villain. But TREK WAS BACK !
It’s a matter of perspective and experience. Of course you younger people can’t appreciate it in the same context as us seniors. Many of you have commented that you have only seen it for the first time in recent years on your home television after growing up first being exposed to the red uniform Khan and Klingon films or the sequel/spinoff television series.
You nailed it my friend. I'm a little younger than you, but not by much. Like everyone in our generation, I grew up on the re-runs. I used to fold the TV guide pages to remind me when it was coming on. And growing up on a farm believe me, there was little in the way of entertainment, so a Star Trek re-run was the highlight of the day. From the early 70's on, we waited, and waited, never daring to dream we would see another Star Trek, even thought the conventions in the big cities were starting taking off, or so we heard. And we WAITED for information, ANY information. It wasn't like we could pull it up on our phones or computers. Every month I begged to go to the news stand in town to get a Starlog magazine and scoured it multiple times to glean information. I knew when that magazine was hitting the stands. And then.........................rumors of a TV show. YES! Finally. And then............................not. Tidbits and rumors on Entertainment Tonight....................................if you caught it, because that sure as hell wasn't going to go into reruns. And then, it was announced, after years of waiting, a NEW TV SHOW! YES! And then............not. And then, because of Star Wars, we were getting a MOVIE! And when it finally hit the theaters, I was there. And......................what the hell did they do to the Enterprise? Why the hell is Spock a hippie? And what's with the pajamas? And is there a Gorn in that cloud that Kirk can fight, or a green chick he could bang? Nope. I left with mixed feelings. I was sooooooooooooo happy to see the gang again, but the movie.....................eh. But like everyone else has said, it's a nostalgia thing for us. TMP has grown on me over the years, not because it's gotten better in the directors cuts or anything, but because it takes me back to a simpler time and I understand now what my 14 year old mind couldn't back then, that this was what Gene thought when he thought Star Trek. And because I know it led to other movies. So there, for you youngins, a peek back to the seventies and why we hold this movie so dear.

Just a few words about “TMP”.
Most of you “younger“ people don’t realize HOW MUCH that film meant to us oldsters.
I’m old school. I’m 60 + years old. I watched TOS in its original run on NBC.
We had been teased and tortured for 10 years with rumor of a new series and/or films, only to be disappointed each year as published plans fell through.
I was 20 years old when TMP finally premiered. It was the FIRST time that an Enterprise was seen on a BIG wide theater screen. It was AWESOME !
And the audience applauded when each of the main characters entered the scene and appeared on screen .
The story and the film may have been longer than necessary and a somewhat slow moving and lacking a fierce Vader-like villain. But TREK WAS BACK !
It’s a matter of perspective and experience. Of course you younger people can’t appreciate it in the same context as us seniors. Many of you have commented that you have only seen it for the first time in recent years on your home television after growing up first being exposed to the red uniform Khan and Klingon films or the sequel/spinoff television series.
I'm in the same age group. I remember the applause in my theater as each character appeared. When does that EVER happen! Seeing the Enterprise on the big screen after so many years was a very emotional experience. Looking back and comparing it to TWOK, it wasn't that great, but at the time, it was all we had and we didn't know if more would ever happen. Good Memories.

TMP is an aberration in the history of Trek, particularly in terms of the uniforms.

Yet it does have something. It's an experience. I'll gladly take it over the likes of First Contact which I find barely watchable, though that's moot now since I don't care for any Trek after the band split up. (TOS and TOS movies is only where it's at for me now).

TMP was an experiment in the 2001: A Space Odyssey mould. It wasn't what I expected as a child, having grown up on the re-runs of the TV show. It's a film that grew on me as I got older, and learnt to appreciate its slow majestic qualities.

I don't think the original Mego action figures from TMP sold well, as I remember them dumped into bargain baskets at markets. I had some of the 12" ones (Spock and the Arcturan I think), and still have a collection of the 3 3/4" ones.

But the real nostalgia I have for the movies begins with The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, and those uniforms.

I'd like EXO-6 versions of TMP figures too, but really only the uniforms. That goes for the following films too. As with QMx it was about collecting a matching crew, so I don't know about Kolinahr Spock, especially if it is this hippy one:

11230907_10206683728594068_5783889736814641802_n.jpg

Or this one that was pictured as a figure earlier:

dd99qhr-0f4ca6a6-3c50-410a-801a-a6c0ddcd81c4.jpg

The collar of this outfit looks like that of his uniform undershirt...

90216d296e481add3485594cf162e7bc50cd5dfb.gifv

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(mid_2270s)
That page defines the high collar and flat collar versions of the TMP uniform and states:

The higher collar worn by Spock looks to be from the same undershirt he wore with his Vulcan robes when he came aboard the Enterprise, suggesting he may have simply put his uniform on over it.

TMP is an aberration in the history of Trek, particularly in terms of the uniforms.

Yet it does have something. It's an experience. I'll gladly take it over the likes of First Contact which I find barely watchable, though that's moot now since I don't care for any Trek after the band split up. (TOS and TOS movies is only where it's at for me now).

TMP was an experiment in the 2001: A Space Odyssey mould. It wasn't what I expected as a child, having grown up on the re-runs of the TV show. It's a film that grew on me as I got older, and learnt to appreciate its slow majestic qualities.

I don't think the original Mego action figures from TMP sold well, as I remember them dumped into bargain baskets at markets. I had some of the 12" ones (Spock and the Arcturan I think), and still have a collection of the 3 3/4" ones.

But the real nostalgia I have for the movies begins with The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, and those uniforms.

I'd like EXO-6 versions of TMP figures too, but really only the uniforms. That goes for the following films too. As with QMx it was about collecting a matching crew, so I don't know about Kolinahr Spock, especially if it is this hippy one:

11230907_10206683728594068_5783889736814641802_n.jpg

Or this one that was pictured as a figure earlier:

dd99qhr-0f4ca6a6-3c50-410a-801a-a6c0ddcd81c4.jpg

The collar of this outfit looks like that of his uniform undershirt...

90216d296e481add3485594cf162e7bc50cd5dfb.gifv

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(mid_2270s)
That page defines the high collar and flat collar versions of the TMP uniform and states:
Totally agree, though First Contact is fun to watch - it’s definitely not TNG. Don’t get me wrong, I love First contact but TMP is my jam 👍🏻

Nanjin,

Putting in my two pennies, absolutely love the TMP figures - especially as a 2-pack. Instead love and preorder for sure.

I know it all comes down to sales, but if you aren’t tackling any other TMP crew - can we please have an Ilia (probe version) to stand alongside Kirk and Spock please?👍🏻

That would be so amazing and quite the sight to behold (all 3 I mean)…

You nailed it my friend. I'm a little younger than you, but not by much. Like everyone in our generation, I grew up on the re-runs. I used to fold the TV guide pages to remind me when it was coming on. And growing up on a farm believe me, there was little in the way of entertainment, so a Star Trek re-run was the highlight of the day. From the early 70's on, we waited, and waited, never daring to dream we would see another Star Trek, even thought the conventions in the big cities were starting taking off, or so we heard. And we WAITED for information, ANY information. It wasn't like we could pull it up on our phones or computers. Every month I begged to go to the news stand in town to get a Starlog magazine and scoured it multiple times to glean information. I knew when that magazine was hitting the stands. And then.........................rumors of a TV show. YES! Finally. And then............................not. Tidbits and rumors on Entertainment Tonight....................................if you caught it, because that sure as hell wasn't going to go into reruns. And then, it was announced, after years of waiting, a NEW TV SHOW! YES! And then............not. And then, because of Star Wars, we were getting a MOVIE! And when it finally hit the theaters, I was there. And......................what the hell did they do to the Enterprise? Why the hell is Spock a hippie? And what's with the pajamas? And is there a Gorn in that cloud that Kirk can fight, or a green chick he could bang? Nope. I left with mixed feelings. I was sooooooooooooo happy to see the gang again, but the movie.....................eh. But like everyone else has said, it's a nostalgia thing for us. TMP has grown on me over the years, not because it's gotten better in the directors cuts or anything, but because it takes me back to a simpler time and I understand now what my 14 year old mind couldn't back then, that this was what Gene thought when he thought Star Trek. And because I know it led to other movies. So there, for you youngins, a peek back to the seventies and why we hold this movie so dear.
EXO-6 existence is all because of those memories that we have long forgotten or lost.

These long forgotten and lost memories reminded me of who I was and who I wanted to be.

This is the purpose of these Trek figures.

Nanjin,

Putting in my two pennies, absolutely love the TMP figures - especially as a 2-pack. Instead love and preorder for sure.

I know it all comes down to sales, but if you aren’t tackling any other TMP crew - can we please have an Ilia (probe version) to stand alongside Kirk and Spock please?👍🏻

That would be so amazing and quite the sight to behold (all 3 I mean)…
I can start on any series but how deep depends on you and those who want us to go deep. I will be broke in matter of days without considering break even point for any figures.

If that's a demand, I go deep. If there's no demand, I still go deep but for personal venture in completing a 1/6 Trek Museum.

BTW, if you want to do some personal production of Trek characters, DO NOT LET ME KNOW! Don't let me know who's involved.

My character is very clear. I helped anyone even homeless. But I also will go after anyone who jeopardize 1/6 Trek well being.

I could spend 60k attorney's fees for a $250 disagreement and make the other party lose 2 times as much as what I spent (he won the case with tears in eyes, and I was laughing working out from the court) I wasn't looking to win the case but looking at bankrupting the guy for $250 that he tried to rip off from me (he expected me do anything for $150) I don't make rational decisions. So please dont test me.

I just want to enjoy the time now without dramas.

Do, then don't let me know. As long as I have no lead, I won't do anything. But if I have a lead, I will do anything in my power to damage the other parties to the furthest extent possible.

I consider myself as a nice guy. But pixxed at my door then ring my bell so i know about it will surely make me take actions. I am willing to lose everything I have just to win a case. Don't make me do such please. I had enough of that life in Vegas.

I just want to produce good Trek figures. Please don't bring out the old me. I love the new me. He's much more enjoyable....

Last edited:
Totally agree, though First Contact is fun to watch - it’s definitely not TNG. Don’t get me wrong, I love First contact but TMP is my jam 👍🏻

I've always been surprised by how popular FC is.

I didn't like it on my first viewing, nor on my second even after finding a love for TNG.

For some reason a second watch of TNG (on Blu-ray) killed my love for TNG too, and I only got as far as the end of the sixth season. DS9 and Voyager always felt like lesser versions of TNG, so I hadn't been holding much devotion to them either.:panic:

I watched the first season of Picard, and the first three of Discovery, but it was more a case of watching them for the sake of it.

The Kelvin films never did it for me, so I'm only drawn back to the classics: TOS and TOS movies.

It was a handy revelation that focused the mind, especially in light of Nanjin going so far and deep with 1/6 Trek. Thankfully QMx only made Picard from TNG, so I only have one figure that doesn't really belong anywhere in the collection.

I've also found that focus in other areas of 1/6 as well. There was a time when I'd buy all sorts of things just because they looked good, even though they didn't hold any special meaning.

TMP has meaning, and the films with the original cast that followed even more so.

I love these sorts of threads where everyone starts passionately talking about what parts of the franchise they love, so many different takes - some we share and some we are completely opposite on.

For me I’d say my top 3 movies are Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country and yes First Contact.

I remember watching TMP on tape that my Grandma recorded for me endlessly. It may be on the lower end of the scale now but I remember watching in awe of the endless beauty shots of the Enterprise, of Kirk and the crew reassembled to save Earth with a new and improved, yet untested, ship.

fast forward a couple of years and we got the 25th anniversary VHS set for Christmas - queue endless marathons of the first 5 films plus the anniversary special.

In honesty just like I wish I’d been old enough to watch Ghostbusters, Back to the Future or the original Star Wars trilogy in theatres I’d love to have experienced what some of you along with the likes of Doug Drexler have been describing recently when it comes to that first big screen adventure.

I didn't like it on my first viewing, nor on my second even after finding a love for TNG.

For some reason a second watch of TNG (on Blu-ray) killed my love for TNG too, and I only got as far as the end of the sixth season. DS9 and Voyager always felt like lesser versions of TNG, so I hadn't been holding much devotion to them either.:panic:

I watched the first season of Picard, and the first three of Discovery, but it was more a case of watching them for the sake of it.

The Kelvin films never did it for me, so I'm only drawn back to the classics: TOS and TOS movies.

It was a handy revelation that focused the mind, especially in light of Nanjin going so far and deep with 1/6 Trek. Thankfully QMx only made Picard from TNG, so I only have one figure that doesn't really belong anywhere in the collection.

I've also found that focus in other areas of 1/6 as well. There was a time when I'd but all sorts of things just because they looked good, even though they didn't hold any special meaning.

TMP has meaning, and the films with the original cast that followed even more so.
I would say stick with it - you have one season left of TNG, which is certainly a lot better then season 1 and some of 2! I love TNG but I get its not for everyone, same with all the other iterations.

Both DS9 and VOY are definitely worth a watch, and are very different from each other even though both share the same universe/time period - I know folks, thats the point of them being different. You’ll like some and some you’ll skip or at least think “Meh”…

Everything post Enterprise is utter garbage and not worth anyone’s time - but that’s just me.

I tried to like Trek from 2009 onwards, but I just can’t and I shouldn’t have to try to like it. It’s nonsensical surface level shallow crap, with devolved characters who sound like they live in the 20th/21st century and not enlightened or well trained to be the best by Star Fleet.

I did have hopes for Discovery, but not much due to the “creatives” behind it. Alas my concerns and predictions about it came to fruition, so I gave up completely.

I’m in the same camp as Mike and Rich from Redlettermedia…

Hey, don’t get me wrong. I thought the Cloud sequence in TMP was too slow and boring, but I enjoyed the bulk of the film, since it was, as other “old timers” such as myself were able to revisit the original crew on the big screen. I’ll gladly take figures, any figures, of the TOS however I can get them. We definitely need the main three and Ilia from that movie.

I love these sorts of threads where everyone starts passionately talking about what parts of the franchise they love, so many different takes - some we share and some we are completely opposite on.

I would say stick with it - you have one season left of TNG, which is certainly a lot better then season 1 and some of 2! I love TNG but I get its not for everyone, same with all the other iterations.

Both DS9 and VOY are definitely worth a watch, and are very different from each other even though both share the same universe/time period - I know folks, thats the point of them being different. You’ll like some and some you’ll skip or at least think “Meh”…

Everything post Enterprise is utter garbage and not worth anyone’s time - but that’s just me.

I tried to like Trek from 2009 onwards, but I just can’t and I shouldn’t have to try to like it. It’s nonsensical surface level shallow crap, with devolved characters who sound like they live in the 20th/21st century and not enlightened or well trained to be the best by Star Fleet.

I did have hopes for Discovery, but not much due to the “creatives” behind it. Alas my concerns and predictions about it came to fruition, so I gave up completely.

I’m in the same camp as Mike and Rich from Redlettermedia…

It's personal experiences that draw us to certain things, and therein lies real nostalgia.

I've tried to create it the other way round: a great looking new 1/6 figure might send me seeking out the source material, hoping that I'll like it enough that it'll justify buying the figure.

Sometimes it works, but sometimes the feeling doesn't stick. I think that's what happened with TNG. For many years since it aired I'd regarded it as a soap opera. Then I decided to watch it due to QMx, and I actually loved it. Loved the comfortable ship and the interaction between the main characters. I watched DS9 and Voyager at that time too, but liked them less.

Later I decided to buy the series on Blu-ray. For a while everything seemed just as before: great ship, great interaction between the cast.

Yet I was gradually becoming irritated by some of the characters. Particularly Picard and Troi. Patrick Stewart was acting everyone else off the set, while Marina Sirtis was at the opposite end of that spectrum.

The further I got in my Blu-ray watch the harder I found it to get through the episodes. The box has sat behind my TV ever since, but I just can't see myself heading into the seventh season. I ought to have filed it away long ago on the shelves in DVD room.

I'm much more eager to re-watch the TOS Blu-rays.

I’m currently in season 2 of a TNG rerun while taking a break from DS9 - contemplating adding TOS into the mix - breaking up the shows with gaps and watching one of the others in its place rather than a straight brings brings back memories of watching after school on BBC2 in the UK - least interruptions now aren’t due to the cricket or tennis over running and ruining my night (fellow UK members over a certain age may relate)!

incidentally I’ve just been moving my shelves around and brought these 2 to front and centre.

This is the Picard I am most eager to see in the coming months and years, and ironically considering my comments earlier about previously not being interested over TMP Kirk (*) this is who I have next to him!

normally I do have First Contact Data with them but he’s gone walkies.
AE197D9C-71ED-45E2-BD9D-45A191BAFEAD.jpeg

(*) I mainly say I didn’t have interest in TMP Kirk as I’m trying my best not to double dip as I’m doing with most of my 1/6 moving forward!

I've also found that focus in other areas of 1/6 as well. There was a time when I'd buy all sorts of things just because they looked good, even though they didn't hold any special meaning.

Wonderful to know. You will find your true love in Trek through the 1/6 Trek characters that you collect.

Trek is an individual thing.

It's personal experiences that draw us to certain things, and therein lies real nostalgia.

I've tried to create it the other way round: a great looking new 1/6 figure might send me seeking out the source material, hoping that I'll like it enough that it'll justify buying the figure.
I've done that several times as well, also in 7" scale.

I saw the "Gotham" figures and wonderful playsets they came with, but did not want to buy a figure without having seen the series. I only meant to check out one or two episodes. I became a dedicated fan.

I bought Chief Hopper from "Stranger Things", just because I always had a love for sheriffs and figured I can use it in my picture scenes. Then I watched the show and ended up buying all the other figures as well.

I even preordered 12" Rick Grimes from "The Walking Dead" for the same sheriff outfit reason - I just couldn't resist despite never having watched the show and I doubt I ever will. Maybe he can have a chat with Mulder & Scully ;)

When 12" Logan was announced, I got the DVD from the library, watched the movie and ordered the figure in the same night, right after finishing.

Back