EXO-6 Star Trek "First Contact" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some great tutorials around. I follow Darren Carnall on Patreon and his are second to none and really easy to follow. He is a working artist though, so he can get busy from time to time. He is that good though, so it is worth the $5 a month for the base package.

There are some great tutorials around. I follow Darren Carnall on Patreon and his are second to none and really easy to follow. He is a working artist though, so he can get busy from time to time. He is that good though, so it is worth the $5 a month for the base package.
Darren Carnall paintup instruction video done years ago with my AOS Kirk and Spock actually revolutionized the 1/6 paintup. L

They were your heads, no way, nice! Those videos are still on YouTube now. He's progressed a load since then, if you thought that Kirk and Spock were good, what he does now will blow you away. He's taught me so much over the years. One day I'll get to put it into practice!

You should check out his Kylo Ren tutorial series.

Picard arrived from Planet action Figures. I must admit, I was a bit concerned at first opening the box, as he seemed to be quite dark in complexion but much of that is down to my lighting, so a proper display cabinet and natural lights is on the cards at some point. Great job overall.

Attachments

• 48647541-BE10-4D1F-8C90-315BCEC470D5.jpeg
    48647541-BE10-4D1F-8C90-315BCEC470D5.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 76
Picard arrived from Planet action Figures. I must admit, I was a bit concerned at first opening the box, as he seemed to be quite dark in complexion but much of that is down to my lighting, so a proper display cabinet and natural lights is on the cards at some point. Great job overall.
You'll also have to take into account that if displayed alongside Data, Picard will definitely look darker, due to Data's pale color.

That wasn’t the immediate issue, I do understand that. This was more as soon as the outer box sleeve was removed and he looked lobster pink. I placed him under a different light and saw an immediate difference so in time I’ll sort out a decent display cabinet, as it clearly makes all the difference.

You know, I thought the same thing, until I compared him to my own skintone and it's about right. I think we're just so used to Hot Toys - style coloring, where everyone is more yellowy and tan than they are in real life (though they have gotten better than they used to be).

I thought the same thing when I got my first couple of figures from Big Chief as well - they're more "normal" skintoned too.

Well maybe I'm just really pale, but my Picard definitely looks overly tanned and orange next to me. And also when you compare with something like the Marty reissue with its pale/pink skin tone.

It's something I can easily live with though, and thankfully Janeway has that more natural pale skin tone.

Imagine putting makeup on
This is an excellent analogy on how to approach that question!

In my point of view, Unfortunately it also has a tendency to look caked on like a makeup foundation would because you’re trying to make something look brighter it’s naturally going to require an opaque base layer.

the same logic applies to painting these heads. Old school doll or model makers would tell you to gunk up something with a silly primer coat and then a thick base coat… if you work with the flesh tone resin and layer transparent wide sprays of a darker flesh tone to texturize, then light washes for subtle shadows, contours blemishes or pink hues where there are typically more blood vessels like eyes cheeks and noses etc. then you are gonna to get a much more realistic result.

Unfortunately for a lot of companies hot toys included actually think their default base PVC tone is too gray and too dark, so when the texturing is applied it makes it far too dark.
I’ve had some success stripping off the base paint and repainting it all to brighten it on many hot toys and other companies sculpts to try and brighten them up a bit.

the ghostbusters that Davdjames mentioned were like this. They were dark and orange but once you stripped the heads the flesh tone was actually quite neutral and brighter so painting a new texture tone on top of that give for a much better canvas

@nanjin I love the burgundy color of the uniform and very happy that we got the vest too. The tailoring is top notch on these figures. Brings a smile on my face every time I look at them. 🙂

I wonder why. Is there a reason they used different red? I guess we’re the reds different on purpose or did it just turn out that way because they didn’t really put a lot of thought into it. I love Star Trek but I spent the time to learn behind the scenes info on the uniforms. I have actually really enjoyed learning more of the intricacies of Trek from all of these threads.

Back