EXO-6 Star Trek “Deep Space Nine” Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s no subjective on things like this. This issues are objectively apparent, hence the high volume of concern here :D throwing out maybes at this stage is just really offputting.
The biggest issue may just be the photography. That's the only objective thing. This thing is kind of a mystery. Apparently the pattern on the shoulders and sleeves is dark red and doesn't look black in person, and there's one photo in the bunch (easy to overlook) that doesn't have dog**** lighting where the face looks fine. The only real issues just might be the season 4 boots and lack of red in the hair, but who the hell knows how red or brown the hair is or about any of the rest of it really until someone goes and hopefully sees this in San Diego, or if the figure is in Thousand Oaks, maybe takes better photos of it?

At the end of the day you either take a gamble or you don’t. Even if these do somehow end up looking much different/better in person I’m not going to regret my decision to pass, as it just boils down to inconsistency. We’ve had a slew of great releases and equally disappointing ones. The quality lately from Exo has really seen it split down the middle and hyperbole, ifs and maybes doesn't cut it anymore.

I completely understand costs and logistics of it all. I get that doing certain things is very difficult in this scale ; I won’t dispute this or how much work is getting done. I’d at least like to know exactly what I’m buying. Oddly-lit photos, blurry teases, wonky eyes, fabric accuracy - just show the final product as it will look under normal conditions and don’t assume that people can always just throw £200 down on something based on assumptions. I’ve already sold several figures because they’ve been naff on arrival.

Again, either Kira looks like this or she doesn’t. Imagine just purchasing something because it looks alright at a certain angle/light. That seems kind of restrictive to me.

At this stage, bring on Quark and Odo. I’m all in there, so fingers crossed.

Really excited for Kira and for me she’s a definite must buy. I guess to me it just all boils down to this - does the figure look perfect? No, I don’t think it does. In fact I think a number of the Exo releases have some issues here and there. BUT as a huge Star Trek fan, I also know that this is my one shot at a high end 1/6 version of Kira, so I’ll be excited to get her and to put her on my shelf with the rest of the crew. I guess I’m just excited this line is happening and is as rich as it is. So bring on Kira, and hopefully Odo next!

We go through this every pre order announcement.

The figure in the preorder is a prototype, yes the pictures of it are horrible, the figures that we get in our hands almost always look better than the ones in the pre order announcements. Kira will be no different than the others, she will look better in hand then in these pictures.

As for the earring I saw a post from Nanjin explaining why they couldn’t use a proper chain earring. It basically comes down to cost. Some of you are already complaining about the price of the figure, it’s easy to see why he opted for the plastic earring. I’m sure someone will offer a metal replacement for those who wish to modify.

We go through this every pre order announcement.
Yes, you'd think EXO-6 would learn from their mistakes. Their prototype pictures are doing them no favors, and I would think their pre-order sales suffer as a result.

If I were on the fence about a figure based on these subpar prototype photos like Kira, I would simply wait until the product is in-hand and QuiGonFishing has taken a photo (assuming he bought the figure). lol I mean I could very well be in this boat with TOS Pike shortly.

I can overlook the black (looking) stripes on the outfit but the head sculpt is always key for me. Whether it is the sculpt itself or the paint apps or the placement of the eye decals, aside from a few figures, each has had an issue with at least one of those three. I just hope that there has been an update on the processes at the factory. (especially the eye decals...)

The first thing that I will be doing is updating the ear-ring. That plastic blob has to go. I've got some very small scale chain (if not mistaken, from model railroading) and will try to replace at least that section of the ear-ring.

I also am in agreement with those of you mentioning how the photography is not highlighting the best from the figures. In Kira's case, just this official pic shows (to me) how the left sculpt looks ok but the right one looks off:

458924-1689697038373.png

Yes, you'd think EXO-6 would learn from their mistakes. Their prototype pictures are doing them no favors, and I would think their pre-order sales suffer as a result.

If I were on the fence about a figure based on these subpar prototype photos like Kira, I would simply wait until the product is in-hand and QuiGonFishing has taken a photo (assuming he bought the figure). lol I mean I could very well be in this boat with TOS Pike shortly.
You'd also think everyone would have learned by now the promo pre order pics never represent what we get in hand.

If you are on the fence over a figure you are going to wait for in hand reports anyways, a picture of a prototype figure isn't going to change any minds. Especially when we've been burned before by companies.

IMO I'd rather pictures of a subpar production figure knowing that it will be workedon , so I can get a idea of what it will look like and being pleasantly surprised when its better then the proto picture, then a amazing proto picture setting high expectations, and then getting a sub par figure that didn't look like what I was shown.

As for why they don't hire a better photographer in China, it's probably to save money. Najin has talked in the past about the tight margins he's working with to get the Trek figures made. So why not just do it in house and save the expense of having someone film and photograph the FINISHED product, instead of the prototype?

Most of these figures are well into production by the time we see the preview pics (which is why they can get them shipped out to us so fast). So I wouldn't count on any tweaks to the sculpt or outfit.

I do agree the figure will probably look better in hand regardless.

I think they did the best with what they were given, similar to the Archer hairstyle. Nana Visitor didn’t do them any favours with her choices. That uniform wouldn’t have been my first choice. I still see an improvement in sculpt technique in these DS9 releases vs. VOY.

The Colonel Kira variant likely would’ve been easier to replicate and be more in line with the other characters who will have the later seasons look.

1689788819225.jpeg

Did my best to take the best promo image EXO gave us and perform a digital relighting to remove those ridiculously harsh shadows, and replace the purple ish blue completion with something more lifelike.

I’m actually hoping and quietly (cautiously) expecting Kira to look a lot more like this in hand.

Only so much I can do with the digital filter, but this is what I got:

IMG3616.jpeg

Did my best to take the best promo image EXO gave us and perform a digital relighting to remove those ridiculously harsh shadows, and replace the purple ish blue completion with something more lifelike.

I’m actually hoping and quietly (cautiously) expecting Kira to look a lot more like this in hand.

IMG3616.jpeg

AMAZING job my friend! :clap :clap :clap

Looks like you tweaked the eyebrows too? . . . AND (edit) made the eyes deeper (less "squinty")?

Now if we got THAT, I'd be well-pleased.

Thanks for the effort (and sharing).

Was not my intention to reshape anything, and to just give it a more life-like appearance. I think most of what you're seeing is the impact of how the shadows come off the eyebrows, but its also possible that the digital effect may have made smoothed out an angle or two 😬

Now that you mention it, the eyes look a bit wider too....sorry. :oops:

Thanks, I was considering doing the same.

I'm a fashion photographer, so the Exo approach is the opposite of my intuition that's for sure. What's the point of a product shot that keeps the product a secret?

The tiny change to the eyes and eyebrows do make this look a whole lot more like Visitor now. Gonna have to try to replicate this when I get mine.

A shame Nanjin is supposedly not open to customer feedback.

I can only imagine how input like this (if requested and actioned earlier in the design process) would have increased preorders :slap

IMG3616.jpeg
With all due respect, I think you're giving people false hope that the real thing can look that good. The physical changes you made to the eyes, eyebrows and nose-tip can't be accomplished without an actual re-sculpt. (Some could be accomplished with a re-paint, but definitely not all of it.)

With all due respect, I think you're giving people false hope that the real thing can look that good. The physical changes you made to the eyes, eyebrows and nose-tip can't be accomplished without an actual re-sculpt. (Some could be accomplished with a re-paint, but definitely not all of it.)

I don't think that's what our friend did at all. We're all aware of EXO-6's shortcomings in that regard.

What he DID do is show what could have been achieved with a bit of effort on EXO-6's part (through sculpt, paint, lighting & photography).

They would do well to hire the dude - heck - I'd pay him if it meant improving the figures! :)

IMG3616.jpeg
You really made the issues of that sculpt even more apparent.

Back