DEAR NASH

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gideon said:
When I was little and unschooled in the finer points of athletics I rooted for the home team like all the great unwashed do simply because that is the way its suppose to be. However, as I educated myself to the game that changed. I grew to appreciate the skills of players who were not part of the provincial neighborhood providence had placed me in. I learned to appreciate things outside the narrow confines of the hometown.
This is exactly my point of view as well. Growing up in Hawaii, there was no home team to cheer for. So I was forced to focus my attentions and loyalties to certain players, because no matter which one team I rooted for I'd always be sort of an "outcast" for not originating from that state or city.

As far as good times and bad times, Ive cheered on Steve Nash when he was playing 5 minutes at the end of games after KJ or Kidd got to sit out on the bench. Not to mention the Dallas fans booing him during his first introductions there.

Once Nash retires, I'll probably be cheering for STAT or Dirk. Ive never known what it's like to be fanatical about one team and one team only....and I likely never will.

nash said:
This is exactly my point of view as well. Growing up in Hawaii, there was no home team to cheer for. So I was forced to focus my attentions and loyalties to certain players, because no matter which one team I rooted for I'd always be sort of an "outcast" for not originating from that state or city.

As far as good times and bad times, Ive cheered on Steve Nash when he was playing 5 minutes at the end of games after KJ or Kidd got to sit out on the bench. Not to mention the Dallas fans booing him during his first introductions there.

Once Nash retires, I'll probably be cheering for STAT or Dirk. Ive never known what it's like to be fanatical about one team and one team only....and I likely never will.

I'm with you and Gideon. I'm from Denmark and the only i can follow this great game is through the internet. When i started following (and playing) basketball in '92, i didn't know anything about it but when i bought my first pack of trading cards i got a Shaq rookie card and that was it. I became a fan the moment i saw him and i have suported him ever since, from Magic to the Lakers and now the Heat. The Lakers are my all-time favorite team but my favorite team right now is the Heat. I'm a big fan of some of the old teams like the '90's Knicks (and '70's), Rockets, Sonics and Bulls, '80's Celtics (also the '50's and '60's), the Lakers of course (all decades) to name a few. And now the Heat (also like the '90's team) are my #1 team but i also support the Hornets (Should have been in the play-offs) the Nets, Warriors, Nuggets and Cavs. Plus there's a looooooooooong list of players i like.
So i don't know why home team super fans has to hate on the muti team fans like that, calling us flavour of the month fans or what ever. The game is what matters to me and propably many others, too.

Peace

(QUOTE=The Ill Jedi) That's B.S., sorry man, but there was two reason Shaq left (besides not getting along with Kobe). 1) He was jealous of Kobe's contract extension, if you followed the Lakers at all you'd know that during an EXHIBITION game, he dunked the ball rather hard then looked over at Dr. Buss and yelled, "You gonna gimme my extension now!!". He still had like 3 years on his contract if I remember correctly. 2) Because Lakers management said they'd never trade Kobe. He threw a fit and thus led to his departure. Say what you will about Kobe, but without him Shaq would only have 1 ring with Miami. (End QUOTE=The Ill Jedi)

I follwed the Lakers the best that i could, but it's a little hard when they don't show every game on TV (or any game, for that matter) here in Denmark except for a period between Lakers' 3rd championship and when they lost the finals. And i have heard about that game but Buss and Mitch promised him an extention all year and the contract negotiation broke down after the all-star break, i think.
And Kobe was mad jealous of Shaq because he was the main star and Kobe wasn't and because Shaq was making a buttload of money (big contract and stuff like that) and getting alot of attention. He didn't want the Pippen role anymore.

The ill Jedi said:
Yup, plus Magic had more rings than Bird and beat him for an NCAA Championship!! Eat it Gideon!! :monkey1

My Idol! :rock
MagicJohnson33x40-1800.jpg

Thank you Sir! :)

Laker Haters are funny, they don't even know what they're talking trash about, then they want to spout out statistics. :rolleyes:

Shaq gave us his best years and I thank him for that, but he has lost one too many steps these past couple of years.

I'm no Lakers hater. I just couldnt stand Kobe for a coulpe of years, but it's nice to see that he has wokend up and is trusting his teammates.

PS. MAGIC JOHNSON, THE GREATES POINT GUARD, EVER!!!!:chew :D My second favorite player of all-time.

gideon said:
from Bodie

When I was little and unschooled in the finer points of athletics I rooted for the home team like all the great unwashed do simply because that is the way its suppose to be. However, as I educated myself to the game that changed. I grew to appreciate the skills of players who were not part of the provincial neighborhood providence had placed me in. I learned to appreciate things outside the narrow confines of the hometown.

I live in Michigan. Sometimes I rooted for the Pistons - sometimes I could not have cared less. When I had season tickets for six years, it was mostly to see the rest of the league. I bought them the first year of the NBA-ABA merger because I wanted to see the ABA players such as Julius Erving, David Thompson and others. When the Pistons turned into a bunch of thugs and marketed themselves as THE BAD BOYS I gave up my tickets in favor of other pursuits. That was not my type of basketball and it made no difference that the honmetown team was now winning after years as the league doormat.

When Larry Bird joined the Celtics in 1979 I had a friend in Boston tape the games and send them to me for several years. I root for the team - and sometimes the players - who I feel are the best the game has to offer. Today, that is the Suns. I feel they play the best team ball and that is important to me.

Loyalty to the hometown? A quaint and small-minded relic of the small minded who generally cannot break out of their prison of limited knowledge and geographic provinciality.

I can appreciate the talent, teamwork and skills of other teams/players. Including Bird and the Pistons of old. You sir seem to see a Laker uniform and your biases kick in. I also do not jump ship when things go sour..One thing I do agree w/ you are that the Suns are a pleasure to watch.. Your comments on small minds and loyalty is a joke, as are you sir.. :moon

Last edited:
What is a joke - and a sad one - is your penchant for having to include these bare ass smilies in the lame hope of making some type of point. Perhaps you enjoying baring your behind .... perhaps it is exciting for you ... perhaps it is a turn on to you? I really do not know.

It is obvious you have some type of anal fixation.

Now I get it! It is some type of Laker mating ritual. :lol

Seriously, it really shows some twisted crap going on with you. A fact based discussion of the issue of basketball would be most welcome.

Wow I figured a guy who constantly resided in a fair weathered realm wouldnt need to lighten up.. You sir are a true paradox!

Oh, and yes I am twisted.. Very Twisted..

Bodie - a fair weather fan is normally identified as a person who follows their local club only when they are on top and winning. I refer you to Wikipedia

A bandwagon fan, also called a "fair-weather fan" supports their team only when it is winning.
I had previously explained to you - and several people posted agreeing with me - that I find the hometown obsession to be rather small minded and provincial. I am far more interested in good play and good teams regardless of where they can be found.

I had Detroit Piston season tickets for six years. They were very lean years - losing years. They were a losing team when I bought them. When the team won back to back titles years later, I had very little interest in the Pistons. That is hardly the definition of a fair weather fan.

If you want a fact based discussion of basketball - that would be fine. Lets just make sure the facts are in order.

In a discussion with rational and educated people a knowledge of facts and statistics is very useful in framing an argument. Rational and educated people who engage in spirited discussion or debate prize these traits.

In a pissing contest with fifth graders, other lesser tools seem to be important ............. at least to you. That is fine. By your words and actions you shall be known and identified.

Oh, by the way.. Unless you have a Doctorate Degree, I assure you I'm more educated than you...

On a side note, a guy making education cracks on a Basketball thread within a toy forum is truly pathetic.

Have you ever even shot a basketball before?.. So sad..

Now go back to reading your stat books, and pull the stick out of your ass please.. I find it disturbing to see a stick shoved so deep between one's buttocks.

Bodie The Cursed said:
IM LOOKING FORWARD TO GOLDEN STATE/ DALLAS TONIGHT!

GO G STATE!!!:emperor

Absolutely, and it will be a rather dull MVP ceremony for Nowitzki donch'a think?!

He has absolutely NO championship drive, wow, quite a push-over. :emperor

LOTRFan said:
Absolutely, and it will be a rather dull MVP ceremony for Nowitzki donch'a think?!

Dont count Nash out of a 3-peat yet. :cool:

nash said:
Dont count Nash out of a 3-peat yet. :cool:

I would rather it go to him, but I think Nowitzki will be rewarded for the record-breaking season in Dallas. However, he WILL be the first MVP to be ousted in the first round, since it went to a seven game spread.

:lol :emperor :lol

Back