DC Animated The Dark Knight Returns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I got year one as that was region free, I'll see what the deal is with this and maybe just pick it up from amazon.com then if I can. I didn't think it'd be too long till we had it over here as I thought part 1 was out fairly quick. Thanks for the info though mate.

No probs :)

Another confirmation here that it is region free: https://dvdworldusa.com/shopexd.asp?id=96718

Got my copy today from Movietyme

20130128_203220.jpg

Can't wait to watch it...going to re-watch part one first so will be a couple of days before I get round to it.

Neil

Yeah, I got year one as that was region free, I'll see what the deal is with this and maybe just pick it up from amazon.com then if I can. I didn't think it'd be too long till we had it over here as I thought part 1 was out fairly quick. Thanks for the info though mate.

Russell,

It is region free (all the DC animated titles are) Amazon refer to the fact that the DVD in the set is locked to Region 1 so that wont play on a UK player.

Get yourself over to Movietyme.com they have it in stock for £18 delivered

https://www.movietyme.com/catalog/p...55475&osCsid=576ce8d891118e6037dcdaede45d0bb6

My copy arrived today & was posted on Wednesday last week so just under a week to get here.

I use them for all my DC animated titles & they are great

Neil

Russell,

It is region free (all the DC animated titles are) Amazon refer to the fact that the DVD in the set is locked to Region 1 so that wont play on a UK player.

Get yourself over to Movietyme.com they have it in stock for £18 delivered

https://www.movietyme.com/catalog/p...55475&osCsid=576ce8d891118e6037dcdaede45d0bb6

My copy arrived today & was posted on Wednesday last week so just under a week to get here.

I use them for all my DC animated titles & they are great

Neil

Thanks for the info mate. Might order from there then if its cheaper. :hi5:

I bought and watched both parts tonight and really enjoyed it as a whole.

I thought it did a very good job at being both faithful to the original story while streamlining the narrative to suit the flow of a film. The animation was superb, especially during the fight scenes. I was very surprised by how well done the fight "choreography" was. Some real hard-hitting stuff. The fight scenes in the films are more protracted than in the comic, but despite this the pacing overall felt pretty good. Well, Part 2 felt a bit more rushed than Part 1, but that's probably because a lot more happens in quick succession in the second half of part 2.

I do wish they had found a way to integrate more of Miller's first-person internal monologues for Batman into the film. A lot of that stuff made the book what it was for me. Also, I feel that some lines of dialogue could have been better if they had more closely adhered to Miller's text -- for example, Bruce's last words to Clark at the end of their battle involved berating the latter about him becoming a stooge and a joke. This was taken out of the film and replaced with something about Bruce wanting Clarke to experience mortality like the rest of us, as if Clark has never had encounters with green rock or death before? Didn't sit well with me.

Some of the subplots were excised, which I'm not sure how I feel about. The interviews with citizens of Gotham being cut out was probably a good decision, but there was this one really powerful scene in the book - involving a mother who is killed attempting to bring home a gift for her son - that I wished had made it into the film, if only to underscore how brutal the mutant gang was. That was the aspect of the film that I felt was undermined by the paring down of scenes in order to keep the run time in check. However, The Mutants don't come off quite as menacing as a result. Still, the film does a better job of compromising than most other DC animated films.

The voice acting was generally on point...except in Batman's case. I don't want to be too hard on Peter Weller's acting here, because I think his voice sounds like a natural fit for an elder Batman speaking at a conversational volume. The problem though is that during moments when Batman expresses agitation, emotion, or anger, Weller's performance falls flat. I let it pass for the first half of the film, but as the movie progressed and the escalation of intensity in the plot developments required more emotion to be expressed by Batman, Weller kinda let me down. It was specifically Batman's speech given on horseback to the Sons of Batman army that bummed me out the most. That should have been a powerful moment, but it was compromised by Weller.

On the other hand, I loved Joker's voice. It was understated and almost serene, making this particular portrayal of the character that much more disturbing. As for everyone else, the main cast sounded how I expected them to, which is good.

I'm generally happy with how this turned out. It may be my new favorite of DC's animated films.

This series might be my favorite Batman film...great job putting the comic on screen...not 100% faithful but as close as can be I guess...and that is saying alot...great film

Went to buy from amazon,none on .co.uk and .com have it but its £19 with delivery. :( guess the price is going up. Will keep an eye out for a deal or see if the price drops a little.

Ah, that sucks. :( Rapidly fluctuating prices have become standard for internet shopping nowadays. Very frustrating at times. The number of times I've had to cancel orders for stuff and the reorder at a cheaper price! At least Amazon guarantee the lowest price with pre-orders. Maybe that's why I got it so cheap. :dunno

Yeah, maybe. Oh well, never mind. Will just keep an eye out for it. Checking out ebay too. Or might go with movie tyme. Thanks again for the help though buddy. :hi5:

What do you mean by ultimate cut? You hoping for a directors cut type of thing? Or you just mean a complete version with part 1 and 2?

Preferably, both cut together into one film. Though, it would be include if they included the two separate theatrical versions, as well. That's what was so cool about these two; if they eliminated the credits from part I, it literally picked up right where the first left off.

Just watched Part 2 the other night, and to quite honest, I was let down.
I think the filmmakers missed a lot of what made Miller's comic so absorbing. The juxtaposition of the interviews, news and parallel stories with the main action was what made many scenes powerful and engrossing, by removing that I feel the impact of many sequences was greatly lessened.
Superman's entry was completely botched IMHO. It is so much more powerful how he appears in the comic, out of the blue, as it were, just this amazing presence that is just too fast to be even seen. And the clamp-down on the media, the way they couldn't even mention him was awesome in the book. I feel the movie totally missed the mark there.
Joker was a bit disappointing as well. I especially liked how surprised he was in the book when Batman "shoots" to kill with his batarangs in the fair, that was lost in the movie.
Yeah, in general, I was fairly disappointed with these two movies.

I don't post much, but I felt compelled to say this movie kicked the hell out of The Dark Knight Rises.

Some may call it apples and oranges, and that's totally valid. But to me, this film accomplished a lot more with the character.

Rises is still the best 3rd film in a superhero franchise bar none (and also the best superhero trilogy), but as an ending and statement about the character (and his place/relevancy in Gotham), I felt this animated adaption really did a better job.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back