Dam Toys Godfather Don Vito Golden Years version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's kind of to be expected since headsculpts and the time/money it takes to hand paint them makes them one of the most costly parts of a 1/6 figure.

Once labor in China is cost prohibitive high end 1/6 will probably go the way of high end woodworking/finishings and grand architecture has here in the US. It's always amazed me how a lot of fancy old homes and buildings are still standing and were made at a time when machinery that would have made it much easier didn't even exist. Now we have all the technology to do anything your heart desires but almost nobody does because of the incredible cost.

That's kind of to be expected since headsculpts and the time/money it takes to hand paint them makes them one of the most costly parts of a 1/6 figure.
Yeah, but BBTS has been marking up their prices on sixth scale figures for a while. Looks like they?re charging $10 more for the tuxedo Vito. So hopefully this version is more like $280 other places.

300$ without a track record to go by is kind of crazy. I'm keeping an eye on this guy and the tuxedo version just in case the final product is good, but I'm not PO.

DAMtoys has been around awhile and their track record is very good. I know many know them for the Gangster line, but if you search around they have some very nice figures. Much like DID they do a lot of military. I think they may also be a branch of VTS or vice versa.

300$ without a track record to go by is kind of crazy. I'm keeping an eye on this guy and the tuxedo version just in case the final product is good, but I'm not PO.

I already responded to you in the other thread with references to their previous work.

It's on you to look up reviews on Youtube, or other blogs. DAM has been making great figures for about 7 years now. It's up to you to put in the work.

This looks like a gorgeous set and I think it vindicates DAM Toys and rivals the HT version IMO. It certainly has the same caliber and polish of a licensed GF set, not like the DID versions for example. Going head to head with HT?s excellent GF in a tux was a mistake because it would naturally draw comparisons and was glaring in how they missed the mark. What makes this nice is the depiction of the Don in his natural state, in a slice of life, vs. how an iconic character like him and James Bond are typically portrayed in their idealized state, e.g. in a tux which sometimes gets tiresome.

Last edited:
This looks like a gorgeous set and I think it vindicates DAM Toys and rivals the HT version IMO. It certainly has the same caliber and polish of a licensed GF set, not like the DID versions for example. Going head to head with HT?s excellent GF in a tux was a mistake because it would naturally draw comparisons and was glaring in how they missed the mark. What makes this nice is the depiction of the Don in his natural state, in a slice of life, vs. how an iconic character like him and James Bond are typically portrayed in their idealized state, e.g. in a tux which sometimes gets tiresome.

Good point. Maybe that is why I was more drawn to this. I really like the suit ans the HS is not bad. But I never owned a Damtoys figure and most companies disappoint me. Threezero and Hot Toys are good. Blitzway too. I think I will wait for reviews on this one before ordering.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. DAM's figures don't tend to sit around.

Though with Sideshow in the mix, they may elect to carry more stock state-side.

I still think it's needlessly cautious to wait on this one, I don't recall there being disappointment with a DAM release. If you think threezero is good, despite all their misses, you'll be pleased with DAM,

I wouldn't be so sure of that. DAM's figures don't tend to sit around.

Though with Sideshow in the mix, they may elect to carry more stock state-side.

I still think it's needlessly cautious to wait on this one, I don't recall there being disappointment with a DAM release. If you think threezero is good, despite all their misses, you'll be pleased with DAM,
I wonder if these Godfather figures will be different since they?re licensed. Isn?t most of DAM?s output usually non-licensed?

Guys

Has a Damn Toys sold out? Which of their release have you guys seen
so far has been the same as the prototype?

This one looks like a winner but you know how it goes with
Prototype to actual release

Isn?t most of DAM?s output usually non-licensed?

Not lately. They're never done any blatant bootlegs like "Heavy Armored Special Cop" or "Officer K". Some of their Gangsters Kingdom figures were cartoon versions of action movie stars, but were never promoted as being those characters, they made up their own backstories for them. Everything else they did was military figures, some of them used recognizable faces as headsculpts.

But nearly all of their recent work over the past few years has been licensed. They've done Warcraft statues, based on the movie, they have a wide-ranging Assassin's Creed video game and movie license, as well as the Resident Evil 2 video game.

My thought process is, the original Godfather figure became so sought after because people didn't pre-order, so limited quantities were made, then as more people joined the hobby, the figure's value rose. And we're already seeing people here not wanting to pre-order, the cycle is already beginning to repeat.

I see other signs like this figure being from an "unknown" company, (even though DAM's been making high-quality figures for years, people aren't familiar with them), it's very similar to a company like threezero, when they launched Game of Thrones. The show was immensely popular, and even though threezero (and 3A) had been making figures for a while, and had a good reputation, people didn't pre-order the original figures, and despite Tyrion being pretty good, Ned and Jon being a bit less than okay, they still fetch a hefty price on the secondary market, because they are essential characters in the line, but no one pre-ordered them so quantities were low. Similar situation with Blitzway's Ghostbusters, people didn't want to order the set, because they weren't familiar with them, then scrambled to pick them up once they shipped.

Now, retailers might understand this and say "Hey, the original figure skyrocketed in value, let's order an extra 10%" but realistically, they're retailers, not speculators. The speculation part of the hobby comes in on the collector's end. The stock available depends on the strength of pre-orders, not based on the retailer's intuition.

Back