Dam Toys - Godfather licensed 1:6 & 1/3 scale.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody have in hand pics of other DAM Toys figures so we can have an idea of what to expect?
And this is probably going to be only Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone, right? They are very explicit about having acquired the license to make MB as Don Corleone.

Their figures are mostly military in nature but in my own(humble) opinion, even though they seldom delve into movie licences(I?m excited for the godfather licence to see how they will fare), I reckon their headsculpts are second only to Hot Toys(Although the occasional other manufacturer will surpass the HT standard, it?s never that consistent).
Here are some images of their headsculpts from recent releases.

4ecf9ed4259edf1335851fc11c79f9ad.jpg

35c39d4d008555fd4ecb5449cc25d3c8.jpg

a8ec59ed3805a86931f93172d61ab1f2.jpg

e086872215bbaebaefe2996af434d2ed.jpg

0b4faa986a86881ef6e6b456bd80805c.jpg

2fac90e7043d6e0b15ceb3958bd8acb6.jpg

f0d921501cb5f04bf653c1843d30ad39.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that they have amazing tailoring...with that said it?s just a simple black tuxedo so they need to bring more to the table than tailoring for this figure.
As I recall when they released the Universal Soldier figures they had to get Blitzway to sculpt the heads for them while they did the bodies.
That was some time ago but suggests that sculpting may not be among their strengths.
The pictures above range from really good to really bad...

I’m potentially interested in this. Have to see product shots and price though. Vito is cool, but I’d kinda prefer a Michael.

Well, judging from pics, I'd say they'll make a fantastic Don Vito.
The tailoring of their figures looks amazing (and those intricate AC costumes don't look very easy to pull off), and other than the Monkey Depot photo, the head sculpts looks very good.
As for it being "a simple black tuxedo", I'd say those "simple" outfits are usually the hardest to get right... so if they manage to make a well tailored tuxedo for the Don, that's already a major step in the right direction to make the figure look life-like on the shelf.

They also recently did a few other military figures with famous faces that display excellent realism.

Khabib.jpg

JoeM.jpg

It's pretty funny because they even went to the lengths of sculpting in his cauliflower ear

KhabibCauliflower.jpg

It's pretty funny because they even went to the lengths of sculpting in his cauliflower ear

View attachment 494668

Wow that side by side comparison of the figure of whoever that is has now convinced me that anyone who was expecting a great 2020 version of one of the most iconic characters in cinema history is in for serious disappointment.
Hot Toys can rest easy that they are in no danger of being upstaged...on a figure that they released 12 years ago.
If these are samples of Dam Toys doing good work on a likeness then they should stop right now and let Hot Toys get the license back to make a Vito 2.0.
Using this as a gauge the Dam Toys Vito will come out looking like Tom Selleck instead of Marlon Brando.

Actually, I think the likeness is quite close.
The side by side is not a very good comparison, as the light is completely different, as well as the angle and the expression. Besides, the actor clearly had put on some weight when that photo was taken. In the first photo the shape of the mouth, the ears, the hairline and what can be seen of the shape of the eyes all look very close.
I'll wait until official and in-hand pics come out before passing judgement.

Maybe the comparison picture should reflect the actor?s appearance that the figure was based upon because those two faces do not look anything alike to me other than the beard and the widow?s peak.
Guess it just reaffirms what we all already knew that ultimately head sculpt likeness can be in the eye of the beholder.
Unfortunately Don Corleone is such an iconic cinematic face that there won?t be any wiggle room.
It will either look like him or it won?t...I hope it does...but I bet it won?t.

For what it's worth, Khabib Nurmagomedov is a UFC fighter, not an actor. He's a pretty big deal in that sport. He's 28-0.

The headsculpt is from one of DAM's Russian military figures, so it's not based on a movie. It's just a 'generic' headsculpt.

I'd imagine if you were familiar with the sport, the head would be immediately recognizable (it was to me), so for those that know who he is, the head might be worth a pick up, or for anyone who wants a realistic headsculpt for a custom. That sort of thing is a big plus in the military kitbash community.

That was IMMEDIATELY recognizable as Khabib, you guys are just ****ing ridiculous. Keep sucking on HT's Vito, jesus christ. Complaining about crap that's not even reveal, prototyped, or revealed. Get real.

Wow that side by side comparison of the figure of whoever that is has now convinced me that anyone who was expecting a great 2020 version of one of the most iconic characters in cinema history is in for serious disappointment.
Hot Toys can rest easy that they are in no danger of being upstaged...on a figure that they released 12 years ago.
If these are samples of Dam Toys doing good work on a likeness then they should stop right now and let Hot Toys get the license back to make a Vito 2.0.
Using this as a gauge the Dam Toys Vito will come out looking like Tom Selleck instead of Marlon Brando.

I disagree with this statement after seeing the Rick sculpt in hand and the ac figures they really do have the ability to nail this.... only time will tell.

No one is complaining about a non-existent figure.
It is fair, however, to comment on a company that DOES exist and speculate on whether or not they are the best fit for a license based upon their previous work.
I have no doubt that if Molecule 8 returned and announced a Godfather figure there would be tons of opinions before a prototype was shown.

Back