Casting rumors for next Batman movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To everyone commenting that is is too early to think about casting, ya thats probably true, but it's fun, and truly isn't that what movies are supposed to be about?

as for The Riddler? I think Depp would be to flamboyant for that role, I would rather see the methodical Riddler from Batman TAS give it to this guy,

medium_Transformers%20-%20Hugo%20Weaving-2cwx9h9k.jpg

Riddle me this, Hugo weaving as the Riddler? hell yeah!

Johnny Depp would more than likely do a good job. However for those of you who don't know,Christopher Nolan has not signed on to do a 3rd yet. Warner Bros said that they hope he finds a story he likes and wants to do a 3rd.

There will be a 3rd because Bale signed on for 3,but if Nolan doesn't direct it this could be bad for this movie. Nolan's vision made begins and dk what it is. If someone new steps in 'cause Nolan doesn't wanna do it then this could be bad. Lets hope...lets pray that Nolan does it.

I really didn't know what to expect from Heath as the Joker in TDK, but what I think Nolan did with Heath's help was take the essence of what the Joker is about, 'Chaos' and give it life and depth. R'as al ghul's character was about 'Vengeance'. Both these characters were reflections of the inner turmoil the Batman/Wayne was experiencing at the time himself.
Avenging his parents, Fighting against the 'monster he could become'.
A villain for the third act would have to express that 'negative reflection' of who and what Batman is now/next.
We need to ask where did we leave Batman in his evolution? Hunted, Reviled, out of control. Blamed for the 'Ills' he is felt to have created.
When Nolan Knows where Batman goes next, he will know which Villain to use.
Bane could have possibillities, if he were portrayed as an innocent, a victim of circumstance who's Innabillity to control his enormous brute strength pushes Batman to the point of Murder as the only option to stop him.
Similarly, the Riddler if written and performed correctly could push similar buttons.(I would like to see him portrayed as a Serial Killer, as sort of hybrid of Dexter and John Doe from Seven). Personally I don't see the Penguin working as a Major Villain for Nolan, but as a secondary villain, yes, that may be OK, perhaps along the lines of those suggested already as a Mob Boss of sorts, driving a sub-plot.
Catwoman may be too obvious a choice, as a 'darker female mirror' of Batman, having just lost his love. That has been 'Done to Death', in print and on TV and Film.
If one looks long and hard at the list of Batman's enemies, after the first half dozen or so they begin to become cliched and regurgative. So choice is fairly limited. One more movie is about all I think there is room for.
Casting wise, we will all be wrong. Nolan will cast against type, as ever.
He looks for whats 'inside' his actors, Not on the 'outside'. So I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess at this moment in time.

Last edited:
There are too many Batman threads.....check this out:

w8t0sx.jpg

Its fan made but gives an interesting idea of using the Riddler. Most think of the comic and TV incarnations of The Riddler where he is a wimpy, skinny man who is more jaded than any thing. The idea of his hands being tattooed with "Riddle me this" invokes the idea that his is more of a serial killer with the riddles possibly being more of a quark, something he must do instead of wants to do, a throwaway from his persona. If written correctly he could be as terroristic as The Joker if not more because his compulsive need to leave a riddle to point to his next target and a compulsive need to stick to that target....think "Miniature Killer" from CSI kind of compulsion. It could work...even though I don't think he'll be the next villain. I'm sticking to my Black Mask prediction.

I've gotta' admit---I hated the idea of the Riddler until I saw that fanboy poster.

Me too. But the idea of pulling a Zodiac has me intrigued. Especially if Nolan has the balls to not even show us the Riddler until the climax and it's just some random guy.

The poster is interesting, but I think they need to take the Riddler (or whoever the next villain is) in a different direction. That is too close to the Joker's motif. It would seem almost like a retread to me.

Keeping the Riddler's identity 'secret' (maybe we, the audience see him, but the rest of the cast never does) might be interesting, especially if he is playing a double-sided mind game with Batman. On the surface, he could be toying with Batman to solve the clues to his crimes, but he is also plotting a way to expose Batman's identity.

Last edited:
One could argue that Batman created the Joker meaning his flare for the theatrical so to emulate but still create and individual persona would be interesting. Start it similar only to have it evolve. It'd be interesting if the Riddler wasn't revealed as even Edward Nygma until the end of the film and is a police forensics scientist or someone else focused on specifics and details which lead to his insanity...have him helping Gordon only to be so intimately connected to the case.

Mr. Freeze would not work? Yeah right, if there's one thing Nolan showed especially with Batman Begins, then it's that any Batman villian could work with a little tweaking, no matter how crazy a concept. For example; IGN had an article on how various Bat rogues could realistically work, and they had a pretty good for Freeze. Since I can't find it I'll try to write what I remember. *AHUM AHUM*

Victor was nothing more then one of the scientists working for Wayne's company, working on various cryo-projects, the most important being one that would allow terminal patients to be put into "stasis", granting them more time until a cure would become available. Then one day, his wife is diagnosed with cancer, and she only has 2 more weeks to live. Victor pleads with the board to use his wife as the first test patient, but they refuse, and Victor decides to take a huge risk: He convinces his wife to do it and sneaks her into the tube. The days crawl by as he tries to keep it secret, looking for any possible treatment, but none coming, and in his frustration and growing madness he punishes himself by staying in the cold chamber as long as he can, soon only allowing himself to feel emotion when his body temperature drops. One day he goes too far, and his assistant only barely manages to get him to a hospital, where he stays in a coma for 4 weeks. When he comes by, he hears that he has been fired and that his wife was removed from the stasis tube...And that she had died while he was in the coma. Finally, something snaps in Victor's mind, and he becomes determined to do anything he can to make Wayne's company PAY for effectively killing his wife, using his expertise on cryo-technology to create various ice weapons.
No anti-heat suit, no mutated body, no head-on-robotic-legs...Just a grieving, vengefull madman who wants revenge on the suits who ruined his life.

As for other 'flamboyant' Rogues...Mad Hatter, owner of a tea house that's a drugfront, makes special hallucinating drugs that he always tests on himself, has a sick eye on the 11-year old blonde girl named Alice who lives in the house next to him...Oswald "The Penguin" Cobblepot, owner of the Ice Berg lounge who acts as an information broker to the cops and Batman, but who's secretly the biggest armsdealer in Gotham (using various small contacts to whipe out any suspicions leading to him)...Killer Croc, a thug who grants his nickname because he's so brutal and because he suffers from a rare skin disease/skin cancer that makes his skin look scaley...Manbat, erm....Okay, so maybe you can't turn all rogues into credible movie villians.:lol

Interesting, if one thinks about it isn't it the 'Press' who end up coining these names for creatures who exist like that in reallity & generally not the characters themselves, In a way the press turn them into charicatures of who they really are and, well, you know what they say 'give a dog a bad name.....' (see also 'self fulfilling prophecy').
The next movie DOES I feel need a major Villain as a 'Dark Mirror' for Batman, I think you could 'realise' (make real) any villain for story purposes but wether they'd be 'strong or have enough depth' is the real issue.

Re: Cher might be the new catwoman

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No...

Nolan is just screwing with you guys now. Next he'll say his choice for Penguin is John Goodman.

I don't think Nolan has ever casted without a script. Why would he start now?

Back