Can you become too addicted to your collection?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

action-Jon

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I was browsing online when I checked this user's profile (collection profile) here: https://www.collectiondx.com/user/10

And on his profile I noticed he mentioned the following:

Of course, the diagnosis of high-functioning autism- specifically Asperger's Syndrome- in 2002 finally explained my strong compulsion for such things throughout my life and even into today...!

We usually end up buying some of the things we want and sometimes we just do it because we want to and because we have a reason to, I just felt like asking, do you think this is a healthy hobby for you?

It hasn't been a healthy hobby for me. All my childhood and teenage years I preferred to stay indoors playing with and looking at my toys instead of being out cultivating a decent social life, interracting with people etc. Now at 27 I find it difficult to talk to people on the occasions I do go out, I generally just don't know what to say. I don't even have a facebook account which most people do because I wouldn't know what to do with it. I majorly lack confidence, I thought that would be resolved when I got a girlfriend but it wasn't. I'm the same as I ever was.

Also at this point in life (still living at home) I should be saving money but I'm finding it extremely difficult to do so. Theres hope this year, I've resisted a few temptations so far. I'd like at the end of this year to be able to say I bought only what is 'essential' to me - those things that I've always been interested in since childhood, not things I'd just like to have now because they look cool.

Those dudes on collectiondx have a serious robot fetish..not that there is anything wrong with that...just kinda funny to watch.

Everything in moderation is healthy. But still living at home and buying expensive 'toys' is not accepting responsibility of adulthood. I buy if I have the money to do it and it's absolutely something I am into and feel and attachment to. there are a few frivolous items but they are far in between

As long as it doesn't come at the expense of something more important, the hobby should be fine.
When people start defaulting on bills, not saving for retirement, etc..... then it's bad.

Just sold almost half of my collection I had after filling up the room I have leaving space for nothing else. Decided to stick to 1/6 figures and only buy my favorite characters. I made a bit of cash and honestly it feels alot better having less stuff. I think this is a hobby that can become extremely addictive , ecspecially when your a member of forums like this. :lol

Just sold almost half of my collection I had after filling up the room I have leaving space for nothing else. Decided to stick to 1/6 figures and only buy my favorite characters. I made a bit of cash and honestly it feels alot better having less stuff. I think this is a hobby that can become extremely addictive , ecspecially when your a member of forums like this. :lol

I think it's the forums that are more addicting than the collectibles. I bet most of us wouldn't have near the amount we do if it weren't for fansites. We get our figure or statue, mess with it for a few minutes then stick it on a shelf and it's back to the messageboard to see what's next.

yeah thats EVA_Unit_4A's, hes a good guy. Nothing wrong with that. I actually belong to Collection DX also and Toybox dx. I too have a robot fetish. Anyways I dont think anything wrong with it.

You must OWN YOUR COLLECTIBLES.

and NOT LET YOUR COLLECTIBLES OWN YOU.

Stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

You must OWN YOUR COLLECTIBLES.

and NOT LET YOUR COLLECTIBLES OWN YOU.

Stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

" The things you own... end up owning you. "

1.jpg

Yes you can.

When it becomes detrimental to more important things in life -- particularly family, financial well-being, or employment -- its a problem. If you have to lie about it, its probably a problem. I would also say if you're going into debt for it, it may be a problem.

But, so long as you keep it in perspective and you don't do more than you can afford ... you're good to go.

SnakeDoc

Well, I gave up on Aliens (The SS Queen diorama is my last purchase, might get the revoltech queen if the price is right), and I'm done with collecting if SS drops the Dinosauria line which is currently my only priority in collecting models....

Collecting has kept me sane this past couple years while completing my masters. As the degree winds down, the last place I want to be is on my computer. No computer=no forum= no collecting... that simple.

If it wasn't for the Internet, I wouldn't even know that most of these collectibles exist. I wouldn't have bought alot of things if it weren't for the Internet.:eek:

I think it's the forums that are more addicting than the collectibles. I bet most of us wouldn't have near the amount we do if it weren't for fansites. We get our figure or statue, mess with it for a few minutes then stick it on a shelf and it's back to the messageboard to see what's next.

If it wasn't for the Internet, I wouldn't even know that most of these collectibles exist. I wouldn't have bought alot of things if it weren't for the Internet.:eek:

I agree. It's all Dave's fault. I'm going to send him the bill for my psychiatrist and my bankruptcy lawyer.

Back