How soon do you open your collectible once it arrives?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearmodel

Super Freak
Reaction score
HI guys!

I was very curious about how fast you want to see that collectible when it arrives at your doorstep. I usually take a day, a couple of my friends take over a week and some months... And then we have those who open the boxes within 5 minutes after getting it... How about you? As an average, how quickly do you unbox?

Day 1, i don't really understand collectors who wait past a month unless they have a space issue. open yours to inspect the figure to make sure there's nothing wrong, even if you plan to put the figure back, but id wager once the figure is open, most people will want to play with them instead of letting them sit inside a storage bin or closet

If it's previously owned, open right away to check everything is there and in good condition.
If New sealed in box, as soon as I have decent time to appreciate it.
I don't buy anything to keep it in the box. I'm not running a store or warehouse.

Last edited:
I still have some from a year ago that I haven’t opened. My home office display room is a freaking disaster, and it’s going to take awhile before I can get it organized enough to open some of them. Others I open upon arrival or the next day.

Day 1 to check for missing or damaged parts. In recent months, I’ve had to return two collectibles bought on eBay. One figure was oily when I touched it, the seller feigned ignorance about the plastic breaking down. Another figure came with the HT box looking dirty and stained, the clamshell inside having been cracked as well.

One figure was oily when I touched it, the seller feigned ignorance about the plastic breaking down.
Several years ago now, I sold a sealed Marmit stormtrooper kit and the buyer opened a case because the plastic was oily (breaking down) and thought the box had been re-sealed etc. etc.

I refunded him without issue, took the kit back and re-furbished and built it, not a big deal for me -- do you think your seller knew about the issue? In my case I had no way of knowing because it was actually store-sealed.

Usually Day 1. A couple of days at most if I was busy with work or whatever.

That said I have a double of Classic Spidey I just haven't got around to inspecting because I've been pretty busy and it's a duplicate copy (in case my extreme posing ever damages the suit) of something I have on display -- I should *really* take a look at it. 😬

Several years ago now, I sold a sealed Marmit stormtrooper kit and the buyer opened a case because the plastic was oily (breaking down) and thought the box had been re-sealed etc. etc.

I refunded him without issue, took the kit back and re-furbished and built it, not a big deal for me -- do you think your seller knew about the issue? In my case I had no way of knowing because it was actually store-sealed.
The box was unsealed, which I had no problem with, and the seller specified the figure had been displayed before.

Sadly, plastic can eventually break down. I’ve experienced this with old TMNT figures from the 80s and 90s which feel somewhat sticky when touched. Years ago, I bought a Medicom Fullmetal Alchemist figure that had sticky feet. It could be fixed with warm water and detergent but this had to be repeated as the stickiness would come back periodically. These days, anything that’s sticky or oily is immediately returned for a refund.

I realized, I've only opened up three brand new figures out of all my 1/6 and 1/4 figures I've received this year, the Golden Armor Wonder Woman, SST Rorschach and QS Delux Mandalorian. Plus, there's even figures from yesteryears I haven't even gotten around to opening at all :eek: I haven't even't opened any of my 1/12 and other 1/4 figures and monsters/robots. The only other other things I've opened up are the loose figures and parts, since, well they're loose :lol

Last edited:
Speaking of, I was out riding with my kids and got a random phone call. It was the postie lol! Never had a call from my postie before, but this guy is amazing. He just wanted to know best places to leave my figures! I then rushed home and opened Cable pretty much straight away. I really have to get him some chocolates for Xmas!

Usually immediately. Especially when I get stuff from Sideshow, just because it arrives so quickly after ordering that my excitement is still fresh, and I'm always checking for any issues. Sometimes I let things slide with Ebay and collectors purchases and don't open a figure for a week or more. If I get busy with things it just happens.

I get so few statues (2 last year and 3 this year) then once it arrives I set the brown box on the floor and look at it for a while thinking "I can't believe I got this...so freaking happy" then I delay to open it after everyone goes to bed so i can enjoy the unboxing without any interruptions... It is such a joy :)

I was very curious about how fast you want to see that collectible when it arrives at your doorstep.

2s4gK0q.jpg

Back