IKEA Platsa Solution - My new display project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 67236

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m from Barcelona, Spain. I learned and enjoyed a lot in this forum and i wanted to contribute a little bit to this big community. This year i wanted to change and improve my display room. We spent a lot of money buying expensive figures and sometimes, like me, didn’t expose them like they deserve. I wanted to change that.

I always have been using IKEA Billy bookcases with Morliden doors since the beginning of collecting. I collect Hot Toys, LEGO and some S.F. Figuarts. I never used LED lights. Lights was the first thing i wanted to improve because this is a big step forward in the display as a lot of you know.

The first step was to think which display solution i was gonna take. As this year I’m starting to collect some statues, i need more deep, height and more supported weight in my display so IKEA Billy was no longer a solution. I thought to buy some garage shelfs but as i collect small figures a part from statues i was not happy with that solution. After that i thought about Moducases but a part from the time of wait, they are quite expensive. And in my opinion i think that for the price they ask is not a well polished solution in several aspects. Next solution was IKEA PAX but the basic structure offer it’s very limited.

Then i found IKEA Platsa… and i like them! Apparently they had almost all I’m looking for. Great variety of structures, sizes, good weight support, etc But the main problem is that they not offer glass doors. But as i didn’t found another solution and i liked a lot the white structure of IKEA Platsa and it’s affordable i decided to take that solution and make my own doors.

IKEA Platsa offer two deeps, 40cm or 55cm. I choice 55cm deep because I will receive some big statues this year. So i went to the IKEA Platsa online designer and I designed what would be the main structure of my exhibition.

The bottom row will be a big space for the boxes. I don’t like to display figures at ground level but i wanted something that would allow me to raise the first level of exposure and at the same time have space to store boxes.

Sin título-1.jpg

This combination costs 375€ entirely, which is just a bit more of a single DF60 Moducase cube. And here it is already build!

IMG_5685.JPG

See how many space to store boxes. I can fill almost 10 hot toys boxes in the 80x40x55 module.

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

I think it looks quite nice and personally i like white wood.

So next step was to work on the lights. Easy! I bought some aluminum LED profiles, difusers and all the connectors. As IKEA Platsa has some holes i only needed to close one and leave another to pass the LED connector.

IMG_5675.JPG

IMG_5733.JPG

In this picture you can see the led profiles supports attached and an L PVC profile that will hold the doors.

IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5692.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

For the doors i will use 3mm acrilic that will be attached just with a little bit of velcro because all of the weight is hold by the PVC profile, and I have to say that this was a clean, beauty and sealed solution i had! For me this looks amazing.

IMG_5703.JPG

To make it more stylish i put some white electric tape on the inside around the profile. And this is how it looks!

IMG_5708.JPG

And with lights on!

IMG_5730.JPG

IMG_5729.JPG

And that's the progress so far. Next week I will receive more acrilics and i will show you an update with more doors/lights on.

I hope you like it. I'm super happy with the result personally and if this post just give you some ideas, inspiration of something, it would have been worth it! Have a nice day friends!

Last edited:
Nice work so far! That acrylic door/pane looks really good and non-invasive.
I recently redid my entire display as well, so I know from experience how great it is when you create an entire plan and then you slowly see it some together.

I don't know if you are looking for further input at this stage, so please ignore if not: one thing that always bothered me with wooden cabinets are the holes on the inner sides for adjusting the shelves. They create a lot of visual noise in my opinion. Have you thought about putting thin white sheets or something similar on the sides to hide those?

Nice work so far! That acrylic door/pane looks really good and non-invasive.
I recently redid my entire display as well, so I know from experience how great it is when you create an entire plan and then you slowly see it some together.

I don't know if you are looking for further input at this stage, so please ignore if not: one thing that always bothered me with wooden cabinets are the holes on the inner sides for adjusting the shelves. They create a lot of visual noise in my opinion. Have you thought about putting thin white sheets or something similar on the sides to hide those?
You are totally free to comment, of course! That's something I'm still working on. I thought buying some plastic taps but first i wanted to try painting them white. I think it could work. As soon as i try i'll keep you updated!

Nice display these shelves would look really cool with riser stands and figures on top doing a layer; can't wait to see it full of figures. Also, eso explica el casco de Fernando Alonso :D

Back