1/6 Avengers: Endgame - 1/6th scale Iron Man Mark LXXXV (Battle Damaged Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just bad paint or a new mold?
New bad mold. Look how unsharp and undetailed it is compared to the prototype. Looks super cheap.

It looks like crumpled up aluminum foil.

sFoP5oq.jpg

Feeling pretty conflicted about keeping my order for this or not. (I'll probably wait for some more pictures to be sure)
on one hand - head sculpt is good, I still like that this version comes with the Infinity Stark glove arm, and I don't own an Iron Man and would like one for my collection.
However that battle damage, whether its the paint, the transfer from a plastic prototype to a metal production piece, a change of mold etc. looks cheap and lazy and considering how incredibly expensive this figure is that is a major problem - especially when it is the main selling point of the figure. I have grown quite tired of Hot Toy's corner cutting in recent years and would hate to support a release, especially one as important as this one, that they have clearly half-assed when I can put the funds I have sunk into this into other figures or statues.

If I was to cancel this figure, I would ideally need another Iron Man to fill the void - can I ask for people's opinions on which is the best Iron man figure to represent the character (if you could only have one)?
Mark 7 hands down. It's their best Iron Man figure to date.

dIfIUws.jpg
vEH33SB.jpg

New bad mold. Look how unsharp and undetailed it is compared to the prototype. Looks super cheap.

It looks like crumpled up aluminum foil.

sFoP5oq.jpg

Mark 7 hands down. It's their best Iron Man figure to date.

dIfIUws.jpg
vEH33SB.jpg
Great pics!!! For sure for someone wanting a single iron man for their collection, it’s gotta be this one. imo it’s one of the most iconic armors

Diecast Mark 7 is the best Iron man they made. Their highest quality piece. :lecture Sometime when you get a figure, you question if it was worth the price. When you pick that thing up and you feel the weight of it, its like a machined piece of art. You can feel the work that went into it. Lots of intricate details moving parts. Plus its got a bunch of accessories. All its missing is a Tony sculpt.

Only problem is those damn shoulder pads falling off.
Glad to hear that, as I just canceled this and put in an order for the diecast mark VII. Would still like to pick up an 85 as a cap on the infinity war era, but trying to track down a new head sculpt for the clean version…

Why would they create a new mold just to make it look worse ? :slap

It was already done. Its not like they're saving money. They spent more money to **** it up 😫

Why would they create a new mold just to make it look worse ? :slap

It was already done. Its not like they're saving money. They spent more money to **** it up 😫
Why? Because the old one (prototype) used the inaccurate Mk 85 design. The new one has the correct details (similar to the released regular Mk 85).

I'd honestly wait to see the actual final photos. If you don't compare it to the previous photos it's not that bad, but for HT to remove the figure completely, means they will probably work on it more... which is a good thing. Maybe we will get an announcement or something that has to deal with that.
Yep I see it like that too.

#weheardyou

50 is cursed, 85 is a great fig sculpt drama aside.
I beg to differ :(
Mk 85 was a horrible release and I'm not even talking about the HS. Seems like HT didn't learn they're lesson and are trying this bait and switch bulls**t again. I guess they're figuring everyone will just bend over for them because it's Tony's last suit.
20210730_162555.jpg
20210730_162859.jpg

I beg to differ :(
Mk 85 was a horrible release and I'm not even talking about the HS. Seems like HT didn't learn they're lesson and are trying this bait and switch bulls**t again. I guess they're figuring everyone will just bend over for them because it's Tony's last suit.View attachment 533021View attachment 533022
It's not really their fault they had to change a bunch of details on the final product because Marvel changed the final design from the concept art. HOWEVER, Hot Toys could have worked harder to keep the muscular silhouette from the prototype on the final product. They also botched the headsculpt. Those faults are theirs.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I really appreciate it.
That Mark 7 looks magnificent, so good in fact that I have just ordered it and cancelled this BD 85 - and I feel instantly better about the decision.
Great advice.

They actually made quite a few changes to MK85 from the prototype. This video does a good job of pointing them all out.

the shoulders are also mis-assembled and theres a mod to correct it to get the smoother arm, if you're brave enough to try it

the proportions especially the shoulder area looks so much nicer in the prototype than actual release for the clean 85

Personally I'm definitely not rushing to cancel this. Will await the in-hand video/photography before making a choice, it's not like the UK retailers will see it any time remotely soon anyway and I'd still like something to showcase that iconic scene. Hoping for improvements, but knowing Hot Toys.. I don't expect any.

I'm pretty disappointed that the diecast MK1 and this BD MK85 are not near perfect. Hot Toys should have put their very best effort into these particular figures and they have failed to do so.

Feeling pretty conflicted about keeping my order for this or not. (I'll probably wait for some more pictures to be sure)
on one hand - head sculpt is good, I still like that this version comes with the Infinity Stark glove arm, and I don't own an Iron Man and would like one for my collection.
However that battle damage, whether its the paint, the transfer from a plastic prototype to a metal production piece, a change of mold etc. looks cheap and lazy and considering how incredibly expensive this figure is that is a major problem - especially when it is the main selling point of the figure. I have grown quite tired of Hot Toy's corner cutting in recent years and would hate to support a release, especially one as important as this one, that they have clearly half-assed when I can put the funds I have sunk into this into other figures or statues.

If I was to cancel this figure, I would ideally need another Iron Man to fill the void - can I ask for people's opinions on which is the best Iron man figure to represent the character (if you could only have one)?
I went with the standard Mk 85 for my MCU shelf as it is a beautiful looking figure in person.
I also have the Mk 47 to go on my Spidey shelf with the Homecoming figures, and Mk 1 to go with my Cap First Avenger which looks like a dwarf next to the EG and WS Caps.

Hmm, not surprisingly, I echo everyone else's sentiment about the softened battle damaged details. That is indeed the entire selling point of this figure. The fact that HT made it look like crumpled tin foil for the production run is def a headscratcher. It's like they learned nothing from the Mk. 85 Tony Stank headsculpt debacle. That being said, at least the BD headsculpt still seems to be the same as the proto images.

I will hang onto my preorder for the time being since it's too early to tell at the moment. HT displayed Upgraded Suit Spidey with the ugly, separate webshooter piece, but in the final product that wasn't the case.

Anyways I see people are saying that HT removed the BD Mk. 85 from display. Is that true or just a rumor? And was that done so in regards to negative feedback it was receiving due to the softened details?

Diecast and blunt, rounded off detail- name a more iconic duo. But hey at least its heavy and costs $150 more than it should

I only looked at the diecast Mark 7 briefly, but I remember it having soft battle damage details as well. The Mark 42 definitely does, so the lack of sharpness does not surprise me. I do agree that it looks like it's missing some paint apps though.
I remember that. People weren't happy back then about it. Mark VI still holds the best BD.

Back