Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! It bugged me that Merry's backpack couldn't sit right. In the movies, the straps went over the cape on the top, but under the cape on the bottom. That way the cape could sit correctly instead of being bunched up by the straps. It also means that someone on the movie crew actually threaded the backpack straps THROUGH the cape.

So, I cut the thread that sewed the bottom of the backpack straps on. Then I cut a tiny hole in the cape and put the strap through the cape, then sewed it back on. It was a pain, but now the cape can flow rather than being bunched up. I can't find a great pic of Merry, but this pic of the Frodo prototype shows the problem pretty well. Also the pics posted by murdomac earlier kinda show it. See how the straps keep the cape from flowing? Not how it was in the movies.

FSlim000.JPG

Vs.

lord-of-the-rings-cast.jpg

So who’s ready for my thoughts on these? I got them last night and now I have had a little bit of time to try futzing with them.

Pros: Overall I really like how sturdy and fun the Hobbit bodies are. They don’t need stands, they hold posses well and they are even really good at sitting (straight legged, on the edges of shelves or tables with their knees bent and feet dangling and even cross legged. They are just fun figures. The sunburned look is gone and the biggest surprise to me is how well Pippin turned out. With the smile he is actually a very fun figure. My favorite 1/6 figure in my collection right now. It’s fun to move him around the house. The paint is great, clothes are mostly great, pints are nice and so are the stands but I doubt I will use those. I think even if you have the first set like me you will feel they are worth it but there are some issues.

Cons: The neck and head are now separate pieces which is not a bad thing but for some reason they look a lot more giraffe like them the others, especially Merry. You also get a nasty gap at the bottom of his neck where it goes into the body. The gap is hidden on Pippin because of the scarf. That being said, once you put the cloaks on this issue goes away at least for me. They also added two different hands from last time and one of them is a pointing hand which is great except mine are made of a different plastic than the other hands and they are a lot softer and have a very strong odor. This was true for both Merry and Pippin. It bothered me enough that I have left those hands in the box when at first I was going to use them and was very excited about having them (kind of bitter that Indy and Han never had the pointing hand). Lastly the fabric of Pippin’s cloak is very thin so light shines right through it. Not a big deal but depending on where your light source is it can take away from a great figure.

Those are my thoughts in the first 24 hours. Again overall they are very good and fun figures in my opinion with Pippin being one of the best if not the best Asmus figure to date which was a total shocker since based on the photos I was worried I would end up using the original suntanned sculpt. My wife is probably going to get tired of Pippin quickly because I am probably going to keep moving him around the house. He is sitting here at the table with his pint while I am writing this.

I ordered both and only the full figures have arrived so far. I wonder if they are looking at providing the pints with the sets. Maybe that is why they are delayed.

I think their priority is to ship the full figures first; then the separate heads after that. I received my "Slim" Aragorn quite a while ago, but the expansion pack just shipped last week.

Got my notice! Looking forward to getting these in hand.

I actually like the 1.0 sculpts a lot. (It's the "rosy" paint job that I had a minor quibble with.) I'm not sure if I will ultimately want to lighten the mood of my group display with these new sculpts, but I love having the option! Thank you, Asmus!

Hmm, I received my rooted hair Boromir, but havent received the Frodo/Sam or Merry/Pippin upgrade head sculpts. Hopefully get a shipping notice soon!

Damn, opened the little bag containing Merry's travel cloak, and one of the gold buttons is missing. I've asked Asmus if they can send me a replacement button when they send me the Frodo and Sam upgrade sets! Hopefully they can so that I can glue it on!

Missing gold button.jpg

Back