Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my quick review of the new Asmus Toys upgrade expansion sets for their LOTR Merry and Pippin figures. The head sculpts are a definite improvement, and the cloaks are pretty nice too (except for the missing button on one!) Hope you can check out the video! :)

My Merry, Pippen, Boromir and Sam that Asmus sent me has been rejected for some reason from Canada Post and are on their way back to Asmus.
Anyone else have this problem with them.
So disappointed.

My Merry, Pippen, Boromir and Sam that Asmus sent me has been rejected for some reason from Canada Post and are on their way back to Asmus.
Anyone else have this problem with them.
So disappointed.

That's weird, i'm in Canada and never had any problems with them. My stuff always gets stuck a few days in Richmond, BC, but after that it goes fast.

One of my friends had one problem with the Aragorn head (took like 2-3 months, tracking was wrong, but he finally got it yesterday).

One thing with Asmus : Even if you write down your address on their website when ordering, they always ignore it and take your Paypal address.

Well my paypal address is my address so that shouldn't be the problem.
I wonder if they marked it as having no value or something and Canada Post isn't buying it.
Stupid that Canada Post can't give me the reason why it's being sent back. It made it here to Calgary but then was sent back to BC and
now is back on it's way to Asmus. Figures. Just my luck. :(

Well my paypal address is my address so that shouldn't be the problem.
I wonder if they marked it as having no value or something and Canada Post isn't buying it.
Stupid that Canada Post can't give me the reason why it's being sent back. It made it here to Calgary but then was sent back to BC and
now is back on it's way to Asmus. Figures. Just my luck. :(

Any appartment number? Happened to me last month, the guy on Ebay forgot to put the appartment, so Canada Post shipped all the way to my doorstep and shipped it back to sender... Called them and they could't do anything.

No. It's a house number.
Do they declare anything for duty? Thinking that may be the problem or they wrote my address wrong or something.

No. It's a house number.
Do they declare anything for duty? Thinking that may be the problem or they wrote my address wrong or something.

Probably something wrong with the address they wrote down then, otherwise your items would've stayed stuck when entering the country.

Really sucks that they can't tell you what happened. All you can do now is contact Asmus and hope they can give you some answers :(

Did anyone besides me pay for the Expansion Packs and NOT get them or any shipping info for them yet? =\

I got an e-mail letting me know they shipped (and that they're not trackable) almost two weeks ago. No package yet ...

Fingers crossed they're still en route ...

Their tracking notifications always seem a little late. When I received my email with the tracking number, the item was actually sent a week before and then arrived about a day after I received the notification! If you do have the tracking number, maybe call your local postal service to see if they have any further information about it.

So, the Merry/Pippin expansion set is shipping, but not the Sam/Frodo expansion set?

My Merry and Pippin expansion sets arrived. My thoughts:

- Merry: horrible. Super blonde hair is a huge helmet. Accuracy is terribly weak. Face is too chubby, eyes tiny, guy looks like a pig. Paintjob ok. Expression is ok but with that level of inaccuracy, it is not useful anyway. I clearly prefer my v1 head, which does not have too rosy cheeks.

- Pippin: hair ok, paintjob ok, accuracy bad, expression makes headsculpt useless (come on, these guys spend most of the trilogy scared and fighting; sculpting Pipp smiling is a terrible stupid sin). I will have to use v1.

These 2 headsculpt are not worth the money. For much less, you get much more and much better on eBay. But these are the only Hobbit heads available. I will use them to kitbash the 2 hobbit guys working at the Prancing Pony (Nob and... ???).

I can believe so many people just have loved these 2 failures of a head sculpt and run away happy everafter. Too hivemind thinking around here, I am afraid.

From my point of view, Asmus keeps at a loss when it comes to giving us... heads. I know I am the only one thinking this. Sad, for the only way to get good stuff from good-willed but disoriented companies is complaining to them in one voice and demanding improvements. We are lucky enough Asmus does listen.

Regards,
m.

Edit: rossy--->rosy
Edit2: wake--->weak
Edit3: mooooore shameful grammar mistakes fixed.

So, the Merry/Pippin expansion set is shipping, but not the Sam/Frodo expansion set?

Asmus are very hit and miss with their sculpts, I would agree to an extent about the new sculpts I certainly wouldn't recognize Merry as the actor, neither this one or the last, Pippin is better although the expression is a bit funky but reasonably accurate. Compared to Saruman, Legolas, Aragorn, Frodo and Gandalf whose sculpts are outstanding these are lacking however the quality of the Hobbit figures, (neck down) is excellent which for me certainly offsets the shortcomings in the sculpts.

I own the figures you mention. Headsculpts are OK, they represent reasonable renditions, but are not terribly accurate, Maybe Legolas gets close, but it is not terrific.

The remainder of the figures is almost always great: outfit, accessories, etc.

Asmus needs get their act together with head sculpts
m.

I received mine today. Merry is great. Pippin looks better in hand, but he still bothers me a bit. Does look better than the original sculpt though.

Back