Asmus Toys : Lord of the Ring thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anybody getting the "Night Guard" Asmus toys figure recently previewed?
156536_10151320781271968_569678423_n.jpg

It doesn't make me feel too confident about the LOTR works I have to say.

That's why I hope their first figure really is the witch king; no head sculpt to mess up and he's a reasonably popular character. Besides, i'll be mostly in this for the orcs so as long as the armor is good and the orc sculpts look suitably orc-y i'm happy.

You have to realize though, that's an unlicensed figure. Just like most if not all unlincesed figures, they get close to the actors likeness so that it resembles them but isn't a spot on likeness. Art Figures The King aka Aragorn at the Black Gates is a good example of this (Hell all Art Figures products are a good example of this :lol)

I'm sure with them having the actual LOTR license they will produce quality head sculpts that looks more like the actor than that "Night Guard"

I like the plan a lot. The idea of the bases connecting sounds really cool. Maybe if there is a way to have the fellowship of connecting bases that mimic the scene when they are on their journey before Moria.

One request I would make is to please make it possible to have before and after Lothlorien versions of the fellowship. Sideshow gave us Legolas with a Lorien cloak but only a pre-Lorien bow. Aragorn never had his knife and Boromir never had his original cloak, all little things that would have been great to have.

Lastly, is it possible to give us an idea of how the line will be released? Example: "One figure every 4 months" - The reason I am asking is for planning purposes. I don't want to miss out on Lord of the Rings because I didn't plan my finances well enough.

Thanks.

At moment, our first figure is already in the factory for production. It is expected to hit the market in late June. And there are 3 more characters in pre-production stage simultaneously. We will try to keep the pace in control.

As for the cloak, what I am certain at this point, is that we have no pan for Boromir and not likely to make Legolas unless the fellowship is completed. But I will throw the suggestion in our meeting, may be we can have an extra cloak in Aragorn set. :)

At moment, our first figure is already in the factory for production. It is expected to hit the market in late June. And there are 3 more characters in pre-production stage simultaneously. We will try to keep the pace in control.

As for the cloak, what I am certain at this point, is that we have no pan for Boromir and not likely to make Legolas unless the fellowship is completed. But I will throw the suggestion in our meeting, may be we can have an extra cloak in Aragorn set. :)

Are there any females in your early plans? Specifically Arwen.

How will these compare in size with the Sideshow figures? The SS's are taller than HT.

These days with so many talented traditional and digital sculptors out there, and improved production techniques, there should be no reason not to produce excellent likenesses on a figure that will be selling for north of $100.

For Aragorn, it would be nice to if you added in several pieces of clothing so you can make his look throughout the 3 movies that are slight variations of his costume. Of course that would also mean you need to include two swords too.

Strider (just a black cloak)
bree_aragorn.jpg

Aragorn (FOTR)
Wall+Decal+LOTR+Aragorn+Strider.jpg

Fellowship ending:
01feef40.jpg

Helm's Depp (TTT)
Aragorn1p.jpg

Aragorn (ROTK) -with reforged sword, ANduril (It has a different scabbard than his other sword does too so that would need to be included)
aragorn.jpg

HOW THE HELL ARE SOME PEOPLE CALLING THIS A BAD LIKENESS??? :gah:

Do they have a different set of eyes than me??!! :cuckoo:

I'll agree that in the previous close-up pic,the paint apps were a little strange,but that sculpt is PERFECT..and nobody can tell me otherwise...well they could,but I just wouldn't listen :wink1:

Anyone seen the Legolas figure by SS?? That had a HORRIBLE likeness...way,way,WAAAAAAAYYY off...nothing even close to Orlando.In fact,with the exception of the hobbits,Gandalf and Boromir,ALL the likenesses were off....why can't people just be happy we're(LOTR fans)even gonna get some more figures??

Sure,the clothing probably could be better,and upon close inspection it may need some paint work on the face,but it's still a decent figure...and I for one would rather have a decent quality 1/6 LOTR figure collection,than no collection at all :lecture

that news about no boromir is a little upsetting to me(only because he is my favorite character ). but still looking forward to see what you guys do

Last edited:
No Boromir... no Legolas...

Uhh? So they're not going for the Fellowship. I'm guessing Aragorn... Gollum... Frodo... and Gandalf?

As someone who doesn't own a single 1/6 Sideshow LotR piece... what are those? Gimli? And the Aragorn?

I think you're going to cut out a lot of potential customers like me if you're only going to target people who own the original 1/6 Sideshow figures... and the 1/6 community has boomed since then. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to your company.

I can't believe how much whining and complaining is going on in here.....some people.:rolleyes:

I for one am extremely happy that another company is taking a shot at LOTR figures. I don't want them to repeat characters that sideshow has already made....at least not for now. Give us some baddies or Gimli.:yess:

Ooh ooh I have a question!
You mentioned with the armors on the battlefields line you will be releasing orc armor sets, but I don't see a lot of orc bodies on the market and their armor tends to bare a lot of flesh (as orcs are want to do), so do we have to settle for generic human bucks, which would look weird, or paint them ourselves, or would you be providing the orc bucks yourselves?

Actually, given the mish-mashy appearance of orc armor I wouldn't mind if they gave us a generic orc buck and a whole bunch of different armor sets to mix and match, pipe dream but I would love for that to happen.

As someone who doesn't own a single 1/6 Sideshow LotR piece... what are those? Gimli? And the Aragorn?

I think you're going to cut out a lot of potential customers like me if you're only going to target people who own the original 1/6 Sideshow figures... and the 1/6 community has boomed since then. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to your company.

+1

How many did Sideshow produce and which ones?

But I will throw the suggestion in our meeting, may be we can have an extra cloak in Aragorn set. :)

I like the sound of that. Aragorn was one character that had a lot of looks through the film and I always felt SS feel a little short with what they offered with him. The Vembraces, Eleven Cloak and Elven Knife and a full shirt under his jacket would have let you display him from just about any scene in the Fellowship (considering they made the cloaks and vembraces with others it wouldn't have added any new sculpting/design costs for them).

I also like the comment you made about finishing the fellowahip that SS left off. Maybe you could include Legolas' Lothlorien bow in one of the accessory sets (or go for the moon and include his Rohan armor too) and that would let us display SS' pre and post Lorien.

HOW THE HELL ARE SOME PEOPLE CALLING THIS A BAD LIKENESS??? :gah:

Do they have a different set of eyes than me??!! :cuckoo:

I'll agree that in the previous close-up pic,the paint apps were a little strange,but that sculpt is PERFECT..and nobody can tell me otherwise...well they could,but I just wouldn't listen :wink1:

Anyone seen the Legolas figure by SS?? That had a HORRIBLE likeness...way,way,WAAAAAAAYYY off...nothing even close to Orlando.In fact,with the exception of the hobbits,Gandalf and Boromir,ALL the likenesses were off....why can't people just be happy we're(LOTR fans)even gonna get some more figures??

Sure,the clothing probably could be better,and upon close inspection it may need some paint work on the face,but it's still a decent figure...and I for one would rather have a decent quality 1/6 LOTR figure collection,than no collection at all :lecture
Pretty much agree with everything you're saying.

I can't believe how much whining and complaining is going on in here.....some people.:rolleyes:

I for one am extremely happy that another company is taking a shot at LOTR figures. I don't want them to repeat characters that sideshow has already made....at least not for now. Give us some baddies or Gimli.:yess:
Agreed. Why don't we see how this line is going to flesh out. If this line really takes off I'm sure Asmus will expand this line to include the fellowship.

Back