Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pay a premium price for a re-do of the GtG head sculpt with permanent eyes. Just for the head sculpt. Although if they do that maybe go all-in and include also a hat the works without having to do surgery on it. Anyway, just saying I’d pay for that.

Last edited:
I would pay a premium price for a re-do of the GtG head sculpt with permanent eyes. Just for the head sculpt. Although if they do that maybe go all-in and include also a hat the works without having to do surgery on it. Anyway, just saying I’d pay for that.
It'd probably convince me to keep my figure if they relesed a GTG head with set eyes.

What's the complaint with the eyes? I am genuinely curious. I must have missed the conversation.

I have him on PO and will definitely be keeping him when it finally ships, but I am curious what people don't like about the eyes?

Cheers

I haven't really been too active in this thread recently, are some people STILL waiting for a figure that released a year ago? 😅

What's the complaint with the eyes? I am genuinely curious. I must have missed the conversation.

I have him on PO and will definitely be keeping him when it finally ships, but I am curious what people don't like about the eyes?

Cheers
I don’t think they are bad at all but some people say because of the moveable eyes they are too deep set and cast a shadow around the eyes. Others say they are painted a light gray which makes the shadow worse. I don’t see it or I don’t mind it

Cheers
1644862276587.png
1644862281036.png
1644862287447.png

I don’t have the figure but am thinking of picking him up. To me it looks pretty great from what I’ve seen. I think whenever manufacturers do sculpts with moveable eyes they can look wonky, but usually I’m not too bothered by that type of feature.

I'd never actually noticed the shape of the eyes changed. I just knew it looked wrong.

The factory must've had to widen the eye sockets to fit the eyeballs into place.

really hope that those of us that bought the first Gandalf get the option to upgrade the head like we were told we would

Looks good to me. I've seen a few folks mod their hat this way and seems to be an easy fix. Whats awkward about it?
The hat itself just isn't great, the material is too thick so it just looks awkward even if you mod it to sit lower. The hat and the eyes are the two biggest problems with this figure, and neither is easy to fix.

If you think it looks good then who am I to tell you otherwise though.

The hat itself just isn't great, the material is too thick so it just looks awkward even if you mod it to sit lower. The hat and the eyes are the two biggest problems with this figure, and neither is easy to fix.

If you think it looks good then who am I to tell you otherwise though.

To each his own opinion of course! I was just curious why you thought it was awkward. It does seem slightly bulky but at 1/6 scale not all materials are going to scale down as perfectly as one might wish. I've learned to accept certain compromises and temper expectations with this hobby.

I'll know soon enough how much work the hat mod is but a bit of re-tailoring doesn't sound like anything I can't handle. Can't wait to see him in hand!

Last edited:
The SS Gandalf hat is still the best. It’s just too bad it’s color doesn’t match the Asmus clothes.

To each his own opinion of course! I was just curious why you thought it was awkward. It does seem slightly bulky but at 1/6 scale not all materials are going to scale down as perfectly as one might wish. I've learned to accept certain compromises and tempter expectations with this hobby.

I'll know soon enough how much work the hat mod is but a bit of re-tailoring doesn't sound like anything I can't handle. Can't wait to see him in hand!
Fabric hoods and hats just never seem to work during mass production.

Fabric hoods and hats just never seem to work during mass production.
Yeah, headwear is tough in sixth scale.

Damtoys either made all of the hoods way too big or way too small on just about all of their Assassin's Creed figure. Connor Kenway was like the only one that came out decent. LIM Toys Gunslinger figure was universally praised except for two issues, the hat and the spurs, and the spur issue could have been avoided completely if they didn't make them spin. Star Ace did a terrible job with the Dumbledore hat, among many other things.

There's plenty of other examples. I think the only hat that came out right, that I can think of, was the Jack Sparrow hat that Hot Toys did.

Quick report. I did the modification myself. Didn’t need any of the tools that he uses in the video. It’s pretty easy to pull everything out by hand. Used Sideshow Kurgan’s bald head to stretch the hat out. What do you guys think? I’m not 100% satisfied myself, but it certainly looks better than it does out of the box.
5DCF61CB-313B-4BB1-A206-819D207F1B6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Back