Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking good. Yeah, I didn't need a bunch of tools either. I used a seam ripper to take off that terrible piece of fabric, and a larger head sculpt and pliers to widen.

20220226_144236.jpg
20220226_144600.jpg

What's the complaint with the eyes? I am genuinely curious. I must have missed the conversation.

I have him on PO and will definitely be keeping him when it finally ships, but I am curious what people don't like about the eyes?

Cheers
As others have said, they're deeper set ( which is true) and the eye shape is different. My biggest problem is they're overly glossy and reflect light to the degree that it hard to even see the detail in them. I know people that have used dull coat on them but I'm reluctant because the eyes so important and I don't wanna wreck the figure -and i do all kinds of drastic mods. I dunno. Maybe one day.

Tried doing the hat mod today. It's easy. You can carefully by hand peel loose the flap on the inside of the hat, remove the foam inside, and tuck the flap up inside. Plus carefully stretching the inside rim out a bit. I used the handle of a screwdriver and then just tugged at it a bit more with my fingers to stretch it well.

01.jpg

01a.jpg

01b.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Tried doing the hat mod today. It's easy. You can carefully by hand peel loose the flap on the inside of the hat, remove the foam inside, and tuck the flap up inside. Plus carefully stretching the inside rim out a bit. I used the handle of a screwdriver and then just tugged at it a bit more with my fingers to stretch it well.

Nice looking Gandalf you have there.

One thing I will say is the hat is well stitched together. Unlike you, I didn't carefully widen it. I went hard with those pliers. 😆 I could tell they weren't going to give so I'd widen a little more until I was satisfied. I'd still suggest taking Alatar's route for anyone wanting to give it a go. The stitches are in there good though

Nice looking Gandalf you have there.

One thing I will say is the hat is well stitched together. Unlike you, I didn't carefully widen it. I went hard with those pliers. 😆 I could tell they weren't going to give so I'd widen a little more until I was satisfied. I'd still suggest taking Alatar's route for anyone wanting to give it a go. The stitches are in there good though

Haha it is a very sturdy hat, that's true!

I feel like those pics I took are pretty hideous. I messed around with some editing software and it didn't come out the way I hoped, lol. But moreover I just need to get a good camera versus using my phone. I think I'm going to finally pop for one. I found a 4K Panasonic on Amazon for about $350 and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it.

Hello guys, seems yesterday ordered the last GtG from KGHobby as after I ordered, and decided to check, the add to cart was no longer there. I watched several reviews and also compared them with the proto. Sadly few things indeed pop out, so to speak. The most troublesome for me is the eyes being lodged deeper than they should. None of the reviewers ever mentioned that fact, nor it was visible on the shots/videos I watched. It is quite visible on Alatar's shots above. I could go with the hat not fitting properly. The last thing that bothers me is the color of the sleeves, which are not grey but yellow/brown-ish. Why would they do that with the production figure beats me. Also, how could they have not tried the eyes and asked people around how they seem them before even pushing into production. Well, I hope I will like him when he arrives as it's quite an expensive figure and will not end up like some guys trying to get rid of him. He is one of my favs after all.

My figure will never wear the hat.
Ditto. All that hair is basically the sole reason the Crown Series exists.

I guess the initial intention with Crown was to compete with Hot Toys DX releases by giving figures rooted hair and movable eyes, with a nice diorama base and an assortment of accessories.

Unfortunately, Asmus botched the eyes on GTG so have abandoned that for the next release and plenty of regular figures come with ‘luxury’ diorama options and accessories already meaning the only real purpose for the Crown Series is to give us bearded characters with rooted hair and much more expensive packaging.

Oh, wait- Gimli and Thorin had rooted beards… I guess it’s just the more elaborate packaging filled with typos and a much too tall figure base then.

I’m being a little facetious here because I do appreciate the tailoring, boots, buckles and belts on GTG (don’t mention the hat) but he certainly fell short of meeting the expectation of ‘new standard setter for what’s possible with mass produced figures.’
Gandalf The White has a far fancier outfit so, if Asmus are still up to the challenge, that would be the figure to right the wrongs of the past and really make the Crown name mean what it set out to evoke.

Ditto. All that hair is basically the sole reason the Crown Series exists.

I guess the initial intention with Crown was to compete with Hot Toys DX releases by giving figures rooted hair and movable eyes, with a nice diorama base and an assortment of accessories.

Unfortunately, Asmus botched the eyes on GTG so have abandoned that for the next release and plenty of regular figures come with ‘luxury’ diorama options and accessories already meaning the only real purpose for the Crown Series is to give us bearded characters with rooted hair and much more expensive packaging.

Oh, wait- Gimli and Thorin had rooted beards… I guess it’s just the more elaborate packaging filled with typos and a much too tall figure base then.

I’m being a little facetious here because I do appreciate the tailoring, boots, buckles and belts on GTG (don’t mention the hat) but he certainly fell short of meeting the expectation of ‘new standard setter for what’s possible with mass produced figures.’
Gandalf The White has a far fancier outfit so, if Asmus are still up to the challenge, that would be the figure to right the wrongs of the past and really make the Crown name mean what it set out to evoke.

If a custom artist was to make a set of eyes that are seated at the proper depth to the face, then almost everyone that has a GtG would get them.

Back