Asmus - Gandalf the White - Crown Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks pretty good, but for me the wrong colour skirt really throws it off (the beige is really noticeable on an all white/cream figure like this). It almost looks like Asmus used the colour of the reverse side of the skirt instead.
There's also something a little off about the top shirt (like it doesn't look like a tight fit on the body?) but this is likely just the way that the figure is arranged and posed.
Got to say, this was my reaction also. That beige skirt smacked me right between the eyes. Having said that it does seem like a great deal price wise, considering we get Shadowfax!
I'm going to hold off for now though.

I don’t think the criticism has to due with Asmus’ pricing. I believe every post I have read on here has agreed that it’s a great deal for what you are getting. I think some of us are just voicing the painful reality of paying $400 plus for a figure. Spending $400 on a great deal is still spending $400. It definitely made me hesitate for a little bit before ordering.

That is great advice on waiting to see what resellers list it as and what shipping options they have. Also if you have reward points saved up you could use them to help lessen the pain as well.
I understand you.
I personally think this is the time when many collectors will start to get priced out of this hobby. I believe 400 USD is no longer that much for a high-end 1/6 figure and I am afraid it might be even worse.

If he’s still in stock in January to February, I’ll be getting him. Unfortunately right before US holidays can be a hard time to drop $400+ out of the blue.
Well, we knew months ahead that this is coming and that he will be in stock right away when revealed :)
if you are interested in Boromir 2.0 or Thranduil, they will also be in stock right away early next year so better prepare your funds :ROFLMAO:

Is buying direct from Asmus from the UK fine? Looks awesome! :blissy
I used to get customs fees and crumpled boxes say 5-6 years ago so stopped using them.

Then I went back more recently to get their exclusive diorama pieces and haven’t been stung once.
That’s Helm’s Deep Aragorn and Legolas, Arwen and Chaise, Luxury Ash Williams and Bilbo that all came well packed and unimpeded by customs.
Sad I didn’t gamble with Elrond to get the flag but couldn’t justify the potential additional charge for a bit of fabric.
Hope the UK retailers put this up for order soon!
I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up costing £450 from home retailers.

^ Yep I’m bracing myself for it to be expensive from the UK retailers! :panic:I’ve cancelled a couple of Marvel pre-orders though so the money saved there will go towards this, and I do have some money set aside which I’ve been saving for this particular release…hopefully enough to cover the price!:pray:

^ Yep I’m bracing myself for it to be expensive from the UK retailers! :panic:I’ve cancelled a couple of Marvel pre-orders though so the money saved there will go towards this, and I do have some money set aside which I’ve been saving for this particular release…hopefully enough to cover the price!:pray:

Honestly, it'll probably be cheaper and quicker to order it directly from Asmus, even if you have to pay a customs fee...it's looking to be £368.74 at the moment with 7 days shipping included so no UK supplier is going to beat that price plus the inevitable half a years waiting time to actually receive it! 😁

I wish I could say I'm seeing the likeness in the sculpt but it's still not there for me.

As a package, absolutely a great deal, though.
Completely agree, the likeness doesn't scream either Gandalf or Ian McKellen to me, the whole package is great value for money especially with Shadofax being polystone... but the likeness is too weak in my eyes.
Feel like the figure looks really off in this photo. Think I'll wait for more in-hand photos before doing anything. No real rush to get this.

Thought it was the case with those initial photos they showed way back but he still looks too tan now.

ZOEKELi.png
The overly tan skin is a major problem to me, Mckellen is quite fair skinned and appears as such in most of the shots in LOTR as GTW and he is especially fair skinned in the close up shots - this pic you shared makes him look like he has vacationed on Mercury with no sun repellent.
Hopefully that is just a particularly bad pic.
It looks pretty good, but for me the wrong colour skirt really throws it off (the beige is really noticeable on an all white/cream figure like this). It almost looks like Asmus used the colour of the reverse side of the skirt instead.
There's also something a little off about the top shirt (like it doesn't look like a tight fit on the body?) but this is likely just the way that the figure is arranged and posed.
Completely agree - the bottom half of the skirt is the completely wrong colour and it is super distracting, there is also too much of a disconnect between the bottom and top halfs seem way too disconnected, maybe its the tailoring or something but it doesn't look right.
I don’t think the criticism has to due with Asmus’ pricing. I believe every post I have read on here has agreed that it’s a great deal for what you are getting. I think some of us are just voicing the painful reality of paying $400 plus for a figure. Spending $400 on a great deal is still spending $400. It definitely made me hesitate for a little bit before ordering.

That is great advice on waiting to see what resellers list it as and what shipping options they have. Also if you have reward points saved up you could use them to help lessen the pain as well.
Agree, this is a good price for the package - but $400 is still $400.
I understand you.
I personally think this is the time when many collectors will start to get priced out of this hobby. I believe 400 USD is no longer that much for a high-end 1/6 figure and I am afraid it might be even worse.
Also agree, this is when I am going to have to become more selective.
Asmus have a lot of things in the upcoming line I am very excited for and will be saving for (hopefully Thranduil on Throne as well as Boromir etc) as well as the Inart offerings, 3rd party stuff that looks ace etc... its a saturated market and if the prices keep rising then sacrifices must be made.

Overall if you are happy with what you see then I think this is a good package for the price - a little light on accessories perhaps but not too bad.
For me though, the too tanned face, the off-colour lower robes and the likeness not being (to my eye) too strong sort of encourage me to give this a miss or to pick it up down the line once we know what it looks like in-hand and hopefully funds are a little better.
I have the Inart GTG figure coming and while I would be very happy to have a GTW to go with him, I am content with just one high end Gandalf in the collection and If I am choosing a Gandalf then GTG is the one I prefer.

On another note, just want to say that I think the Shadowfax looks great - strangely enough probably the thing I like the most about the figure

I think Shadowfax needs a trip to the barber he’s got a pretty intense lob. Nothing a little razor work shouldn’t be able to fix though.

As for the skirt, I’ve sourced some very similar material for Mando capes that I should be able to get in a cream color. Since I should have the figure soon I can verify how off it is and try to get the right color fabric ASAP. Should be an easy and cheap mod depending on how the skirt is held on.

Is Asmus charging an additional $56 to ship this to the states?

Also, Shadowfax is listed as "Polystone"... seriously? I thought it would be plastic like the rest. One shelf dive and that horse will be in Anduril pieces.

That would be "Narsil" pieces... :lecture

Pretty nice. I’ll give it a few days to see how prices and delivery times vary across sellers and then I’ll place my order.

One Aspect of the figure is troubling me though; I can’t find any justification for the outer skirt piece being anywhere near as dark as Asmus have made it.

Let the party pooping and nitpicking commence!

The actual Gandalf the White costume is mostly a creamy white but Asmus have got pristine white. That in itself would be fine- but the on screen skirt piece is a very pale beige that blends subtly with the cream white but Asmus have gone more taupe which contrasts pretty heavily and accentuates the differences.
View attachment 607473View attachment 607475
View attachment 607474

View attachment 607477

His actual boots look like smooth leather but we’re getting felt.
K, I’m done.

This was the benchmark.
View attachment 607479

They came close with the costume but I at least prefer Asmus’ sculpt and beard length. For the price and the fact you get Shadowfax as well, it’s a good set.
What’s funny is there are movie stills here that are showing what some of the complaints are. The beige color looks very close to some of the pics as does the tanned look.

So is this shipping soon then? If so I’ll at least be curious to see it in hand and watch some reviews. Leaning towards getting it eventually but it’ll be a bit.

I understand you.

Kudos to ASMUS for making every attempt to produce quality and keeping their prices low. It can be hard to find the "right" 1/6 scale horse; horses are out there but for myself it has to be the "right" horse.

I've already ratcheted back collecting statues and figs both; HT prices make you think.:monkey2 Like I was all hot to get Kuill + blurrg but now I think not. I'll wait for Sideshow tho and hope for a payment plan, which helps take the sting out of paying all at once. With the holidays and winter coming on in the States $$$ am wary of a lot of expenditures since those will happen anyway for necessities.

Plus Thranduil will be a must-have:drool:drool:drool, for me, even tho I own V1. If they included a version of the throne I'd cheerfully pay high prices (and just sayin' as a Hobbit fan sure glad I have my stash of Gimli, Thorin, and Thranduil, the prices on the 'bay are up there now).

Really hoping Timewalker will get some of these so it won't cost more than $380 shipped or so. If I have to wait a few more months then so be it. Fortunately I don't see anywhere on the order page where it's exclusive only to the Asmus store like their Deluxe Legolas.

Back