1/6 Art Figure AF026 - The Mercenary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roninjai

Super Freak
Reaction score
merc01.jpgmerc02.jpgmerc04.jpg

The 1/6th scale The Mercenary Collectible Figure specially features:

1. Authentic and detailed likeness of the character in the movie

2. Newly developed head sculpt with movie-accurate facial expression with detailed skin texture

3. Newly designed figure with over 30 points of articulations which naturally portray muscular body in the movie

4. Approximately 33cm tall

5. Six (6) pieces of interchangeable hands including:

One (1) pair of robotic forearms strengthen devices holding hands

One (1) pair of guns holding hands with gloves

One (1) pair of relaxed hands with gloves

Costume:

1. One (1) apricot T-shirt

2. One (1) black combat uniform

3. One (1) heavily-armored bulletproof vest

4. One (1) full body armor jacket protection gear

5. One (1) pair of Tabby camouflage trousers

6. One (1) tactical thigh holster for g (custom cobra buckle)

7. One (1) pair of calf armors

8. One (1) pair of foot armors

9. One (1) pair of RB duty rb8874 rapid response men's stealth 8 boots

10. One (1) utility pouch

11. One (1) releasable Molle armor deltoid protector

12. One (1) triple cartridge bag

*All materials are fabrics with special processing technology, not artificial leather

Weapons:

1. One (1) pair of robotic forearms strengthen devices

2. One (1) folding combat knife

3. One (1) G17 pistol

4. One (1) the leg holster

5. Three (3) pistol magazines

6. One (1) shotgun magazine

7. One (1) M67 fragmentation grenade

8. Six (6) shotgun shell

9. One (1) tactical precision v-lite

10. One (1) Benchmade mini SOCP dagger

11. Three (3) magazines

ESTIMATED RELEASE DATE: Q2 2021

Right? Seems like such a weird omission. Like you go through the trouble of sculpting the likeness, and doing the work on those gauntlets, but you get to the easy mask part and it's just, "nah."

Art Figures already released a masked version (AIDOL-3). This one looks to have more accurate chest armor. I might get it parted out and update mine.

View attachment 501823

Honestly, that mask head kinda sucks. No eye holes and oddly angular stylized shape kinda ruin it.

The only true alternative I can think of his maybe just shave this head down to cram it into the broken helm civil war cap comes with.

Honestly, that mask head kinda sucks. No eye holes and oddly angular stylized shape kinda ruin it.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that one. Just doesn't feel accurate.
The only true alternative I can think of his maybe just shave this head down to cram it into the broken helm civil war cap comes with.
I thought about trying to find a loose one parted out and try to cast it/alter it to fit.

As I said when it was first shown, it's better than anything Hot Toys (or anyone else) has released. :lol That figure is also closer to the Crossbones from the comics, as it's on a larger body and is just as big (if not bigger) than the HT Cap figures. I never cared for Frank Grillo's Crossbones. His acting was fine but he simply wasn't big enough for the character.. I never once believed he could go toe-to-toe with Cap, regardless of whatever pneumatic gizmos he used while hitting him.

I'd buy this figure in a second IF it had a helmet.

For his moment of screen time, I really liked Grillo's Crossbones. His angry vengeance gave him enough stature for my tastes. One of the better MCU villains... of course wasted quickly.

MCU will never be known for its villains. Other than Thanos -- who is great -- and the next two -- Loki and Winter Solider -- who both became heroes, there really isn't many memorable villains.

Star Wars, in just its first 3 movies, had more great villains than MCU's 19 movies.

(to the person making that comparison list right now, your definition of great will vary)

I'd buy this figure in a second IF it had a helmet.

For his moment of screen time, I really liked Grillo's Crossbones. His angry vengeance gave him enough stature for my tastes. One of the better MCU villains... of course wasted quickly.

MCU will never be known for its villains. Other than Thanos -- who is great -- and the next two -- Loki and Winter Solider -- who both became heroes, there really isn't many memorable villains.

Star Wars, in just its first 3 movies, had more great villains than MCU's 19 movies.

(to the person making that comparison list right now, your definition of great will vary)

I liked Grillo's vengeful Hydra agent, I just don't think they should have wasted the Crossbones villain on his character. Speaking of wasted characters, maybe Crossbones could have been Strucker's muscle in AoU with them escaping to scheme another day after Ultron was dispatched. Or he could have been recruited by Zemo. Or saved for Falcon & TWS. Plenty of possibilities.

As for MCU villains, you didn't find Hela memorable?

Yeah, they should have saved him. But like you say, maybe no match for indestructible rubber Cap. How far Cap came from his first chase scene in TFA where a bullet actually cut him and drew blood... to being able to be thrown, trounced, crushed, smashed and clubbed without so much as a bruise.

Hela, to me, was played in the great tradition of over-the-top Burton-esque bad guys. Chewing up scenery, delivering one-liners and generally seeming less threatening and more comical. They did the same with Ultron. Putting Hela in that Thor cartoon didn't help her situation. She belongs in an episode of Adam West's Batman.

Thanos has gravitas and menace. Not an easy trick with so much CGI. Winter Soldier was relentless in TWS, and an equal match to Cap. Loki was always silly too, but played with aplomb and back-stabbing likeability so he gets a pass because he's meant to be a trickster not a true villain. Evil elves and hammer-wielding zealots and the rest of the mad industrialists that traded their business attire for incredible suits were mostly indistinguishable, or variants of the same theme -- Stane, Cross, Zemo, etc, pick your favorite.

As a side note, I do kind of like Kaecilius -- menacing, tough, doesn't speak much but when he does it is with purpose. Another zealot and equally disposable. But he did make me laugh calling him Mr. Doctor. That take on his literalness not only demonstrates his tone-deaf commitment but it is also funny. That is the perfect way to make a villain amusing without undermining his menace with preening and one-liners.

Yeah, they should have saved him. But like you say, maybe no match for indestructible rubber Cap. How far Cap came from his first chase scene in TFA where a bullet actually cut him and drew blood... to being able to be thrown, trounced, crushed, smashed and clubbed without so much as a bruise.

Hela, to me, was played in the great tradition of over-the-top Burton-esque bad guys. Chewing up scenery, delivering one-liners and generally seeming less threatening and more comical. They did the same with Ultron. Putting Hela in that Thor cartoon didn't help her situation. She belongs in an episode of Adam West's Batman.

Thanos has gravitas and menace. Not an easy trick with so much CGI. Winter Soldier was relentless in TWS, and an equal match to Cap. Loki was always silly too, but played with aplomb and back-stabbing likeability so he gets a pass because he's meant to be a trickster not a true villain. Evil elves and hammer-wielding zealots and the rest of the mad industrialists that traded their business attire for incredible suits were mostly indistinguishable, or variants of the same theme -- Stane, Cross, Zemo, etc, pick your favorite.

As a side note, I do kind of like Kaecilius -- menacing, tough, doesn't speak much but when he does it is with purpose. Another zealot and equally disposable. But he did make me laugh calling him Mr. Doctor. That take on his literalness not only demonstrates his tone-deaf commitment but it is also funny. That is the perfect way to make a villain amusing without undermining his menace with preening and one-liners.

I thought Hela was plenty threatening, but I agree that seemed to take a back seat to the comedy the deeper we got into the movie. Thanos and the Winter Soldier are IMO far and away the best villains. And yes, Loki belongs in a separate category as he was too likable to kill off, thereby disqualifying him from being a true villain.

The only thing I truly didn't like in Endgame was that it seemed to put the kibosh on any chance of Red Skull returning as a villain. IIRC correctly, in the comics his daughter and Crossbones teamed up to cause quite a bit of havoc for Hydra. I'd love it if Wanda, Strange or Loki did something stupid to bring some/all of them into the MCU reality from a different timeline/universe. Not likely given everything else Disney/Marvel has announced, but I can dream.

I forgot to add Red Skull to my list of villains I like. He's a bit unique in that he is of the same ilk that boarders on comedy, but his vanity and ego are proven by his elaborate bases and cars and extravagant nature... so big is good for Skull. He is the closest there is to a classic Bond villain. I wish he and Cap had a better hand-to-hand though.

I don't think I'd like to see anyone return... but I'm all in for new villains. There's plenty to be sure. Dr. Doom.... Galactus.... MODOK (maybe silly looking but I remember him)... Kingpin (in movie form)... an accurate Green Goblin...

In stock at GianToy... anyone get this? I've seen no in hand pics yet.
Just saw these on Sixth Scale Network's Facebook. Poor guy was lamenting that Friday the 13th struck again. It arrived with a couple of parts missing (parts of the mechanical fists/gauntlets, I think?), plus the right shoulder joint was broken. Hopefully this was an aberration and not indicative of the quality control on the rest of the production run. But the figure DOES come with a mask that fits over his head and he said it looks good on him, so that's a plus.

236967969_10165517966445321_8509061785310679550_n.jpg
236948948_10165520756830321_142621075366110447_n.jpg
236918644_10165520757265321_5549562611569991592_n.jpg

Ouch!

Thanks for the pics. Those problems don't seem promising. I think I'll wait for more in hand news.

Its great that they threw in the mask though.

Back