1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Black Widow - Yelena Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, but not worth $270. The new basic price point is going north of $300 with shipping and taxes. I'm sure somebody will pay that much for her, but I think a lot of collectors who'd be in at $220-$230 are going to pass at that price.
In the past, the price of HT and SSC figures was always justifiable to me, but with the SSC Michael Myers coming out to around $275 after taxes and shipping, and Doc Brown running nearly $300 pre-tax, I'm about at my tipping point with these things. For me, it's never been purely about price, but value. I would shell out $700-800 for a great custom if I felt the craftsmanship, and my potential enjoyment warranted it. But $300 for a lesser, mass produced, fairly barebones Marvel superhero doll?

I'll grin and bear it for the BTTF figures, but that may be the last for me for a long while.

I also realized that the price point for HT has been shifting up and up (with quality and likeness stuck in neutral, most of the time). So I have decided to be real strategic about what I am going to get. I did end up getting both black and white widows for this movie, but I think the next one I really want is DS from DS2. Otherwise, I will pass on all other Phase 4 figures.

That has to be one of the most realistic sculpts I've ever seen. Look at that hair detail. That's insane.

Once again HT does their best work with a mediocre character from a meh film. So annoying.

I was lukewarm liking the Black Widow film but I'm getting this Yelena figure since I'm a Florence Pugh fan.

This headsculpt is on point capturing Florence's eyes and some of that baby fat plumpness in her face.

This announcement of this figure gives me hope that we may get Melina (Rachel Weisz) down the road. Hot Toys already teased Red Guardian so i guess it's possible they will complete the family. Fingers crossed.

In the past, the price of HT and SSC figures was always justifiable to me, but with the SSC Michael Myers coming out to around $275 after taxes and shipping, and Doc Brown running nearly $300 pre-tax, I'm about at my tipping point with these things. For me, it's never been purely about price, but value. I would shell out $700-800 for a great custom if I felt the craftsmanship, and my potential enjoyment warranted it. But $300 for a lesser, mass produced, fairly barebones Marvel superhero doll?

I'll grin and bear it for the BTTF figures, but that may be the last for me for a long while.

As a collector, it's definitely the best of times and worst of times.

As a kid, I would of lost my mind at the quality/breadth of the products that are out in the hobby today - McFarlane figures were probably the apex of what was affordable to me when I was growing up.

But I have noticed the skyrocketing prices in our hobby over the past few years and our wages probably have not risen enough to adjust for inflation and the cost of living.

In my area, gas is nearly $5/gallon and houses are $2 Million + (and we're not taking about mansions, just average homes). That's ludicrous but it's whatever the market will bare - same goes with our collectible hobby. We either stay put or leave.

Recently, I have been more more selective in what figures/statues I purchase but like you, there are exceptions to the rule (BTTF). But I don't believe there will ever be that tipping point where I stop collecting cold turkey.

All that being said - I'm in for Yelena. :lol

It's literally perfect. Is this Stevie Wonder i'm replying to?
Yes, and this Stevie Wonder isn't singing "Isn't she lovely?" :lol

It's an okay sculpt and a very solid effort, but to say it's "perfect" is just downright silly.

You can cherry pick a completely different expression and angle if you want. I picked a screenshot expression that matched the sculpt, and isn't a photoshopped promo image.
Cherry pick? If a sculpt is 100% "perfection" as some people have erroneously claimed, then it should look fine from EVERY angle!

This sculpt isn't it. It's a 7/10 at best.

Rhonda Rousey should sue for having her likeness used without her permission! :rotfl

Last edited:
Technically, HT is only 1 head sculpt away from making Melina…just throwing in my 2 cents. They can totally ignored the height difference between Rachel Weisz and Scarlett Johansson (Weisz is taller), just like what they did in the movie.

That has to be one of the most realistic sculpts I've ever seen. Look at that hair detail. That's insane.

Once again HT does their best work with a mediocre character from a meh film. So annoying.
Don't worry, HT will disappoint and the final production sculpt will surely lose all that hair detail the same way they bait-and-switched the Bosewick sculpt.

Yeah, I think when it comes to things we really love, we'll allow ourselves to be parted from quite a bit more and be more forgiving of the higher prices. I'm about at that point with he Mandalorian releases lately. They're getting a little pricey for my taste, but I'm still willing to pay that price to have them. This falls under the pretty neat character, I'd pick her up if she felt like she was worth the asking price. It's like Shuri from Black Panther. She was $228 and I think I got her somewhere with free shipping. I could afford the increase, but I'm just not seeing the $270 in value in a lot of these releases anymore.

I've also been getting craftier in my collecting habits to mitigate some of this stuff anyhow. Sideshow is rarely ever the retailer I go with anymore. Either way, I'll be cashing in all my reward points at the end of this year, so that'll cover at least a few things I'm looking to add.

You gotta let that one go buddy...it can't hurt you anymore. :rotfl
But it still hurts!!!
anigif_enhanced_946_1433453114_7.gif

I was checking out the latest DAM military figures and they are around the $270-300 mark - for generic military figures. They are very well done, but it hurts to see.

Recently got EG Cap, and EG IP is paid off already on SS. The next figure I'm picking up is the MM Spider-Man 2020 Suit figure. After that, I think I will cool off on collecting HT figures. The prices are just getting too much for what I'm getting out of this hobby. If I pick up something else in 2022, it would either have to be a character I really love or I'm getting a great deal.

But it still hurts!!!
anigif_enhanced_946_1433453114_7.gif
Boseman, Qui-Gon, TS....the list goes on :cautious: lol

Great sculpt, but for that price they definitely should have included some additional accessories. Rocket launcher, sniper rifle, etc.
Maybe they'll include the rifle if HT decides to squeeze everything they can out of this movie and release a black suit version.

Screenshot_20211020-174507_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20211020-174727_YouTube.jpg

Yeah, I think when it comes to things we really love, we'll allow ourselves to be parted from quite a bit more and be more forgiving of the higher prices. I'm about at that point with he Mandalorian releases lately. They're getting a little pricey for my taste, but I'm still willing to pay that price to have them. This falls under the pretty neat character, I'd pick her up if she felt like she was worth the asking price. It's like Shuri from Black Panther. She was $228 and I think I got her somewhere with free shipping. I could afford the increase, but I'm just not seeing the $270 in value in a lot of these releases anymore.

I've also been getting craftier in my collecting habits to mitigate some of this stuff anyhow. Sideshow is rarely ever the retailer I go with anymore. Either way, I'll be cashing in all my reward points at the end of this year, so that'll cover at least a few things I'm looking to add.
%$$#@! 300 dollars! 300 dolllars!!!! :horror :horror :horror
Loved this character in the film, and wouldn't mind having this to represent. Already backed off collecting, concentrating more on Mando Season 1 & 2. There's some pricey must-haves I'd like.

This blows 'coz not even getting the most recent Widows. But I've got a lot of black and red on the shelf, and I'd like this to represent - the white would look cool too. But 300 dollars! I'll have to *contemplate*. But with the shipping mess, am in no rush to order either.

Boseman, Qui-Gon, TS....the list goes on :cautious: lol

Great sculpt, but for that price they definitely should have included some additional accessories. Rocket launcher, sniper rifle, etc.
Maybe they'll include the rifle if HT decides to squeeze everything they can out of this movie and release a black suit version.

View attachment 542257View attachment 542258
Not even the MacGuffin mind control gas vials?

Back