1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 296 - Avengers: AoU - Vision

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a196cf33247b5230ea9623055ee94917.jpg

Thanks Motux. This is how I have him now ... Liking how these two look together. It's kind of a shame that I'll have to break them up when Quicksilver arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see space for Quicksilver running up the middle!

Sent from the bat cave

Ummmmm A for effort?

Thanks. It's a work in progress. I'm hoping to put more effort on futzing tomorrow, but I need to get some sleep. Had to post something because it's such an exciting idea. I'm thinking if I can get an extra cape, I can use the material to make a detachable collar.

Sent from the bat cave

Thanks. It's a work in progress. I'm hoping to put more effort on futzing tomorrow, but I need to get some sleep. Had to post something because it's such an exciting idea. I'm thinking if I can get an extra cape, I can use the material to make a detachable collar.

Sent from the bat cave

I get it. Originally I knew the Vision from comics where his look was with the high collar but this movie version doesn't really work In my opinion. The SS PF looks great with his comic design.

So, I got the figure yesterday, and thought I'd post my thoughts.

The Good: Excellent HS, much better than in the first protos. Great Bettany likeness. And while I was a little hesitant on it from pictures, in hand the colors are amazing. The metallic sheen on the magenta really pops and makes it stand out. The costume is beautifully tailored, although I have my reservations about how long it'll hold up - I guess my HT "oil leak" paranoia gives me pause. But it's beautiful for now.

The Bad: The cape is just hideous. It looks like something that would come with a $20 WalMart toy, not a $220 one. It just feels cheap; thin. And I know Hot Toys hasn't exactly made the best capes in the past, but this one is particularly bad. I do appreciate the wiring, though. There isn't a single new accessory in this box, either. He has Thor's hands (repainted, of course) and his hammer. That's it. Pretty barebones; at least Scarlet Witch had her cool hands. There's also the issue of the stand. Instead of a Dynamic Flight Stand, we get a Dynamic White-Boy-Jumping Stand. It's so small, it's useless. I get what they were trying to do, to make a standard base with a flight stand, and I appreciate the try, but it just doesn't work.

At the end of the day, this is the first HT figure I've opened and thought, "This is it?" and that's not a good feeling to have when you spend this much. I feel like if the cape had been better, or his stone lit up, or it came with the normal flight stand, or he had some unique accessory - a "beam" to attach to his hands or head, perhaps - I could let go. But I'm just left kinda meh.

I've been trying to figure out why Maria Hill didn't bother me - she also saw a lot of reuse and was a barebones release. Then it dawned on me. It's because I was able to pull Maria out, pose her how I wanted, put her on the shelf, and she looked GOOD among my other figures. Right now, I can't pose Vision the way I want because of the lack of flight stand (I have one on the way from eBay), and his cape just looks so bad that it stands out as cheap compared to my other HT Avengers. I'll have to invest in a replacement cape once one comes available (either a HT second attempt or Tony Meis, there's usually sources). Between the flight stand and cape, we're talking investing at least $100 extra in this figure which should have come with these items in the first place. And that's what it is, in the end - Maria didn't feel lacking. Vision does.

That's just my opinion, though. I wanted the "new Avengers" added to my collection, and I have Rhodes and Vision now, and I'm happy to have them regardless. Just need the new costume Scarlet Witch and Falcon to finish them (I have Cap and BW already :) ).

I'm still passing on this one, at least till I see how he holds up to a little age; he's really not a must-have for me anyway. If they make another version, perhaps some of the shortfalls will be corrected.

So, I got the figure yesterday, and thought I'd post my thoughts.

The Good: Excellent HS, much better than in the first protos. Great Bettany likeness. And while I was a little hesitant on it from pictures, in hand the colors are amazing. The metallic sheen on the magenta really pops and makes it stand out. The costume is beautifully tailored, although I have my reservations about how long it'll hold up - I guess my HT "oil leak" paranoia gives me pause. But it's beautiful for now.

The Bad: The cape is just hideous. It looks like something that would come with a $20 WalMart toy, not a $220 one. It just feels cheap; thin. And I know Hot Toys hasn't exactly made the best capes in the past, but this one is particularly bad. I do appreciate the wiring, though. There isn't a single new accessory in this box, either. He has Thor's hands (repainted, of course) and his hammer. That's it. Pretty barebones; at least Scarlet Witch had her cool hands. There's also the issue of the stand. Instead of a Dynamic Flight Stand, we get a Dynamic White-Boy-Jumping Stand. It's so small, it's useless. I get what they were trying to do, to make a standard base with a flight stand, and I appreciate the try, but it just doesn't work.

At the end of the day, this is the first HT figure I've opened and thought, "This is it?" and that's not a good feeling to have when you spend this much. I feel like if the cape had been better, or his stone lit up, or it came with the normal flight stand, or he had some unique accessory - a "beam" to attach to his hands or head, perhaps - I could let go. But I'm just left kinda meh.

I've been trying to figure out why Maria Hill didn't bother me - she also saw a lot of reuse and was a barebones release. Then it dawned on me. It's because I was able to pull Maria out, pose her how I wanted, put her on the shelf, and she looked GOOD among my other figures. Right now, I can't pose Vision the way I want because of the lack of flight stand (I have one on the way from eBay), and his cape just looks so bad that it stands out as cheap compared to my other HT Avengers. I'll have to invest in a replacement cape once one comes available (either a HT second attempt or Tony Meis, there's usually sources). Between the flight stand and cape, we're talking investing at least $100 extra in this figure which should have come with these items in the first place. And that's what it is, in the end - Maria didn't feel lacking. Vision does.

That's just my opinion, though. I wanted the "new Avengers" added to my collection, and I have Rhodes and Vision now, and I'm happy to have them regardless. Just need the new costume Scarlet Witch and Falcon to finish them (I have Cap and BW already :) ).

I received my Vision figure on Friday. My initial impression can be summed up in 3 words: WHAT HE SAID. All in all a quality figure (I'm not that bothered by the cape, but I agree, it's seems on the cheap side). I also couldn't help thinking "Is that it?". Considering that I'm displaying him next to Thor, getting Mjolnir is like getting nothing at all. I also wish the Mind Stone would have lit up.

I bought mine on a Popcultcha price glitch so I didnt pay near retail. At the price I paid I can deal with the bad but after seeing how it came out I may have passed for full price. Im sure HT's second and third attempt is going to be a lot better.

I also wish the Mind Stone would have lit up.

I don't, paying extra for electronics that would be used once or twice and having a switch and batteries and a screw cover on the figure somewhere. Same for a tacky "beam effect" like they've been adding to Thor and SW, or mini Iron Men. I don't have a use for that stuff outside of maybe taking some photos with it once, and just getting it to make the figure seem like it has more to it is not very useful to me. This figure looks great, has a great HS and the costume looks the part, the cape looks exactly like the real design and frankly Vision's cape is thin and gossamer, I don't know what Hot Toys should have done differently. The wiring works pretty well to style it, that's more than Thor's does. I'm quite satisfied with mine, and I wasn't expecting to get more out of it than what was in the description.

I won't be paying retail for this figure. You just know the price will drop once the CW figure goes up for pre order.

Got my Vision on Thursday last week. I have only just started collecting HT and its bloody addictive! Sorry for the rubbish phone pic.
IMG_0046.jpg

I don't, paying extra for electronics that would be used once or twice and having a switch and batteries and a screw cover on the figure somewhere. Same for a tacky "beam effect" like they've been adding to Thor and SW, or mini Iron Men. I don't have a use for that stuff outside of maybe taking some photos with it once, and just getting it to make the figure seem like it has more to it is not very useful to me. This figure looks great, has a great HS and the costume looks the part, the cape looks exactly like the real design and frankly Vision's cape is thin and gossamer, I don't know what Hot Toys should have done differently. The wiring works pretty well to style it, that's more than Thor's does. I'm quite satisfied with mine, and I wasn't expecting to get more out of it than what was in the description.

Yeah, I don't need light up nonsense. Get someone to do the effect in Photoshop and it'll look a lot better anyway.

Totally agree with you about not wanting to pay EXTRA for either a light up mind stone or a beam effect (I wouldn't want the latter at all). But given what we're paying for these figures, getting ONE light up feature included doesn't seem unreasonable, especially given that HT has been putting lights in IM heads for years now. And let's face it, Vision's head design isn't that far removed from an IM helmet, so I don't think the sculpt would suffer as a result. That said, it's not like I didn't know what I was ordering; I just find him a bit lacking relative to other releases.

Agreed 100% with Buffinator. It's not that I NEED a light up head, or a "beam effect," etc. And there was never anything in the description that made it sound like there would be more. What we've been saying is that for the price we paid, we were underwhelmed by the effort, and adding something extra would have made up for it. But I will say that I could do just fine without those things and have been perfectly happy - for $20 less. Your opinion on the cape is certainly valid, I just disagree with you. But we can agree to disagree.

The description WAS, I think anyway, a bit deceptive in one area: The horrible flight stand. I assumed based on the images that we were getting the same full-sized flight stand, but with a different style of base, and instead we got this tiny version which is useless. I'm glad they went back to the normal flight stand for CW Falcon.

Agreed 100% with Buffinator. It's not that I NEED a light up head, or a "beam effect," etc. And there was never anything in the description that made it sound like there would be more. What we've been saying is that for the price we paid, we were underwhelmed by the effort, and adding something extra would have made up for it. But I will say that I could do just fine without those things and have been perfectly happy - for $20 less. Your opinion on the cape is certainly valid, I just disagree with you. But we can agree to disagree.

The description WAS, I think anyway, a bit deceptive in one area: The horrible flight stand. I assumed based on the images that we were getting the same full-sized flight stand, but with a different style of base, and instead we got this tiny version which is useless. I'm glad they went back to the normal flight stand for CW Falcon.

I didn't purchase the Vision figure but certainly don't understand why HT would release him without a light-up Mind Stone, but instead will release Ant-Man with light up features you can't easily see. I'm thinking it's related to the inability to hide the battery box since the HS doesn't lend itself to the task without a screw at the back of his head.

Back