1/6 1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien - Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You make valid points, so allow me to DESTROY them one by one...lol
I said I hate greed the most when it's focused on a narrow market; It's like a mild form of victimization. There are plenty of other sellers who focus on a target market in the same way, but they AREN'T greedy in their pricing.

We pay high prices for head sculpts, (ideally Hot Toys quality, let's say) that closely mimic skin by being slightly translucent, solid-colored vinyl. Vinyl is totally different from resin, which is the lowest quality material one can use for a head sculpt for several reasons.

As far as the paint job is concerned, I can understand paying a higher price for a professionally painted head- but this cat has simple orange stripes and a few simple details. It doesn't require the time or skill that a human face portrait would. Conclusion: It's a rip-off.

FYI that Jones was offered years before Hot Toys even announced they were doing an Alien Ripley and at the same price they are asking for it now. If you saw price fluctuations on ebay it was likely that you saw one of their listings from a foreign ebay site. So your accusations of greed and victimization are totally unfounded based on preying on unhappy Hot Toys customers. Painting that cat isn't as easy as you think it is. I know because I tried and ended up sending my casting back to be painted by Joy. Aren't you the same person over on the Mad Max thread that praised some accessories you paid over $1000 for that could be 3d printed for less than $300? I would consider that being victimized, but everyone has different perspectives based on what they want in their collection.

Really nice work!

I've been kinda wanting a Ripley lately, but unfortunately it looks like I waited too long for the current one and prices have shot through the roof. And even the parted out and knockoff Sigourney heads have all dried up by this point, so there's no use in trying to put together an Aliens custom.

So guess I'll just have to hope some other company gets the license way down the road.

1978 still of Weaver actually using the screen used flamethrower in Alien.
F1A08C7F-EB4D-47BE-958B-8AE18DBF2ED6.jpg

kD78LwM.jpg

Quick shot of an early work in progress, after being inspired to try customising by the excellent customs in this thread. The power loader should be arriving tomorrow, after an unexpected eBay win, so pretty excited

Last edited:
kD78LwM.jpg

Quick shot of an early work in progress, after being inspired to try customising by the excellent customs in this thread. The power loader should be arriving tomorrow, after an unexpected eBay win, so pretty excited

That?s awesome! Man, I hope HT gets around to this version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kD78LwM.jpg

Fantastic job! What body are you using? I like the no-seams arms.

Fantastic work! For some reason the sculpted short hair always works a lot better for me for this than rooted.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I finally picked one up about a month ago, since she's too iconic a character not to have... but honestly found it pretty underwhelming out of the box. And I'm feeling like I'd much rather have one of these cool Aliens customs right now instead...

Back