Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing about the standard approach to analysis for the PG13 cuts is if it misses the following context, I’m not sure if it’s really taking enough into account to be fair to it. I know I’m a broken record on this, but:

With the director’s cuts giving the genre a sci-fi fantasy pulp/Heavy Metal/B movie vibe Snyder is going to basically vulgarize something that’s sacred to most people. I mean, it’s not Star Wars per se, but he’s commenting on it for sure. The deconstruction of applying that pulp vibe to the “space opera” genre that 1977 Star Wars spawned isn’t in the PG13 cuts. The PG13 cuts are the version that I think Zack imagines is what any studio would mandate “by focus group.” And that takes the story of the director’s cut and declaws, defangs, and neuters it. So as we have seen, that’s probably going to rub most viewers the wrong way. And the director’s cut version that is akin to the animal in the wild, in its natural state is going to do some very weird and intense things to a genre that most viewers innocently enjoy as wholesome entertainment.

I thought Superman and Batman were about as off limits as you can get for genre deconstruction, such that people would be upset by it. But Star Wars is even more of a sacred cow. People are going to be even more freaked out by that.

People hated on BvS because they wanted to see Superman and Batman depicted in their classical genre form for the first ever live action blockbuster teamup of those two iconic figures. And here with Rebel Moon most folks wanted Snyder to take the classical form of Star Wars and just sort of dirty it up a bit, make it grittier and more adult in terms of themes, give it adult violence, and of course the cherry on top of the awesome visuals for which Snyder has become renowned.

That being said, I do believe that if he gets the chance to make Part 3 the pendulum will swing back towards reconstructing the genre, which is what he did with ZSJL in his DC trilogy. So we might yet get something much closer to what people actually wanted.

Zack definitely has an itch to deconstruct genres that evidently he needs to constantly scratch.

Back