World War Z (starring Brad Pitt)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*reads spoilers*

This all sounds ridiculous! I will never understand optioning books that you [the movie studio] have zero intention of using as source material. Would it not be cheaper to just make your own new project, without having to buy a book you wont use?

Saw the trailer in front of MoS; I predict a flop of epic proportions.

Chaser, try the book, because the book is pretty cool. Unlike, you know, this stuff they wasted a gazillion dollars making.

Last edited:
*reads spoilers*

This all sounds ridiculous! I will never understand optioning books that you [the movie studio] have zero intention of using as source material. Would it not be cheaper to just make your own new project, without having to buy a book you wont use?

Chaser, try the book, because the book is pretty cool. Unlike, you know, this stuff they wasted a gazillion dollars making.

The thing is, if this were called Infected or anything other than World War Z, i might be on board. Not on board enough to see it in theatres this weekend over seeing MoS again, but I would still see it eventually. But giving it the name WWZ after the book I enjoyed, created an expectation. This goes completely against those expectations, which in turn makes me not want to give you my money.

*reads spoilers*

well the reason they do that is because the book has an audience already.
They know people are aware of the title and they don't have to start from scratch. They can just use the popularity of the book to help them with the movie.

Yes, but the popularity of the book works against the producers in a scenario like this. People who liked the book are expecting to see something at least remotely related to a book of the same name.

If they don't get that, they get ticked off. I do, at least. People who don't like the book are clueless about the project anyways, usually. :wink1:

Zangetsu: The thing is, if this were called Infected or anything other than World War Z, i might be on board. Not on board enough to see it in theatres this weekend over seeing MoS again, but I would still see it eventually. But giving it the name WWZ after the book I enjoyed, created an expectation. This goes completely against those expectations, which in turn makes me not want to give you my money.

Excellent post, summing up the situation exactly. I might have given it a look if it had a different name - not in the theatre, true - but later. But if these spoilers Chase posted earlier are true, this sounds like the most arrant silliness and I will totally be passing. I'm not a fast zombie fan anyways, fast zombies are overpowered in my opinion.

I may give it a read.

But if the history of film adaptations has taught us anything, it's that you should never expect a film to closely follow what it's supposed to be based on.

IMO, this is a great, unique zombie film that just happens to share the name of a book.

So. World War Z...well....uh...Brad Pitt is the most perfect ****ing human being alive in the universe, and the Zombies don't do jack ****ing ****. **** this movie. It ignores everything related to a Zombie. It ignores the quintessential book related to them...fine...I guess...but why the **** would you ignore EVERY SINGLE THING IN THE UNIVERSE. No blood. No gore. No ****ing real Zombie makeup.

Nerdyness aside..the movie was really, really boring. We get it. It's a zombie apocalypse. So show it. I don't give a **** about Brad Pitt's non character. The most perfect person alive. I want to know more about this virus you presented, that you DIDN'T EVER COME BACK too. Goddamn. I;'m so drunk. And so angry. **** this movie. **** this movie in it's stupid ****ing face.

Yes, but the popularity of the book works against the producers in a scenario like this. People who liked the book are expecting to see something at least remotely related to a book of the same name.

If they don't get that, they get ticked off. I do, at least.

It doesn't matter what you think of the movie as long as they get you in the door to see it. People who like the source material will be curious enough to plunk down the cash to see it, so the marketing strategy of using that title was effective.

It doesn't matter what you think of the movie as long as they get you in the door to see it. People who like the source material will be curious enough to plunk down the cash to see it, so the marketing strategy of using that title was effective.

Not as much as you think. Most who have read the books are well aware of the changes this movie is making. Fans of the book have been pissed for a while. I doubt they go to see it.

Yeah, if all they used was the title I can understand being a little disappointed. The movie though is pretty enjoyable despite that issue.

I'm not going to see it and I liked the book.

No Battle of Yonkers? No South African ocean freighters and slums? No trek into Canada in the family car? No Indian nuke crisis? No blind Japanese gardner? Oh, but it has Brad Pitt and CGI ant zombies.

As if.

So. World War Z...well....uh...Brad Pitt is the most perfect ****ing human being alive in the universe, and the Zombies don't do jack ****ing ****. **** this movie. It ignores everything related to a Zombie. It ignores the quintessential book related to them...fine...I guess...but why the **** would you ignore EVERY SINGLE THING IN THE UNIVERSE. No blood. No gore. No ****ing real Zombie makeup.

Nerdyness aside..the movie was really, really boring. We get it. It's a zombie apocalypse. So show it. I don't give a **** about Brad Pitt's non character. The most perfect person alive. I want to know more about this virus you presented, that you DIDN'T EVER COME BACK too. Goddamn. I;'m so drunk. And so angry. **** this movie. **** this movie in it's stupid ****ing face.

**** So it sounds like this will be another disappointing summer film for me :(

If there is no blood or anything what happens when the zombies attack people? they smother them to death?

I'm not going to see it and I liked the book.

No Battle of Yonkers? No South African ocean freighters and slums? No trek into Canada in the family car? No Indian nuke crisis? No blind Japanese gardner? Oh, but it has Brad Pitt and CGI ant zombies.

As if.

Don't forget the Reddecker Plan, the Russian Decimation, The Indian General!

Back