Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think that hot toys is screwing over the collector

• HELL YES.........I've been screwed

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • Im neutral on this issue..........DONT ROCK THE BOAT

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • Nope..........I love hot toys and think that as long as I get a better product I'm happy.

Votes: 73 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Well, limited edition stuff or having an ES can help a piece retain value or even increase. While no one really buys a figure or statue with the intent of reselling(except scalpers and flippers), you never know when you will HAVE to sell something. With re-issuing, or not have ES, you basically have something you can not re sell for what you bought it for, perhaps worth significantly less than if it were truly limited.

If that were the case, why is it that the original predator is still priced between $389 and $900 on ebay? Is anything priced below $1000 worthy of contempt?

IM Mark I 1.0 ranges from $389 (what do you know) to $599 even though you can pre-order v 2.0 for $252.

Wolverine is way above retail despite the announcement that a new one is in the works.

There will always be completists who will want one of everything and will have enough money to buy that extra rare 20 year old mint condition figure.

I think people here need to get it in their heads that these are not "articulated stocks" that are better looking on shelves than framed treasury bonds. These are toys, first and foremost, regardless of what "limited collectible" BS label we choose to staple on them.

If you really want something that will still possess guaranteed value when and if you choose to sell it, buy golden statues.

Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Well, limited edition stuff or having an ES can help a piece retain value or even increase. While no one really buys a figure or statue with the intent of reselling(except scalpers and flippers), you never know when you will HAVE to sell something. With re-issuing, or not have ES, you basically have something you can not re sell for what you bought it for, perhaps worth significantly less than if it were truly limited. It is fun to collect what you like first and foremost, but also nice to know that you own a limited piece that not everyone has. I mean, look at pieces like the Doom PF or the Hulf PF. Sure, they are really nice pieces but what makes them worth so much is that they are REALLY hard to get because there aren't that many out there. If you have an endless supply of income, I doubt price or ES means anything to you, but for the rest of us that don't, stuff like limited edition or ES really holds it's weight when you think about where your money is going.

Nope. I don't see that at all. If you're just gonna rent these figures (like most people on this board do) then maybe this isn't the hobby for you. The value i place on a figure is what it is worth to me whenever i see it on my shelf. If you wanna invest, go for gold.

Hamanu, I think you are listing optimistic auction prices by sellers, not the amount folks are paying. P1 Predator is consistently selling for less than $250 on eBay. Mark I's seem to be in the same boat, and will likely go down even further once 2.0 is actually released. And regarding Wolverine, just like DX-02 Batman, folks are gonna keep paying high prices until there is concrete, definitive evidence that an update is coming in the form of pictures and/or pre-orders. We haven't seen that with Wolvie yet. Plus, with Wolvie, it is very likely gonna be a different outfit from a different film, so not really comparable anyway.

The number of collectors who are completists or who want the quaint, more simplistic, earlier versions of figures are not very high, I would wager.

Nope. I don't see that at all. If you're just gonna rent these figures (like most people on this board do) then maybe this isn't the hobby for you.
Why not? Isn't that just as legitimate a reason for collecting as wanting to keep something forever and ever and to be buried with it? Some (myself included from time to time) get bored and like to move on to other things. "Renting" allows folks to do that.

Optimistic or not, that's the asking price. And human nature being what it is, when someone sees $899 and $599, they'll consider $389 a bargain. Why do you think they invented the .99 system? ;)

In any case, we're all relatively intelligent people here on this forum so its safe to assume that most of us have figured out that HT will continue to re-issue popular figures.

If one wishes to "rent" figures, then one should avoid the extremely popular ones and buy Machikos, Abigails and Kevin Flints or whatever they're called. I guarantee those will never be re-issued and will, therefore, maintain their "value" :D

And leave the popular ones to us suckers who like to throw our hard earned money down the drain.

I love Hot Toys and i really don't mind the figures being repainted or reissued.

But i agree that the 'limited' thingie is utter bullshat and they can just do away with that.

Well the only thing I see wrong is if your collecting to re-sell later or flip, because if you are a true collector aren't you buying the item cause you like it and want one in your collection or is it just because its valuable, I don't buy thing's just cause they are limited, I purchase them cause I like them. If they're only available for some time then they are considered limited, its just like when a disney movie comes out and they say its limited then it goes back in they're vaults but then they end up releasing it again later.

I am done buying HT because of the rereleases. I am only buying one more figure (Iron Monger) because I already put a PO on it. I like rarity when I collect things. I don't buy comic reprints. I buy originals. I do the same with books. I buy first prints, signed and numbered copies of the authors I enjoy (like Stephen King). I hate the fact that anyone and everyone can buy these so-called collectibles. They are as rare as any figure you can purchase in any retail store. I like the figures I have, but I am not buying another one from Hot Toys. That being said, they are amazing. They are the best figures I own. But for me I collect rare as much as beautiful. It's gotta have both!

Its still limited considering the amount of people purchasing these things. They don't always retain the license long enough to keep making them. They renew them but that's just it.

Its lucrative and people will pay for it. A lot of people don't have these figures so they are still very limited.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hot Toys should take out limited edition because it is now misleading. They are really stretching the meaning to the point where it means nothing anymore.

Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

and ...Whats wrong??

Wolverine was a limited collectible and a limited run,(true) and the 2.0 version will be a limited collectible and limited run aswell (true)

Same for Iron Man mark 1, Predator 2, Joker, and ALL the other 2.0 versions they was/will announce, cause they are different from the first release :wink1:

I am done buying HT because of the rereleases. I am only buying one more figure (Iron Monger) because I already put a PO on it. I like rarity when I collect things. I don't buy comic reprints. I buy originals. I do the same with books. I buy first prints, signed and numbered copies of the authors I enjoy (like Stephen King). I hate the fact that anyone and everyone can buy these so-called collectibles. They are as rare as any figure you can purchase in any retail store. I like the figures I have, but I am not buying another one from Hot Toys. That being said, they are amazing. They are the best figures I own. But for me I collect rare as much as beautiful. It's gotta have both!

I understand what your saying here because I only buy orginal recorded records for the sound quality but as far as literature I would disagree, I prefer a tpb to comics because of space and I can let my friends borrow them same as a book, I would prefer a paperback re-issue i could read anywhere and let a friend borrow. As far as action figures i want the the most detailed, accurate, and durable figure possible, which is usually what they do to the re-issues.

Last edited:

Also, even if they do rerelease, most of these are at 1000 or less per release. That is still less than 2000 items world wide. Still Limited in my mind.

Finally a thread about Hot Toys remakes and how it damages the collectibility of the item. It's about time! :rock

Also, even if they do rerelease, most of these are at 1000 or less per release. That is still less than 2000 items world wide. Still Limited in my mind.

Does anyone know the real production #'s of lets say the mark iv,v, vi or captain america, thor, Indiana jones, Jack Sparrow???????:dunno I think alot of collectors thought the jack sparrow and Indiana Jones would be sold out by now but you can buy him everywhere. I think 2000 pieces is shooting WAY TOO LOW.

I get the frustration of the LE crew, but I'd buy these things if they were ten bucks and every kid on the block had 'em.

So out of all the figures produced by Hot Toys, exactly how many are re-releases?

Back