Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think that hot toys is screwing over the collector

• HELL YES.........I've been screwed

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • Im neutral on this issue..........DONT ROCK THE BOAT

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • Nope..........I love hot toys and think that as long as I get a better product I'm happy.

Votes: 73 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

If that were the case, why is it that the original predator is still priced between $389 and $900 on ebay? Is anything priced below $1000 worthy of contempt?

IM Mark I 1.0 ranges from $389 (what do you know) to $599 even though you can pre-order v 2.0 for $252.

What planet are you on?

Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

I am done buying HT because of the rereleases. I am only buying one more figure (Iron Monger) because I already put a PO on it. I like rarity when I collect things. I don't buy comic reprints. I buy originals. I do the same with books. I buy first prints, signed and numbered copies of the authors I enjoy (like Stephen King). I hate the fact that anyone and everyone can buy these so-called collectibles. They are as rare as any figure you can purchase in any retail store. I like the figures I have, but I am not buying another one from Hot Toys. That being said, they are amazing. They are the best figures I own. But for me I collect rare as much as beautiful. It's gotta have both!

+1, ditto although i might eventually have to give in to the tumbler and 89 batmobile...

I think as time goes on, more collecters will be put off by Hot Toys business practices.

I wonder if the number of people being put off will be offset by the number who are attracted to the hobby because of these same business practices?

Seems the re-release strategy serves a number of purposes:

1. makes HT more money
2. older figures are updated/improved/embellished
3. makes flipping less attractive, flattens the secondary market
4. instils new energy into a license

...but not re-releasing would serve one purpose (which may or may not turn out to be the most important one re: long-term customer base):

1. satisfies 'true' collectors

I guess HT have decided that re-releasing is better for their business.

My opinion... No they shouldn't.

They should stop retreading the same licenses and produce figure from characters they haven't done yet.

for me ----it is simple
all companys are snake oil sellers--------they will say/label what ever it takes to make a sale------
when you walk in to a store do you know why it say entrance??
because they want you-----
EN---TRANCE-----------
pull this leg and it plays jingle bells----
you like you buy------limited 0/0------come on-----peeps-----

I wonder if the number of people being put off will be offset by the number who are attracted to the hobby because of these same business practices?

Seems the re-release strategy serves a number of purposes:

1. makes HT more money
2. older figures are updated/improved/embellished
3. makes flipping less attractive, flattens the secondary market
4. instils new energy into a license

...but not re-releasing would serve one purpose (which may or may not turn out to be the most important one re: long-term customer base):

1. satisfies 'true' collectors

I guess HT have decided that re-releasing is better for their business.
I think most people work up to Hot Toys. I know I started with 21st. Century, then went to Dragon, SST, and bbi, then onto Soldier Story and Hot Toys. I think as Hot Toys raises the prices, less people will get into collecting their product.

Last edited:

I think 2000 pieces is shooting WAY TOO LOW.

I might be mistaken but I think the general thought is 5,000, even more. There was a thread talking about it before, a fair while ago, and 5,000 to as high as 10,000 was mentioned repeatedly. This was based on I think something an official vendor reportedly said. As well, you can go on the 'exclusive' 'numbered limited editions.' 'Numbered' suggests it's lower than normal (though maybe just a marketing trick) and so if you look at something like MJ 'Beat It,' which was said to be a 'limited' release of 2,000, then you have to imagine other figures are released in greater quantities than that.

I'm curious now as to what quantities people think these figures are released in. Someone find me that old thread or create a new one. Do as I command.

Hey guys, start collecting Premium and Legendary format statues. Nobody has many of those laying around.

I get the frustration of the LE crew, but I'd buy these things if they were ten bucks and every kid on the block had 'em.

NO! I MUST BE A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE AND BE THE ONLY PERSON TO HAVE IT. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO:pray::pray::pray:

Limited edition can't re-release the same figure, they need to take off "limited eddition " at their title. Hate those Chinese do this ____.

EVERYTHING made is limited edition- nothing is made unlimited forever....so technically...

Bet newest HT figures are 10,000 in range of production- or more. The days of 2000 or so were at the early stages of the company.

I don't think I'm "getting screwed" per say as the poll option suggests. But I agree. Hot Toys needs to think about the fact that they're undermining their own market. I've seen many collectors sell HT figures for big bucks on the secondary market to buy new figure and the sale of that high-priced figure usually gets others interested.

Tumbler v.1 and Tumbler v.2 edition will likely have small differences, packaging changes, exclusives, etc... to differentiate the two "editions".

Iron Man Mk.1 already has a different headsculpt and paint job, so it's easy to tell those two editions apart.

The rarity of the 1st edition isn't impacted, but perhaps the resale value is. And there's the rub.

Nobody ever promised you were going to get rich collecting toys. Not Hot Toys, not ebay, nobody on this website....

If you're mad a few more geeks own the Tumbler, you're being petty. If you're mad because it's not made of gold... it's a toy.

Sorry. Someone had to tell you.

Tumbler v.1 and Tumbler v.2 edition will likely have small differences, packaging changes, exclusives, etc... to differentiate the two "editions".

Iron Man Mk.1 already has a different headsculpt and paint job, so it's easy to tell those two editions apart.

The rarity of the 1st edition isn't impacted, but perhaps the resale value is. And there's the rub.

Nobody ever promised you were going to get rich collecting toys. Not Hot Toys, not ebay, nobody on this website....

If you're mad a few more geeks own the Tumbler, you're being petty. If you're mad because it's not made of gold... it's a toy.

:exactly::goodpost:

<-- never owned a tumbler (nor cared to). :wave :lol

Back