Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think that hot toys is screwing over the collector

• HELL YES.........I've been screwed

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • Im neutral on this issue..........DONT ROCK THE BOAT

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • Nope..........I love hot toys and think that as long as I get a better product I'm happy.

Votes: 73 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Violator66

Super Freak
Reaction score
Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

I have been collecting hot toys for about 3-4 years ever since the power loader came out, and have been buying into their lies about how their 1/6 scale figures and products are limited and collectible. As many collectors out there have come to the harsh realization that hot toys is completely full of it. They have continuously screwed over the collector not only by RE-ISSUING a hard to find or well sought after figure but by slapping the label 2.0 on it as well. I feel that it is completely misleading to tell the general public that this is a limited collectible when there is no limited edition number and remakes of figures or products are made over and over again. It has truly taken away my love for HOT TOYS in general and has made me rethink my collecting as I have been more focused on Sideshow statues then 1/6 scale hot toys figures. As long as Sideshow doesn't re issue there statues were all good. I guess this is more of a rant then anything else. I have made a poll to see where you fellow freaks stand and PLEASE if your a huge HOT TOYS FAN BOY as I once was don't attack me for stating the obvious. :horror

Last edited:
Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

I agree with you 100%, but I feel like Hot Toys enjoys labelling them as "limited" to arouse more buyers :dunno

I doubt they will change it, it's not like we can launch a class action law suit for false advertising :lol

Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Is there a limit to the number made... sure at some point. So they probably get to keep the title :lol

Whatever happened to the concept of numbering stuff, like xxxx of 1000, thus making it actually a limited edition. Don't see no poll Violator.

Limited to enough where if you want, you can get it. I found it hilarious always that they would label their products as limited. To a certain extent, anything could be advertised as such...

Heck, McFarlane toys then were limited, so were NECA 18" figures, yada, yada, yada...

And ultimately, yes, they do sell out and some, , are more scarce are never seen again retail-wise. But to think they are 'limited' in the sense that there is a minuscule number that could make 'em more desirable, pricier or with great rarity is just dumb.

If you really want 'em, you can easily pre-order them and get them within reasonable time after release.

I collect this stuff for fun and if these figures go up in value, then great. If it doesn't then I am fine with it. You can expect this with any kind of hobby you are in. I do understand where you are coming from though, but if they can improve on an old figure I say go right ahead and do it. I would like them to provide different accessories than the original, so the original would hold the 'Limited Edition' status. That request would not likely happen, but I could only hope.

im all for the re-issues . i think most people that are upset are the flippers and the collectors that were flipped over and violated. There is a simple remedy if HT even cares to address this. make the reissue just the figure with no accessories.

im all for the re-issues . i think most people that are upset are the flippers and the collectors that were flipped over and violated. There is a simple remedy if HT even cares to address this. make the reissue just the figure with no accessories.

:clap:yess::exactly: Right on the money.

Hot Toys should just put a warning on their boxes "BEWARE-Plastic Crack-you may become addicted" (not not plastic cracking:nana:)

As for limited edition collectibles, well they are, can you get them at ToysRus, Walmart, the corner store? In my Province of 4.5 million, only three stores carry these figures (and in limited quantities.) So they are limited, are they not? :wave

The thing most hot toy collectors still havent realized yet is their products are completely technology dependent. A re-issue will always look better and more desirable than the old version due to the new body/head/tech developed (example: classic pred 2.0, mark 2 unleashed, etc..), as such the old stuff will never retain their value as soon as a newer version is released. Combined with the fact hot toys are guaranteed to release similar figures over and over as evident by the last couple of years.

As such, HT products should really just be viewed as toys not much different than hasbro stuff, something cool to have and play around with. But not as limited edition highend collectibles, anyone think otherwise is only set themselves up for disappointment down the road.

Sideshow on the other hand, despite all their problems, does produce limited edition HAND PAINTED statues, the grails/popular statues will always retain their value. Because they will always stand the test of time, hand painted is hand painted, just like paintings, artist dont produce better work overtime...just different works. Also sideshow very rarely re-release the same statue, if they make the same character it's always a very different pose/sculpt.

I hope you guys will accept this fact, i did a long time ago and dont get upset anymore by anything hot toys does, and am under no illusion about what their products actually are - plastic toys. Not collectibles you keep over time.

They are still limited edition though...
even if they produce 20 versions of them... :dunno

Yes the charming toilet paper i buy from walmart is also limited edition, because there is limit on how many were produced...

Why do people care about this so much?? Just buy what you like. Who cares if there are 1000 made or 10,000. I mean, do you guys really sit around with your friends and brag that "there are only 500 of these in the world"?? I bet you guys do, don't ya???

They are limited. You're confusing exclusivity with rarity.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Why do people care about this so much?? Just buy what you like. Who cares if there are 1000 made or 10,000. I mean, do you guys really sit around with your friends and brag that "there are only 500 of these in the world"?? I bet you guys do, don't ya???

Well, limited edition stuff or having an ES can help a piece retain value or even increase. While no one really buys a figure or statue with the intent of reselling(except scalpers and flippers), you never know when you will HAVE to sell something. With re-issuing, or not have ES, you basically have something you can not re sell for what you bought it for, perhaps worth significantly less than if it were truly limited. It is fun to collect what you like first and foremost, but also nice to know that you own a limited piece that not everyone has. I mean, look at pieces like the Doom PF or the Hulf PF. Sure, they are really nice pieces but what makes them worth so much is that they are REALLY hard to get because there aren't that many out there. If you have an endless supply of income, I doubt price or ES means anything to you, but for the rest of us that don't, stuff like limited edition or ES really holds it's weight when you think about where your money is going.

They are limited. You're confusing exclusivity with rarity.
But exclusivity suggests that only certain people can get something from certain places, right? In other words, some are not part of the club that can buy this thing. Rarity concerns something existing in low numbers in relation to other, similar things that exist. An exclusive item may or may not be rare (i.e., 10th Anniversary "exclusives"). And a rare item may or may not be exclusive. "Limited" could encapsulate both of those things, and more. A limited item is not necessarily rare, nor is it necessarily exclusive.

If they are making a better figure then why not.when I got the original mark iii it was great,but now standing next to the mark 4,5 and 6 it looks horrible.why shouldn't we get better figures.and the price of the original usually doesn't suffer that much.I just got 200 for my mms 71 batman .that was 50 more than I paid for it.I want the best figure I can get,not an alright figure that's hard to find.if your trying to make money its like every other investmeant,you win some,you lose some.

Do they actually say 'limited edition' on the boxes. Last time I checked it just said 'Collectors edition'...which is ultimately meaningless.

Back