Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think that hot toys is screwing over the collector

• HELL YES.........I've been screwed

Votes: 52 36.6%
  • Im neutral on this issue..........DONT ROCK THE BOAT

Votes: 17 12.0%
  • Nope..........I love hot toys and think that as long as I get a better product I'm happy.

Votes: 73 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Tumbler v.1 and Tumbler v.2 edition will likely have small differences, packaging changes, exclusives, etc... to differentiate the two "editions".

Iron Man Mk.1 already has a different headsculpt and paint job, so it's easy to tell those two editions apart.

The rarity of the 1st edition isn't impacted, but perhaps the resale value is. And there's the rub.

Nobody ever promised you were going to get rich collecting toys. Not Hot Toys, not ebay, nobody on this website....

If you're mad a few more geeks own the Tumbler, you're being petty. If you're mad because it's not made of gold... it's a toy.

Sorry. Someone had to tell you.

:goodpost:
lolz on those people who take HT figures as stock options.

Re: Why hot toys should take the word "limited edition collectible out of its title"

Bet newest HT figures are 10,000 in range of production- or more. The days of 2000 or so were at the early stages of the company.
The last time i checked it was around the 15000 marker.I remember when i was buying the New Batman/Bruce Wayne figure and had asked the Sideshow rep. if it was too late to buy the figure through Flexpay and she had told me not at all.That they had 10000 pieces of the figure and it might sell out so that + the 5000 from the Asian conventions make it 15000.That was in Oct.(i think) so by now they probably make more than that.:wink1:

I totally agree about taking out the limited edition wording on these.

When you are paying over $200 bucks (more in most cases), you would hope to think that you could recoup some of that down the track IF you need to (depending on your financial situation) sell them.

I am a collector, and don't wish to sell anything, but also I hope to think that these would be worth something in the future. Even thought they are reissuing a better product compared to the original, it makes you wonder if it would devaluate the original product. There are arguments that suggest that, like a first run book, with mistakes, will always be more sought after than the reprints. One would hope this also applies to 1/6 scale collecting.

I totally agree about taking out the limited edition wording on these.

When you are paying over $200 bucks (more in most cases), you would hope to think that you could recoup some of that down the track IF you need to (depending on your financial situation) sell them.

I am a collector, and don't wish to sell anything, but also I hope to think that these would be worth something in the future. Even thought they are reissuing a better product compared to the original, it makes you wonder if it would devaluate the original product. There are arguments that suggest that, like a first run book, with mistakes, will always be more sought after than the reprints. One would hope this also applies to 1/6 scale collecting.

Gawd, I could care less about the limited edition wording. Do you really think that toys are investments? All this stuff is as "limited edition" as sportscards were in the 90's.

You're paying $200 for a doll because of the licensing costs. Everyone knows it takes the manufacturer a fraction of that cost just to produce the toy.

I buy because of the detail, the likeness, the outright coolness of these things and the wow factor by average-joe-non-collector-visitors seeing these in my house. If you're into these because you think these will be worth anything in the future or you're going to recoup costs or invest in these to make money down the line? :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Is there a limit to the number made... sure at some point. So they probably get to keep the title :lol

Then everything is a limited edition. I feel they either need to individually number them or at least release an edition size like Sideshow to truely have these called limited editions. We honestly have no clue how many figures they pump out these days. It could be as little as 1,000 or even 50,000 at this point. :dunno

With very few exceptions, HT figures have always allowed collectors to recoup not just the MSRP, but a tidy percentage on top of that. Seems that a lot of the whining isn't so much about "I can't get back my $125 on my Mk I" but "Mk I was selling for an easy $600 two weeks ago and now it's only selling for $250". So these people are seeing this as a loss of $350 rather than a gain of $125.

There are arguments that suggest that, like a first run book, with mistakes, will always be more sought after than the reprints. One would hope this also applies to 1/6 scale collecting.

I doubt it. I personally like old crappy figures but I think I'm the exception. I think what drives the price with HT is purely people wanting the best available representation of a character they like. Once there's a better representation available, interest in the old version declines. Given a choice, I think the sort of person who buys HT figures, both now and in the future, will always choose the best version available, never (at least to my mind) is the day going to come where people are going to say, 'I don't want the perfected version, I want the messed up version that came first.'

I haven't really thought about this in much depth though, this is just what immediately comes to mind. Maybe if I gave it more thought I might think differently.

15,000 is still limited...

How many wolverines were made? still can't find one...

well that's a bad example because of the fakes...

The only way they become worthless is if they make too many...

which as far as I know is only 3 figures in history...

Casual Bruce, Bruce in suit, and Thriller

Casual Bruce, Bruce in suit, and Thriller

I love hearing how I have two of the least desirable figures HT have ever made :lol

...whattabout Two Face?

Investing and collecting are two different things. Nobody thinks they are getting rich from selling these. I never heard anybody once say they are getting rich from Hot Toys or using them as an investment. If so, find that quote. It is not on this forum.

That being said. Hot Toys are awesome. They are great looking. They are simply NOT RARE. They will never be rare. Old comics are rare because people did not collect them back in the day. Every Hot Toys owner drops the big bills in order to display these peices, not play with them. There will be very few damaged of these. So, they will never be rare, especially with many rereleases.

I think collectors (like myself) paid the $150 - $200 or so for them because we thought they wouldn't make another Mark I or Robocop or Rambo. Now I know they are not and never will be rare. I no longer collect these (and I have 40!) I just started dropping them on Ebay tonight. I'm dumping my Wolverine and T-800 before they are worthless and remade.

I will now hunt down vintage items. Because I want rare and Hot Toys aint it.

I think I remember some guy saying he wanted to sell his Tumblers for his retirement and he didn't seem like he was joking.

I think I remember some guy saying he wanted to sell his Tumblers for his retirement and he didn't seem like he was joking.

hsc3225l.jpg

I love hearing how I have two of the least desirable figures HT have ever made :lol

...whattabout Two Face?

waddabout The Spirit? who? :lol:rotfl

I think at this point these threads need to be canned. Its all just rereleases of the same posts again and again and again and again. And again.

And the next one's always better than the first.

Limited to 50.000.:lol

I don't care about limited anything, if I want I buy, if can't no sweat.

I think at this point these threads need to be canned. Its all just rereleases of the same posts again and again and again and again. And again.

But where would Nova post?

Back