White actors taking roles from people of color .......(of course)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I'd add that it doesn't offend me in the least bit that Madea is played by a man.

Should I get serious? ok ill stop joking for a moment. it does annoy me that when Hollywood wants to be progressive in their casting, a lot of times they dont include hispanics. you'll see a cast of 8 white people and then 2 African American actors or sometimes one Asian actor.
look at Marvel. the only movie that had some hispanic actors was Ant Man, and they were not even the hero. there will never be a hispanic actor playing a marvel hero. but sure, tell me how I should care about more "diversity in Hollywood" when hispanics are barely represented in most movies. white actors dont represent a hispanic person but African American actors dont represent hispanics either. look at Jurassic World, where was the hispanic people? the movie was based in f ing Costa Rica. yet none of the crew were latinos? are you f ng kidding me? Joss Whedon complains so much about Diversity, OMG Diversity OH YEAH! barely hires latinos... right.
thats why im so cynical about this entire thing. WHERE was the Latina Ghostbuster? Paul feig keeps talking about diversity, hires mostly white people... JJ Abhrams complains how "The oscars are too white, the room is too white, too many white people" barely hires latinos.
Lejuan mentioned hypocrisy, hypocrisy goes the other way around as well, Every time a "progressive" director asks for progress and diversity they just hire a couple more African American actors. thats' "Good enough"

The hypocrisy aspect of this discussion does not involve the actual debate of diversity. The hypocrisy is the outrage on this site when some members complain about white men being replaced in a film by a non white male performer, but couldn't care less about the instances raised when people of color are replaced by white actors. The later happens far more frequently than the former. Evidence and support was abundantly provided. And it has been going on for decades, and is still being practiced. But there is no howling rage from SSF members in those instances.

So the conclusion is that discrimination against white men in movie casting is the only discrimination with which many members take issue. Other forms of discrimation are dismissed or met with pubescent struggles in thought and frustrated expression.

Should I get serious? ok ill stop joking for a moment. it does annoy me that when Hollywood wants to be progressive in their casting, a lot of times they dont include hispanics. you'll see a cast of 8 white people and then 2 African American actors or sometimes one Asian actor.
look at Marvel. the only movie that had some hispanic actors was Ant Man, and they were not even the hero. there will never be a hispanic actor playing a marvel hero. but sure, tell me how I should care about more "diversity in Hollywood" when hispanics are barely represented in most movies. white actors dont represent a hispanic person but African American actors dont represent hispanics either. look at Jurassic World, where was the hispanic people? the movie was based in f ing Costa Rica. yet none of the crew were latinos? are you f ng kidding me? Joss Whedon complains so much about Diversity, OMG Diversity OH YEAH! barely hires latinos... right.

thats why im so cynical about this entire thing. WHERE was the Latina Ghostbuster? Paul feig keeps talking about diversity, hires mostly white people... what the hell was his problem? JJ Abhrams complains how "The oscars are too white, the room is too white, too many white people" barely hires latinos.

Lejuan mentioned hypocrisy, hypocrisy goes the other way around as well, Every time a "progressive" director asks for progress and diversity they just hire a couple more African American actors. thats' "Good enough" they dont give a rat's butt about real diversity, they dont care about hiring more mexican actors, why should I take them seriously?

A point that's been made a few times in this thread (and fallen on deaf ears, naturally) is the uproar from just about everybody (myself included) at the whitewashing of The Major - and no doubt the rest of the cast too - for the forthcoming Ghost in the Shell movie. That should have been an opportunity for an upcoming or as-yet undiscovered Asian actress to lead a big-budget movie, but instead we get Scarlett Johansson. Who they even experimented with making up to look like an Asian, as if it wasn't insulting enough.

My problem with swapping the ethnicity/gender/sexuality/etc of an established character out has always come down to authorial intent, I'm not a person who subscribes to the 'Death of the Author' theory in any capacity. My other big problem is that I would much rather see stories/properties with prominent minority characters adapted than, for example, the 27th Bond movie in the series starring Idris Elba. There's currently a huge drought in Hollywood of original ideas, it'd be killing two birds with one stone to go out and bring us more stuff like the first two Blade movies.

here, ill show you the only Latino superheroes!

Nachopost.jpg

3b8c2e58b931cba94f3808fc4b177c4a.jpg

thats it.
DC? Marvel? X men? a big F YOU thats what :duff

Do you ever feel like we're going backwards? We had the likes of Blade and the Antonio Banderas Zorro (although I guess the supporting cast in that was questionable) back in the late nineties, and those were great entertainment. In Blade especially nobody seemed to bat an eyelid that Wesley Snipes was heading up a fairly diverse cast.

This speaks about the ghost in the shell casting and the dr strange casting
https://screenrant.com/ghost-shell-publisher-scarlett-johansson-casting/
Like some one said now a days casting choices go both ways. I'm sure most people don't care one way or the other who is cast as long as the movie is good. The only casting that has bothered me that I can think of was eisenberg as lex Jr. and Leto as the joker

Why is it that so many on this site give a full throated condemnation to discrimation when the white guy doesn't get the role, but when I raise a pervasive, and ONGOING casting practice that general benefits whites (men and women) people get painfully and obviously uncomfortable? All of that racially equality stuff I read in other threads goes right out the window. The champions of equality suddenly go so very Silent.

If casting is done for the purpose of pandering to racial considerations, the casting is racist. Who benefits is irrelevant. Motive is the only factor.

There's a major hypocrisy at play on this site.

Or perhaps you don't understand the double standard that's being applied.

The second is irritating but it's just part of the culture of complaint that seems to have escalated everywhere in recent years. Even so, white, middle-class men complaining about sexism and racism is pretty damned precious #poorwhiteme #wouldn'tknowracismifitstoodupinmysoupandpissedinmybeer

I know plenty of white kids who got beat daily going to predominantly black schools in the south. I think what would be edifying is if people learned the difference between the terms 'some' and 'all' and then used them correctly.

I know plenty of white kids who got beat daily going to predominantly black schools in the south. I think what would be edifying is if people learned the difference between the terms 'some' and 'all' and then used them correctly.

I was talking about the usual suspects on this board. But more broadly, isolated incidents of minority dominating hegemony don't come close to replicating the experience of being a minority. When all the spirit-babies are waiting to get their family they're praying for white, no doubt :lol

Hahahahhaha.....oh, dragon.

Matt Damon is Marco Polo? At least he's not using a gun/rifle and would like more gun control and such.

Please complain about this movie. You know you want to!!

He's like one of the few non Asian in this movie. He is bound to learn Kung Fu in a couple of weeks. Tom Cruise did in The Last Samurai, and so he can too.

Last edited:
it's like, disney never even made a latina princess movie...(nor do they plan to) the closest it came to do that was this weird chick:

latest

so yeah,sure, lets bring that Rocketeer chick on board while disney keeps ignoring latinos :moon:duh

lets have the only latino in the marvel universe be a stereotypical thief.... yeah ok, f u Disney..... :stake

pena-2-6087f.jpg

The black guy was a thief too you know.:dunno

I was talking about the usual suspects on this board. But more broadly, isolated incidents of minority dominating hegemony don't come close to replicating the experience of being a minority. When all the spirit-babies are waiting to get their family they're praying for white, no doubt :lol

I didn't know we had usual suspects. More benefits to avoiding the movie section than I knew. But there are more aspects to this that are not being considered. One is that Enlightenment culture was propagated mainly by people who have light skin, it was participated in mainly by people who have light skin, and the fruits of that culture's legacy are mainly enjoyed by people who have light skin. Success is not racial. Enlightenment culture is not white culture.

Two, the least racially oriented people I know are Enlightenment heirs.

Im not familiar with the term enlightenment culture, but the skin tone issue is it's own massive can of worms.

yeah but there's also Nick Fury, Falcon, mother freaking Black Panther! (now the Luke Cage tv show) ... War Machine... :dunno

the latino fanbase dont have anything like that movie wise, the only thing they have is El Diablo from suicide squad :lol

I have a hard time naming Latino comic book characters off the top of my head. Most long time fans are aware of the token characters you just mentioned. Aside from Ultimate Nick Fury, they've been pretty focused on Silver Age characters that they have the rights to use.

Im not familiar with the term enlightenment culture, but the skin tone issue is it's own massive can of worms.

Skin tone is an utterly irrelevant issue. The 18th century Enlightenment is the reason western civilization revolutionized the world. Culture. Not race.

I didn't know we had usual suspects. More benefits to avoiding the movie section than I knew. But there are more aspects to this that are not being considered. One is that Enlightenment culture was propagated mainly by people who have light skin, it was participated in mainly by people who have light skin, and the fruits of that culture's legacy are mainly enjoyed by people who have light skin. Success is not racial. Enlightenment culture is not white culture.

Two, the least racially oriented people I know are Enlightenment heirs.

In the same vein, so-called "White" societies generally are the most racially inclusive and diverse on the planet. My point isn't specifically about white culture, but the experience of being a minority. Those aligned with the dominant culture tend to be oblivious to the multitude of actions, events and procedures that reinforce the "otherness" of minority individuals in a society. When people within the dominant culture complain about minority "agendas" and racial "double-standards", they tend to be ignorant of the extent of their advantage.

Back