White actors taking roles from people of color .......(of course)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
History can disagree all it likes.

Lejuan, what I'm saying is that the advantages are not racially acquired, and by extension, not racially denied. In more instances than I'm comfortable with, the otherness of minorities is culturally self-imposed, to the extent that those minorities self-identify according to phenotypes.

Imagine if they made sofia vergara or Salma Hayek a ghostbuster instead of yet another white chick...... :mad:

36263078.jpg

Lejuan, what I'm saying is that the advantages are not racially acquired, and by extension, not racially denied. In more instances than I'm comfortable with, the otherness of minorities is culturally self-imposed, to the extent that those minorities self-identify according to phenotypes.

I believe they are, by simple virtue of the racial composition of the dominant culture and the historical resistance of the dominant culture to multiracial access and inclusion. It is the privilege of the hegemon that its members don't have to self-identify - in Western societies white people typically don't give much thought to the colour of their own skin. In this light, I've seen in the movie threads something of what Ali is claiming here - these people aren't being wilfully hypocritical, but they're apparently oblivious to the implications of inclusion and representation in mainstream cultural objects and artefacts.

one thing I hate is how some of them think that by helping one minority that means all other minorities gain from it, or are represented.
we are talking about movies and white washing so im sticking to that, to Hollywood. Its like they go "Hey minorities from different races, here's a new Nick Fury! Happy now???"
well no... that doesnt represent everyone else that is not white or black Joss Whedon... Leslie Jones doesnt represent all minorities with GB Paul Feig... wtf'

Imagine if they made sofia vergara or Salma Hayek a ghostbuster instead of yet another white chick...... :mad:

And why do you think this is?

fake progressiveness? benevolent racism?

You don't think activism has anything to do with it?

Are people like Joss Whedon and Paul Feig guilty of this as well "in Western societies white people typically don't give much thought to the colour of their own skin. these people aren't being wilfully hypocritical, but they're apparently oblivious to the implications of inclusion and representation in mainstream cultural objects and artefacts.

(serious question, not sarcasm)

maybe Ali is right about something that he doesn't even know he is right about. The people making the Rocketeer a black girl in the name of all minorities are guilty of being oblivious as well... adding token characters to an All white cast is just as oblivious?

Sometimes well-meaning white people can seem more concerned about racial representation in various contexts than the non-whites they're seeking to represent :dunno But I think Ali is more concerned about the perceived hypocrisy of certain board members decrying 'black washing' in one context while having no issue with 'white washing' in another.

You don't think activism has anything to do with it?

Sometimes well-meaning white people can seem more concerned about racial representation in various contexts than the non-whites they're seeking to represent :dunno But I think Ali is more concerned about the perceived hypocrisy of certain board members decrying 'black washing' in one context while having no issue with 'white washing' in another.

In other words, he got fed up with the "outrage" in the movie threads that seems to focus on whitewashing or being PC or whatever people want to call it nowadays. I'm guessing the title of the Rocketeers movie thread (which is gone?) was the final straw since he titled this thread similarly. I don't think calling people hypocrites is the way to go about making his point, but he's been here longer than I have. Maybe when I'm here as long it'll all seem hypocritical to me to. This thread makes we wonder about Air's sudden departure from the forum and maybe he'd just had enough.

First, your opinion isnt any more or less valid because of how long youve been a memebr of this site. There are plenty of ppl with lots of time and some with little time who post stupid things.

Second, i stand by the use of the word hypocrisy. When the outage over white actors being replaced in 2 movies each gets its own thread and pages of complaints about the same, and how it's racist, then the mountain of times that that white actors (men and women) get roles written for people of color should get the same condemnation. But that didnt happen when i raised it. What happened was some people showed their true colors- the evidence was dismissed or ridiculed by some who can only do the mental equivalent of tread water.

So yea, that's hypocrisy.

Last edited:
The conclusion is that alleged discrimination ONLY against white men in movies gets any attention or sympathy on this site. There were NO other threads about any other alleged victims of discrimation. So why is that?

My concluson is that discrimation against white males in movies is the only valid, valued, and recognized form of alleged discrimination that memebers of this site recognize. When presented with evidence that demonstrates a far more frequent, ongoing, and historically pervasive form of discrimation in movies (where white men are NOT the victims, but instead more likely to be the beneficiary of discrimination) many member of this site declined to even acknowledge the practice. That evidence was met with ridicule and rejection.

The same demonstrates an inability to empathize with others who are not white men regarding movie casting. Other alleged forms of discrimation involving non white roles are devoid of legitimacy and unworthy of acknowledgement. The irony being that people of color are exponentially more likely to lose a movie to a white person (man or woman) than the other way around.

The alternative may be even more troubling- that many on his site are aware of the alleged discrimation in movie casting for people of color and simply dont care. This instance lends a tacit approval to the dicrimination against non white males. This is theory is also supported by the evidence previously articulated.

one thing I hate is how some of them think that by helping one minority that means all other minorities gain from it, or are represented.
we are talking about movies and white washing so im sticking to that, to Hollywood. Its like they go "Hey minorities from different races, here's a new Nick Fury! Happy now???"
well no... that doesnt represent everyone else that is not white or black Joss Whedon... Leslie Jones doesnt represent all minorities with GB Paul Feig... wtf'

You guys wouldn't have liked it anyway. :lol

Last edited:
Is Ice-T a black man or white? His baby with Coco is just as white. Nonetheless, he seem to bask on his gangsta image before. Is he even gangsta or like gangsta reserve for black, Hispanic folks. Sure gangsta comes in all colors; Asian, Polish, etc.

But 3 white chicks ? Really? He went the opposite way. He tried to please anybody

Well, he's following the percentages really.

See, to me, it doesn't matter what color they are. They way people are such a mixed bag these days, who knows what anyone is. :dunno

I'm a mongrel. :yess:

Who wants to make a bet that a black actor is nominated for an Oscar this year! And probably wins. Does Vegas have a line on this?

Back