White actors taking roles from people of color .......(of course)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. when someone of a different race or gender gets cast is a role that has previously been held by a white guy, that movie gets its own thread with the race/gender change noted in the title.

2. There is no shortage of disgruntled comments about political correctness, discrimination, gay stuff, being a minority in those threads.

So when it took me 8 seconds to google "whitewashing" and find 100 examples (only from movies) I JUST KNEW there had to be a thread on the subject on this site. So many people quick to chime in about race and gender issues. And that was for just 2-3 movies!!

So i ask my fellow freaks who i know are so attune to race and gender issues given all the postings ive read, can someone please show me the thread about white people being cast in roles originally written as a person of color? I mean it's been going on for 100 years. And from the looks of it it's still happening. So i would kindly ask for the link on THAT form of discrimination- you know the one that makes up 98% of the examples where white actors get roles of ppl of color n

Thank **** for The Fresh Prince:

Will Smith: Agent J in 'Men In Black'

Will Smith: James West in 'Wild Wild West'

Will Smith: Del Spooner in 'I, Robot'

Will Smith: Robert Neville in 'I Am Legend'

Will Smith: Deadshot in 'Suicide Squad'

Thank **** for The Fresh Prince:

Will Smith: Agent J in 'Men In Black'

Will Smith: James West in 'Wild Wild West'

Will Smith: Del Spooner in 'I, Robot'

Will Smith: Robert Neville in 'I Am Legend'

Will Smith: Deadshot in 'Suicide Squad'

The worst part is he's Will Smith in all those roles. I hate Jim Carrey for the same reason. And yes Carrey is Smith in all his movies.:monkey3

Chinese audiences sometimes not watch movies if the leads are African American :dunno (problem is they are becoming the biggest movie market) so you have a country rapidly becoming the biggest consumer of movies (and having some racist preferences) while you have the country making the movies movies in the world trying to be a little more progressive...
how do you fix this problem ?

It's hard to change people's views. Decisions have to be made. Will the movie make enough money without that market? As a film maker do you care? Are you more invested in your vision than capital? What would be a balance? Again, back to decisions.

i see your point but, like for example the only reason that pacific rim is getting a sequel is because it did so well in china, it underperformed here but china saved it
warcraft totally flopped here but china saved it as well. maybe america can change their minds with big movies like star wars and avengers.

Yes because whatever they did for Star Wars and Avengers clearly didn't work...

1. when someone of a different race or gender gets cast is a role that has previously been held by a white guy, that movie gets its own thread with the race/gender change noted in the title.

2. There is no shortage of disgruntled comments about political correctness, discrimination, gay stuff, being a minority in those threads.

So when it took me 8 seconds to google "whitewashing" and find 100 examples (only from movies) I JUST KNEW there had to be a thread on the subject on this site. So many people quick to chime in about race and gender issues. And that was for just 2-3 movies!!

So i ask my fellow freaks who i know are so attune to race and gender issues given all the postings ive read, can someone please show me the thread about white people being cast in roles originally written as a person of color? I mean it's been going on for 100 years. And from the looks of it it's still happening. So i would kindly ask for the link on THAT form of discrimination- you know the one that makes up 98% of the examples where white actors get roles of ppl of color n

What are you trying to prove?

i see your point but, like for example the only reason that pacific rim is getting a sequel is because it did so well in china, it underperformed here but china saved it. warcraft totally flopped here but china saved it as well.
maybe america can change their minds with big movies like star wars and avengers.

whats interesting is that Hollywood could hire a lot more chinese actors but they dont, they would both bring more diversity to movies and also make chinese markets happy.
but... they dont. they really dont care to hire more chinese actors. kinda weird.

(South America/central America is also a HUGE big market as well with more than 15 countries helping the box office but you dont really see hollywood hiring more latinos... )

It's going to take people speaking with their wallets. Hollywood feels it can put out whatever they want and people will eat it up because we do. Change is slow and at times painful.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Hope this helps.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Is there a link to the thread that discusses whitewashing? I would love to read the comments by some of the more vocal commentators on race and gender as a function of movie casting. I gave 100 examples of the practice.

Or do threads only get created in the 3 cases where white guy's role was changed?

Back