"Kingdom of The Crystal Skull" 5 Years Later.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nicest thing I can say about KOTCS is I've been able to re-watch TOD and see it's strengths now that they've made an Indy film that was so tone deaf.

I'll agree there was promise in the first hour of the film. Most of the crap was heavy loaded onto the back end.

If they weren't going to feature Abner Ravenwood why bother with the character Oxley? Mutt should have gone to Indy at the diner and told him "My mother is missing" "Sorry to hear that kid" "My mother is Marion Ravenwood"

The audience would have a character in jeopardy they are emotionally invested in. Nobody is surprised by the revelation of Mutt as Indy's kid, and the introduction of Marion was handled wrong on every level.

I'll also agree the blame for Marion being a bad character in KOTCS is bigger than blaming Karen Allen. I don't know how any actress is supposed to portray "happily drive off a cliff onto a tree branch you doesn't know is there". Or go from 20 years of deep anger about raising a son by herself to hopelessly in love while sitting in a Nazi truck. In one scene. I could go on by why bother? The second hour is a f---ing mess.

TOD on the other hand has gained clout to me in recent years. This was ILM at the height of it's practical effects filmaking. It was the last big film they made before CGI started to creep in. There's glass matte shots and stop motion and kick *** old school filmaking. If you can ignore everything Capshaw says there's a lot to enjoy. Ford also ACTS, which is really saying something now.

KOTCS also seals the deal for me in one further regard.... like many others I thought Spielberg should direct a Star Wars film. I thought he was above the errors of the PT. I changed my opinion after this film.

You forget that George is a stubborn *******, and forced a lot of crap on Spielberg's plate.

Anything good in that movie is because of Spielberg. I'm convinced.

Really?

If i'd break it down..

KOTCS

Van down by the river

Prequels.

Yep. I would rather watch the prequels any day over KOTCS. Like I said there is plenty to hate in the PT but at least I like some stuff even if it is just eye candy. But at least it had some eye candy. While I did not hate the first 45 min of KOTCS had it been in any other film then an Indy film I would have thought it was crap. Of course the same could be said of the PT. Had it not had the SW name to it I would not have given it a second thought.

I think all the films come across as lazy film making. George and Steven should be ashamed.

As a filmmaker/writer/director, I enjoy reading others critical reviews of movies as it opens my eyes to things I may not have considered.

While I agree on most aspects of what you've said, I on the other hand, do believe that this version of the Indy character does not feel like the same character from the first three films. Yes, it has been many years, mostly in terms of storyline, but there really isn't a lot of explanation for these changes in character.

From there, we’re taken to a scene in which Indy is debriefed by some G-men. This is actually one of the better scenes in the movie, and Harrison Ford does some great work here. His speech about “that Air Force fiasco in ‘47” absolutely harkens to the Harrison Ford heyday of the early 80s. And the hinted at backstory of Indy as a WWII Special Services operative who went on many missions in both Europe and the Pacific is a tantalizing addition to Indy canon.

One of the bigger mistakes of the movie because it's a better idea than what they went with. When they started talking about these missing years of Indy's adventures I thought they sounded cooler than the movie I was watching. On repeated viewings I felt this even more strongly.

I've probably said this before somewhere in the 11 pages but....

KotCS is a case of spending 20yrs over thinking things.

Its not hard for an Indy fan to find all the unused scripts on the net and they even have pages dedicated to breakdowns of them in that big 'complete Indiana Jones' hardcover thing they did.

The final shooting script was a case of trying to cram bits and pieces of all the different scripts into one big script and I think by the end they were happy they managed to actually achieve that ....rather than stepping back and asking, "but is it actually any good now?"

I've probably said this before somewhere in the 11 pages but....

KotCS is a case of spending 20yrs over thinking things.

Its not hard for an Indy fan to find all the unused scripts on the net and they even have pages dedicated to breakdowns of them in that big 'complete Indiana Jones' hardcover thing they did.

The final shooting script was a case of trying to cram bits and pieces of all the different scripts into one big script and I think by the end they were happy they managed to actually achieve that ....rather than stepping back and asking, "but is it actually any good now?"

:goodpost:

Sadly, most of those bits and pieces weren't any good to begin with. Even Frank Darabont's draft has some major problems, IMO. Most, if not all, the faults lie on the shoulders of Lucas who oversaw most of those early story treatments. We've all heard the stories that Ford and Spielberg fought hard against the aliens (and probably many other things), but Lucas dug his heels firmly to the ground and gave them the ultimatum that it was either the aliens or nothing. Spielberg was even gracious enough in an interview to take the blame for the prairie dogs, because he knew how much heat the movie was getting for so many terrible ideas.

The nicest thing I can say about KOTCS is I've been able to re-watch TOD and see it's strengths now that they've made an Indy film that was so tone deaf.

TOD on the other hand has gained clout to me in recent years. This was ILM at the height of it's practical effects filmaking. It was the last big film they made before CGI started to creep in. There's glass matte shots and stop motion and kick *** old school filmaking. If you can ignore everything Capshaw says there's a lot to enjoy. Ford also ACTS, which is really saying something now.

Yes!!! TOD does not get the respect it deserves. You hit the nail on the head about ILM at their height. The mine car chase is an amazing blend of f/x and real actors. I even love Willie!!! Her scream in the mine car chase jump is perfect. All goes quiet except for her panicked scream... Love it.

Back