Were you guys into models...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kngfu

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not swimsuit models, but vinyl or resin models. Back in the early 90's I thought nothing of spending close to $75 on a Screaming or Horizon kit, but now I am married and on a budget. The thought of repainting a figure that I spent $30 on scares my away from trying it. It's great to see fearless artists out there. Any chance of seeing any old models that some of the old timers like me use to work on?

I never did any myself, besides jet airplanes or Gundam models. But I lost those a long time ago, and any painting I did on them was pretty minor... nothing like what I do now.. :lol

I did see a good bit of the ones that Les has done, some top notch work there..

Oh yeah, big time,
I bought almost every one of the horizon series(sometimes two of each) I bought the screamin series, resin kits, cold cast kits etc. I sold off alot after I built and painted them, still have a few in storage and hell, I'm still using some for customizing here and there. I don't have any pictures (digital) but I'm sure I could find someone to scan my "portfolio". I used to put them on display at my local comic/toy retailer, and still have the Horizon Hulk/Thing /wolverine(v2) and terminator on display there.
I learned all my painting techniques on those kits, and have also sculpted a few myself. I'm into customizing the 1/6 figures at the moment, but the "married" end of things has slowed me down to a crawl as well.

Absolutely!

I've built 'em all! Vinyl, Resin, Styrene, Wood, you name it!

My first ever vinyl kit was the Horizon Robocop from the late 80's early 90's. Followed by the Batman movie kits. From there, I got Billiken kits, Screamin, Kaiyodo, and so on. I invested tons in all that, and over time, sold much of it off as Sideshow and other companies replaced the subjects with posable figures, as that was always preferable to me.

But. I liked the general 1/6 scale, as that has always been the magic size for me. Since the old school GI Joes I guess...
I have never been into anything larger, 1/4 kits or the newer PF scale figures, so yeah, vinyl and resin kits ruled.

Truth is, I go way back to the grand old days of when Aurora styrene kits ruled the World! Back in the mid-late 60's and early 70's. I had many of those old guys and they kicked so much butt in my early days. So, I have been a sucker for kits and figures for way too long.

I admit this also, there is NO PLEASANT SMELL on Earth that can equal the classic scent of a freshly opened and built styrene kit, made with that old, toxic Testors orange and white tube glue, and painted with old school enamel paints thinned with paint thinner. That is the classic smell of my youth. And no, I wasn't tripping on it either. :lol

Miss all that, but kits are still cool, and I still occasionally get a resin kit now, and enjoy the building experience from time to time.
Nothing like making them yourself.

So yeah, I was into models. :D
Always will be I guess.

I never really got into painting vinyl models, but loved building airplane and ship models.Here is one of the Titanic I built.I have always had a connection to this ship and never really knew why (kind of like Richard Dryfus character in Close Encounters with Devil's Mountain).When Ballard found it and the pictures came out in National Geographic,I was hooked

I built this many years ago.It is lit up by remote and has flourescent,grain of wheat bulbs and fiber optics run through it.Brass railings about 300 or so people individually painted,deck chairs etc....

I hope you guys dig this: :D

SHIP1.jpg

ship3.jpg

ship4.jpg

SHIP2.jpg

ship5.jpg

ship6.jpg

I loved doing models as a kid of cars like Porsche 911 or a 57 Chevy-that type of thing-but I was always frustrated with the results so I eventually gave up. :monkey2

By the way orbitingx, that model Titanic is awesome! :clap

Orbitingx, how long is that thing? It deserves to be in a museum with paid admission! :bow How long did it take you do build it from beginning to end? And where did you purchase it???

Yep started with Screamin kits and then got into resin Garage kits for quite a while. They started getting too expensive so I stopped with them and started customizing figures of my own. Now I pay as much for some figures as I used to for some of the kits. Still have most of my old screamin and resin kits laying around.

I never really got into painting vinyl models, but loved building airplane and ship models.Here is one of the Titanic I built.I have always had a connection to this ship and never really knew why (kind of like Richard Dryfus character in Close Encounters with Devil's Mountain).When Ballard found it and the pictures came out in National Geographic,I was hooked

I built this many years ago.It is lit up by remote and has flourescent,grain of wheat bulbs and fiber optics run through it.Brass railings about 300 or so people individually painted,deck chairs etc....

I hope you guys dig this: :D

SHIP1.jpg

ship3.jpg

ship4.jpg

SHIP2.jpg

ship5.jpg

ship6.jpg

Now THAT'S impressive!:chew

Thanks for the thumbs up Pix,JL,P1X4R, and CW!! :wave

JL model is approximately 29" from bow to stern.

It took me about six months from start to finish.I don't really remember how many hours though......(all those little details.... The ships band can be seen in the fourth pic towards the left in front of the second funnel ).

When I moved from California to Georgia I had foamed the inside of the case to protect from side to side motion but not vertical........Well both masts collapsed at the top towards the flags it took several months before I would consider messing with it again, but I did carefully and as you can see from the pics you can't really tell.....PHEW

Sometime in the future I will venture in the hot attic and pull down some more models I have done.

If there is any intrest for them?

I still buy garage kits. Since I'm mainly into movie and tv characters there are a lot of kits I've bought that are the only way to get an obscure favorite.

I buy garage kits, which ever suits my taste :monkey5

Also, Orbiting X, there is a Fair here in SD where people showcase their wood working skills and craftmanship, specially miniture boat models. Awesoem work !!! :rock

SCREAMIN MODELS WERE AWESOME...

yep, i had all the SW ones and All the hellraiser ones, some of the 1/4 scale SW were err a bit vague with the scupting ,the 1/6 however were great, the 1/6 screamin /kaiyodo is rapidly becoming the Vader custom holy grail.

Awesome! Titanic and a very nice tiger, I use to love making BAC Lighting Mk6's, a sweet looking cold war jet fighter.

Last edited:
Hurricane that's awesome! Love the care and the attention to detail!

Orbitingx, that Titanic is simply amazing, especially the lights and the litle windows. Really an impressive peice!

I was never huge into models, a few Star Wars ships here and there. But I'd have always rather had a toy. I made some custom GI Joe vehicles, but no models per se. My brother was really into Warhammer 40k some years back and I would help with painting, mostly the Space Marines.

Thanks for the props Toe,ian,and Xander, your compliments are very kind. :cool:

I wish I could go to see that show Toe :monkey2

And hurricane that weathering on that tank simply rules.....:rock

Last edited:
Orbitingx, I'd love to see more of your model work! And Hurricane, how long did it take you to paint that thing? :google

Back