VANDERSTELT FOTR LITHOS AVAILABLE !

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good gravy thats expensive. I'm gonna get something nice but it will have to be closer to the $150 range.

Yeah...am afraid I went temporarily insane. :eek: This eats up at least 1/2 of my collecting budget for next year.

This has to get framed though. Just too cruel to leave it in the tube.

Agreed! That's why I went yesterday and did it. I can't wait to have it on my wall.

Wetanut: I feel your pain. Mine is not up there but it's closer to $350. The size of the print, the non-reflective UV protected premium glass and the frame I picked do justify the price.

Woodsy pretty much covered it all. It basically comes down to "you get what you pay for". We all have our budgets so just choose the best that you can afford. The print itself is awesome already as it is so the extras are just the cherry on top.

Right! The print is just so amazing a decent frame will look great with this.

Both my folks said as soon as they saw it that I had to get it framed ASAP and that it was one of their favorite items I have ever bought.

Ok so can one of you framing officianados explain to a lay person what's wrong with using an "off the shelf" type frame that's not uv protected and has a cardboard backing? I'm talking about something you would buy without going to a professional frame shop. I'm assuming it will ruin the print? If so, over what time and what exactly will it do to the print and the remarque? Thanx!

My matting/framing is costing a mint ($480-$500). But I'm having it triple matted -- dark blue suede first layer, second layer is light gold/amber (to pick up the gold throughout the litho), then outer matting is another dark blue textured. Non-glare conservation glass, acid-free foam core. To take care of the nightmare at the bottom, I'm having the mat go onto the actual artwork at the bottom then having cut outs for the remarque, title, and edition size/autograph (ergo, the reason for the triple mat). The frame itself is very similar to SolidLiquidFox's (in fact, I almost picked that very one), but a bit lighter with hints of gold tones in the wood. All I can say is it's a good thing these will probably only be coming out once a year. My hubby has offered to pay for half of it as a Christmas present. I guess he won't have to rack his brains for a present for me for the next 2 Christmases.

Yikes, have you checked around for prices? I'm looking at $325 for mine and from what I can see the only difference is you are going with 3 mattes instead of my two. I am going with TruVue non-glare conservation glass and though my moulding is different, it too is at the very top range in price.

You are right about the logistical nightmare on the bottom of the print. I thought about doing exactly what you are but I think it's just going to look too choppy, almost like looking at a road map! I'm actually thinking of having the bottom matte cut to just below the image itself and then cut around the remarque on the other side. That would mean covering the number of the print and the signature [which I have never done before with any of my limited edition artwork], and the LOTR title [which I can take or leave]. Certainly not the ideal solution, but it would give the bottom of the print a much cleaner look.
Ideally, the signature and number of the print should have been located in the margin directly below the image itself and the LOTR title located in the middle of the print [exactly where it is located] but lower down, below the level of the signature and print number. This way we could choose whether or not to cover the LOTR title but still have the signature and number of the print showing. And I don't even want to talk about having that copyright information just below the image itself. It should have been located at the very bottom of the print itself where it would never be seen once the print is framed.

Ok so can one of you framing officianados explain to a lay person what's wrong with using an "off the shelf" type frame that's not uv protected and has a cardboard backing? I'm talking about something you would buy without going to a professional frame shop. I'm assuming it will ruin the print? If so, over what time and what exactly will it do to the print and the remarque? Thanx!

The UV protection pertains to the glass. Reg. glass provides no UV protection so if you are going with it make sure your print is nowhere near direct sunlight as this will "yellow" the print. It may take several years, but it will eventually happen thus ruining the print. Preferably you don't want it in rooms with alot of sunlight either. Even if you are using non-glare glass you don't want it in direct sunlight, but you can use it in rooms with alot of light without having to worry about it.

As for cardboard backing...don't do it! Cardboard is highly acidic and it will cause 'yellowing" and blotting on the print. As to when this will happen is dependant on factors such as the level of acid in the cardboard and the climate contols in your house. Humidity is a killer and it will certainly speed up the "yellowing ' process. Ideally you want to have any high-end artwork in a home with air-conditioning.

woodsy - yeah, I checked around and all were in the $420-$450 price range. I'm going with two different textured mats as well and I knew it was gonna be a bit more. It's a definite ouchie on the old wallet but the framer I went with is very trustworthy and I know they won't pass me off a cheap version of the mats that I picked out...I've seen this happen too many times to other folks. Plus, they told me that if I didn't like the cutout effect (as you said, may be a bit too choppy), they will fix it with no additional cost.

Josh, unless you have someone recommended to you, the easiest for you is probably to take it to either Michael's or Hobby Lobby -- they will probably be much cheaper and could probably do a good job for you. But then, the quality/ability of the hired framer will differ from store to store so it's a crapshoot. I've had issues with 4 of the stores around me in the western/southern parts of Kansas City; maybe they're better in your neck of the woods. Regardless, check around with your friends to get a feel for what their experience has been.

Sorry for the problems you seem to be having on your framing issues. The legal line for instance, I made about as small as was allowed. The other things such as the logo and my titles were my personal preferences, approved by New Line.
And woodsy, take it easy on me. You're killing me! :nono

JV

I'm done with custom frames and will pass on any piece that requires one. I don't have the money to spend on the print and then another $300 on a frame. My living room gets no sunlight and I'll pop into Michaels and get an off the shelf 24x30 frame.

Yessss I finally got mine, number 72, with a sketch of Gollum! I LOVE IT!! :rock

Freaking Dutch customs made me pay 40 Euro's ($ 60) before I could receive it from the postman tho. :mad: I mean, come on! That's 1/3rd of the price I paid for everything (litho and shipping costs). Outrageous!

Sorry for the problems you seem to be having on your framing issues. The legal line for instance, I made about as small as was allowed. The other things such as the logo and my titles were my personal preferences, approved by New Line.
And woodsy, take it easy on me. You're killing me! :nono

JV

Sorry Jerry! My intentions are noble. I worked in an art gallery for years and know how very important framing is to any piece of fine art [which your litho certainly is]. Framing can literally make or break a picture and you have done such a great job on this litho....I just want the framing to reflect and compliment what you have put in print form. That being said, I will now shut my mouth! :D

Thanks for info on custom framing, Woodsy, SLF and Wetanut. I don't think I'll be able to afford something as expensive, but something around $150 range will be sufficient for me.

Wow, all those wonderful remarques ...

kinda makes me sad to have the Ringwraith gauntlet.

:monkey2 :monkey3

Josh, unless you have someone recommended to you, the easiest for you is probably to take it to either Michael's or Hobby Lobby -- they will probably be much cheaper and could probably do a good job for you. But then, the quality/ability of the hired framer will differ from store to store so it's a crapshoot. I've had issues with 4 of the stores around me in the western/southern parts of Kansas City; maybe they're better in your neck of the woods. Regardless, check around with your friends to get a feel for what their experience has been.

I may just do that Rumi. Mom and I talked about it just recently.

Back