Toys Battalion "Mars Guardian" (ZSJL Martian Manhunter)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that luminous red paint over the eyes will help immensely. Without enabled LED it looks really bad.

According to tracking mine has flown out from HK so hopefully I’ll have it in hand within the week.

I can make it look good in photos, I’m sure. How it’ll look on the shelf is another story!
""
Not looking great, but still no decent photos too, guys. Close ups are always bad. Posing helps. I hope somebody will try better.""

ive no doubt if anyone can make this look good in a picture it will be you , your pictures are awesome

im just a old bloke with a camera phone ,i was just trying to show what you'd see when you opened it , no frills

if folks want posed up ,idealised pictures look again at the solicitation pictures ,i was just trying to give a honest look at what it looks like straight out of the box, not misrepresent it as something better than it was lol

you're dead right about the eyes ,would look better red ,im waiting on them to sort out the terms of my replacement before i mess with them ,but painted is the way to improve it i think

anyway as a background figure hes okay for my needs , and here he is in the league of third party head sculpts lol

looking forward to seeing better pictures and customisation of this feller

Attachments

• 20220131_095317.jpg
    20220131_095317.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220131_095333.jpg
    20220131_095333.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 82
Wow! That one sure came out terribly. Actually looks about on par with those $10 Titan Series figures for kids that are in toy aisles…
43DEEED4-E609-486D-A0CE-75C0B5EEA24A.jpeg

Arrived on 2/1 in the evening time at a nearby postal service facility and per tracking “tendered for delivery,” so I would imagine it should be arriving today. Assuming that it does arrive today or tomorrow, I’ll have about an hour this evening to snap some quick unboxing pics. And then tomorrow evening I’ll do a proper shoot. Maybe a quick video of it on a turntable as well.

Last edited:
It's supposed to be arriving tomorrow afternoon. I'll be free in the evening and the next day to spend some time posing and photographing the figure.

It's supposed to be arriving tomorrow afternoon. I'll be free in the evening and the next day to spend some time posing and photographing the figure.
Are you sure you don’t want to just go ahead and refuse delivery after those first in hand pictures from a page back?

Are you sure you don’t want to just go ahead and refuse delivery after those first in hand pictures from a page back?

Lol, I’m considering taking this up this up as a kitbash project. I enjoy modding figures, so it’ll be interesting to see what I can do with this figure as my base. Whether it ends up just being lipstick on a pig or gilding a turd or whatever is a risk I’ll accept.

They didn't include a battery for the glowing eyes which is annoying. I'm not even sure what type of battery it takes. If I can find out what to get I'll try to pick up a battery tomorrow.

It's actually not terrible. It's better than I expected. I was expecting C- and arguably it's a solid B. The head sculpt is pretty good. Articulation is good. At certain angles and poses he looks good.

He's growing on me. I kind of like him.

You know... I'm not unhappy that I got him. I still plan to heavily kitbash him though.

Here's an unenhanced photo where I didn't play around with effects.

IMG_3610.JPG

Here's an unenhanced photo where I didn't play around with effects.

View attachment 560535
Your photography is excellent…the figure on the other hand…well I don’t even know where to start so I’ll just say we have an early front runner for worst release of 2022.
It may look better in hand (I have NO intention of ever finding out) but in the pictures it definitely doesn’t look like a solid B or even a C- for that matter…my eyes see a clear and distinct F.

Your photography is excellent…the figure on the other hand…well I don’t even know where to start so I’ll just say we have an early front runner for worst release of 2022.
It may look better in hand (I have NO intention of ever finding out) but in the pictures it definitely doesn’t look like a solid B or even a C- for that matter…my eyes see a clear and distinct F.

Thank you for the compliment on the photographs, you’re literally too kind there, lol. Apologies that the resolution (plus compression to uploaded images at this site) leaves a bit to be desired. I’m using iPhone 11. I wish I had a higher resolution camera. I’m currently looking for a 4K one in $100-250 range that has an adjustable F-stop.

But anyway, yeah, I tend to be a kind, gentle grader when it comes to most things. F for me would be Asmus Ash from Evil Dead, lol.

I’m obviously more forgiving than you, but perhaps even C is being too kind probably for most people. I say B because for me the overall effect of the figure is actually nowhere near as terrible as some of the individual aspects of it that stand out in photos make it appear. On the display shelf, the overall effect is still favorable. (Again for me. YMMV.)

The body is too thin and his arms are small. In the film he’s not skinny like that. Nor is he skinny in the comics.

Also the jointed shoulders, elbows, and wrists are always a bit of a buzzkill for me. They call attention to the reality that it’s a toy figure versus my willing suspension of disbelief in a faithful three dimensional 1/6 scale representation of the character from the film.

It would be a challenge to try to adapt a Phicen because of the male ball joint for Phicen the head sculpt. The figure’s head sculpt has a male ball joint that fits a female hollow in the neck. I might be able to remove the ball joint in the head. I can use blu-tack on the ball joint to affix.

The illuminated eyes feature for mine doesn’t work, which means I can probably return him to Giantoy. It’s still Chinese New Years so it’ll wait until after the holiday ends today or tomorrow for Giantoy to respond. But they’ll probably give me the option to return it. I’d probably be fool not to ship him back out and just get a refund. But even despite all the negative things about the figure I like him overall posed at certain angles. What to do… 🤔

i contacted them about mine as soon as it arrived last week ,
mine had surplus glue sticking it all up so switch won't operate
they responded and told me they would replace it ,not sure if they meant the head or the figure ,

waiting for a reply

id get right on to them if i were you

ill keep you posted about what they say

Back