The Last of Us Part I (Remake for PS5 & PC)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean it's no different than what happens with figures, take Hot Toys Marty McFly for example, the original was around $225 and while it's a good figure, it's dated by today's standards, the new one is $285 and it's the exact same figure only reproduced with better tailoring, paint, casting, etc, the only difference is that it comes with a dog (and not a very good one) but even tho it's technically the same it still sold for above the original, this game is no different, the studio used new tech, had animators redo all the cutscenes, had to create the entire game in the new engine, and they certainly didn't do it for free, the good thing is unlike a Hot Toys figure the original game is still widely available and you can get it or play it whenever you like but to say the remake is lazy or that it should cost $40 dollars just because it's based off the first game is just wrong, people don't work for free, almost nothing is free these days and the cost to produce games is way higher these days, same with figures, the good thing is nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, you can choose to pay the full price, wait for a sale or just never buy it, I just find it disingenuous to say this is just a lazy cash grab or that they just changed the graphics when it's clearly not the case, was the remake absolutely necessary? Not really. Am I glad it exists? Absolutely, and I'm even more glad the remake will finally bring the game to PC.

At the end of the day I feel the hate directed is in large part due to the devision TLOU2 is still causing today and people refusing to seperate the actual game from the story and aknowledging it's one of the best games produced and extremely fun to play, well it's that and gamers being extremely entitled and petty as usual, also console wars ******** and Sony bad and whatever but for someone like me who was disappointed with how the story of Part 2 was executed this remake is everything I hoped for, the amazing graphics and fun, brutal gameplay of the second game, combined with the story I've loved for years.

Meh I still wouldn’t call it a remake. More like an upgraded version with better combat and graphics. Idk that’s just me tho.

They've got my $70 and only cuz I missed out on the steelbook edition, otherwise they'd have more of my money.

I mean it's no different than what happens with figures, take Hot Toys Marty McFly for example, the original was around $225 and while it's a good figure, it's dated by today's standards, the new one is $285 and it's the exact same figure only reproduced with better tailoring, paint, casting, etc, the only difference is that it comes with a dog (and not a very good one) but even tho it's technically the same it still sold for above the original, this game is no different, the studio used new tech, had animators redo all the cutscenes, had to create the entire game in the new engine, and they certainly didn't do it for free, the good thing is unlike a Hot Toys figure the original game is still widely available and you can get it or play it whenever you like but to say the remake is lazy or that it should cost $40 dollars just because it's based off the first game is just wrong, people don't work for free, almost nothing is free these days and the cost to produce games is way higher these days, same with figures, the good thing is nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything, you can choose to pay the full price, wait for a sale or just never buy it, I just find it disingenuous to say this is just a lazy cash grab or that they just changed the graphics when it's clearly not the case, was the remake absolutely necessary? Not really. Am I glad it exists? Absolutely, and I'm even more glad the remake will finally bring the game to PC.

At the end of the day I feel the hate directed is in large part due to the devision TLOU2 is still causing today and people refusing to seperate the actual game from the story and aknowledging it's one of the best games produced and extremely fun to play, well it's that and gamers being extremely entitled and petty as usual, also console wars ******** and Sony bad and whatever but for someone like me who was disappointed with how the story of Part 2 was executed this remake is everything I hoped for, the amazing graphics and fun, brutal gameplay of the second game, combined with the story I've loved for years.

I love TLOU2. I don't think this remake is lazy cash grab, but I do think it is a cash grab. It could have earned a lot more good will if this 9 year old game had launched at under full price. Not the end of the world though. I'll simply wait and pay less for it.

This is everything I hoped for, a remake that remains faithful to the original and only improves upon the gameplay, enviroments and graphics, from what I saw it's a shot-for-shot remake using the old mo-cap data and voice data as well, really happy about it and can't wait to play it whenever it drops on PC!

And yes.... 1/6 figures are coming!
Have you ever considered to do a version of (TLOU) Part II Joe* and Elli*? It can be really cool alongside your Part I version and probably better than the previous versions :sneaky:

The real question : so which faces LimToys figures gonna have? They look different in every version lol I truly like the remake Joel

The real question : so which faces LimToys figures gonna have? They look different in every version lol I truly like the remake Joel
;)
1655071995233.png

Goddamn Lim Toys, I'm trying to focus on other things I want but don't need, and then I come here and read about figs of The Last of Us coming up from Lim. I will not resist. I'm weak.

Hey @R_R_X, I would like to know more about your plans for 1/6 Joe* and Elli* from TLOU part I.
Like, what are the accessories? Are you planning to produce two headsculpts for each character? Will we get a duo pack available for order? Will you add the winter jacket version of Elli*?
0AF2AEF8-A3D3-4F0B-853D-43048B12DA78.jpeg

Don’t see how mechanically this will be any different to the original. It’s the production value that has got a huge bump (graphical fidelity, animation work, audio-design). I guess it’s a win for attracting new fans but I feel like I’m one of the few in the minority that thought the remake was pretty unnecessary.

Not digging the new character designs either.

Don’t see how mechanically this will be any different to the original. It’s the production value that has got a huge bump (graphical fidelity, animation work, audio-design). I guess it’s a win for attracting new fans but I feel like I’m one of the few in the minority that thought the remake was pretty unnecessary.

Not digging the new character designs either.
Mechanically basically everything is different since it's rebuilt in a new engine, the most noteable differences will be in the gameplay, combat, companion and enemy AI and overall physics, stuff like dismemberment will be ultra gory and happen often, it's basically all the gameplay from Part 2 implemented in this game.

I'm fine with them, they're obviously different and the original game is more nostalgic absolutely we spent almost a decade getting used to the old faces so it can be weird at first but since Part 1's whole purpose is to have a seamless expirience when playing both games back to back it makes sense for them to make Joel and Ellie look exactly like their more realistic part 2 counterparts whom by the way I saw nobody complaining about when Part 2 came out, in fact a lot of people said that the flashbacks of them were the only parts of the game where it felt like we were with Joel and Ellie so... 🤷‍♂️ Anyway face/model changes never bothered me that much, Nathan Drake had a different face in every game of his and he's still one of the most iconic video game protagonists regardless of that.

It's pretty cool to me how they made Ellie look more like Ahsley Johnson, Tess more like Annie Wersching and Bill like W Earl Brown, I always thought that Annie and Brown should've reprised their roles in the HBO show so this is the closest thing we'll get, the new Tess comparasion they released is insane I thought I was looking at a real person for a second!

But it is all subjective so I'm not trying to change anyone's mind just sharing my opinion everyone is entitled to think whatever they think of the new models, the only thing I would disagree with that's being said by a lot of people is that Joel looks too old and soft, he's supposed to be around 50 in the first game and has been surviving 20 years in this brutal world so his model actually matches his age now and soft?
6ccdf8497fc9b0ffe75772d715ebd69823fe29d3.gifv

Yeah I disagree. 😅

Hey @R_R_X, I would like to know more about your plans for 1/6 Joe* and Elli* from TLOU part I.
Like, what are the accessories? Are you planning to produce two headsculpts for each character? Will we get a duo pack available for order? Will you add the winter jacket version of Elli*? View attachment 583485
Similar to our 1/12 figures, we're thinking about including the winter shirts and jackets for a double pack.

Yeah, it really is subjective at the end of the day, and I definitely understand your POV. Nevertheless, the things you mentioned aren’t really mechanics per se, they enhance the experience sure, but they are part of a game’s production value; a proper game mechanic would be something like the dodge and prone that TLOU 2 introduced. Better AI’s are probably the most significant aspect in that regard, but fundamentally, the game will mostly likely follow the same structure, similar level design (more detailed now) and have the same core mechanics of a third person action adventure game as the original.

But hey, this is coming from someone who loves technical games like Godhand, Sifu, devil may cry etc. (still love tlou 1 though).

I can’t speak for others of course, but I didn’t like the TLOU 2 Joel and Ellie models in general; that being said, they’re a DAMN SIGHT better than the models which were rendered real time by the PS3. The PS3 cutscenes models however; I loved those. Idk how to describe it, and i understand this was very much a product of the hardware limitations, but the cutscenes of the original TLOU had this slightly stylised look, almost as if the game had taken on its own art style. Idk, something about the lighting, the colour palette used, and the models themselves - I’m the type of guy who loves a game that has a good art direction than the one that chases hyper-realism.

As for Joel looking soft, I’ll play the devils advocate and say I get where they’re coming from. I love the more stoic and rugged look Joel had in the original game, contrasted from his tlou 2 appearance which doesn’t convey that same feeling to me, he does come off as more frail here, whereas way back in 2013, everyone regarded Joel as the ‘John Wick’ of zombie games.

But hey, there will always be subjective disagreements when it comes to remakes. As long as the story remains unchanged, I got nothing against the remake and hope it does well to get some figures.

It's very reassuring knowing Lim are making these. If they were licensed, someone like Threezero, Mondo etc would toss out a prototype, ignore feedback to improve the figures, and release them anyway.

I didn't get Arthur but I followed his progress and was really impressed with the development right up to release.

Similar to our 1/12 figures, we're thinking about including the winter shirts and jackets for a double pack.
Will be a must for me if so! Without any doubts :sneaky: The jackets really give that extra touch up
the-last-of-us-part-i-screenshot-02-en-17may22

Yeah, it really is subjective at the end of the day, and I definitely understand your POV. Nevertheless, the things you mentioned aren’t really mechanics per se, they enhance the experience sure, but they are part of a game’s production value; a proper game mechanic would be something like the dodge and prone that TLOU 2 introduced. Better AI’s are probably the most significant aspect in that regard, but fundamentally, the game will mostly likely follow the same structure, similar level design (more detailed now) and have the same core mechanics of a third person action adventure game as the original.

But hey, this is coming from someone who loves technical games like Godhand, Sifu, devil may cry etc. (still love tlou 1 though).

I can’t speak for others of course, but I didn’t like the TLOU 2 Joel and Ellie models in general; that being said, they’re a **** SIGHT better than the models which were rendered real time by the PS3. The PS3 cutscenes models however; I loved those. Idk how to describe it, and i understand this was very much a product of the hardware limitations, but the cutscenes of the original TLOU had this slightly stylised look, almost as if the game had taken on its own art style. Idk, something about the lighting, the colour palette used, and the models themselves - I’m the type of guy who loves a game that has a good art direction than the one that chases hyper-realism.

As for Joel looking soft, I’ll play the devils advocate and say I get where they’re coming from. I love the more stoic and rugged look Joel had in the original game, contrasted from his tlou 2 appearance which doesn’t convey that same feeling to me, he does come off as more frail here, whereas way back in 2013, everyone regarded Joel as the ‘John Wick’ of zombie games.

But hey, there will always be subjective disagreements when it comes to remakes. As long as the story remains unchanged, I got nothing against the remake and hope it does well to get some figures.
I would bet good money we will get the dodge and prone mechanics from the second game, the first game was meant to have them and I think there's even a video of an early build of the game where you can see Joel doing that, I love technical stuff in games too I didn't like the story of Part 2 that much but I did love the gameplay and game design, it really pushed the PS4 to it's limit and I can't wait to play the remake on my PC, it's going to be an insane expirience.

Absolutely, I still love the original art style and models from the pre rendered cutscenes and I think Naughty Dog did themselves a diservice comparing in game cutscenes of the remake to the pre rendered cgi ones of the original game, I bet when we get a gameplay showcase the difference will become much clear to think that the gameplay will now just seamlessly transation to cutscenes and vice versa will add a lot to the game, for a game like Last of Us I actually prefer the hyper realistic style because it just immerses you that much more in the post apocalyptic world, for something like the games you mentioned or Ghost of Tsushima I love the more stylized and artistic approach.

I think it's because when they think of Part 2 Joel they just see the depressed older model or the slightly younger one who's mellowed out now that him and Ellie settled down and can enjoy spending time with each other, but in the beginning of the game you can see how the new model can still look like the badass "John Wick" zombie slayer and protector.
3b67afaca8d2fc0c9690139285cccf8df951d6c7.gifv

9d9e3e5bae54e136c60367a36328f6d09237996a.gif

3df7bde79743c2b10f6d88a3e43129bd011f640c.gifv

I imagine that the "John Wick aspect will be even better now that we're going to get the fluid and brutal combat of the second game!

As far as we know the story will remain unchanged, all the mocap and voice work is taken directly from the first game, there's some rumors floating around that Abby will get a cameo and Sam will be deaf and communicate with sign language, I don't care about Abby getting a cameo but I'm extremely against making Sam deaf, his interactions with Joel and his last talk with Ellie are some of my favorite moments in the game.

Last edited:
Back