The Last of Us Part I (Remake for PS5 & PC)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
76B6F746-D86B-444C-9D0A-9D0D23EF23E0.jpeg
43899B67-8DD8-472E-8021-5CDBB577A4CB.jpeg
6EF85C64-B83E-417C-BFA3-4A47FAB88ECA.jpeg
60BF13F4-B340-442A-A0C2-7CFC540E5517.jpeg

Feels like a lot of people don't realize the difference between a remaster and a remake from the comments I'm seeing around the internet, this is a remake built from the ground up on the new engine they used for Part II, it will have new gameplay mechanics, improved combat, better enviroments, better character models, animations, graphics and improved A.I, as far as we know the only thing they're reusing is the old voice recordings and mocap data, and the biggest thing of all is that it's a true next gen expirience developed solely on current gen consoles and is being developed for PC, so this remake will give an entire group of gamers the opportunity to expirience this story for the first time in almost a decade, and on the opinion that it's unecessary I respectfuly disagree, I feel like a lot of people are letting their hatred of Part II get in the way of their judgement and they're looking at the original game with rose tinted glasses, sure the graphics hold up extremely well but the gamepaly not so much, I didn't like the story of Part II, or rather how it was executed but I did have a lot of fun with the combat and gameplay, the way I see it this remake is taking the best of both worlds, the story of the first game and the gameplay of the second and combining them to make the ultimate TLOU expirience, the graphics looking photo realistic is just the cherry on top but of course all of this is just my opinion and anyone is absolutely entitled to feel however they feel, but we can't deny the fact this is a remake and not another port à la Skyrim or GTA V.

It's still the same game. Like how Demon Souls remake was still Demon Souls.

The only time I really felt a remake was substantial is Resident Evil 2 which was a 20 year old game. The original of TLOU is barely 10, which already had a remaster.

And then there's stuff like VII Remake which is practically a completely different game and story at this point, but that's also a 20+ year old title.

I just don't see the need to redo games that aren't even a decade old.

It's still the same game. Like how Demon Souls remake was still Demon Souls.

The only time I really felt a remake was substantial is Resident Evil 2 which was a 20 year old game. The original of TLOU is barely 10, which already had a remaster.
I would say it's the same story but objectively it's not the same game, in fact the "game" portion is what's gonna be the most different which is great because the original gameplay is dated, clunky and restrictive, I do agree that REmake2 is probably one of the best remakes we have but this TLOU remake will be a massive improvement on the gameplay which is probably the weakest link of the original game and again it's coming to PC so it's not as useless as people are making it out be, the new Dead Space remake that's been announced looks way more useless to me since the gameplay doesn't even look any different from the original game and that was released 13 years ago, so I appreciate Naughty Dog giving us a more substantial remake when it comes to gameplay than most of the other ones that are currently being made or have come out recently.

Remake looks incredible! Just played the PS4 remaster song by the time I eventually get a PS5, I’ll be ready for another play through lol

This is great specially for someone who hadn't played the originals yet but for me who played the hell outta the original and the remastered, The added features for this wont cut it for me for the amount of money and (specially) time ill be spending on this all over again. Maybe ill just watch a youtube video summarizing the new stuff i guess. Yeah..... i think that will suffice XD

I would say it's the same story but objectively it's not the same game, in fact the "game" portion is what's gonna be the most different which is great because the original gameplay is dated, clunky and restrictive, I do agree that REmake2 is probably one of the best remakes we have but this TLOU remake will be a massive improvement on the gameplay which is probably the weakest link of the original game and again it's coming to PC so it's not as useless as people are making it out be, the new Dead Space remake that's been announced looks way more useless to me since the gameplay doesn't even look any different from the original game and that was released 13 years ago, so I appreciate Naughty Dog giving us a more substantial remake when it comes to gameplay than most of the other ones that are currently being made or have come out recently.

Part II barely even iterates on the 2013 game at all, certainly not enough to make the original feel clunky or outdated. In fact, that was one of my primary complaints with the game, that it felt barely different at all from its predecessor even though there'd been seven years of other games in the genre building on it. The ability to crawl around prone on your stomach and hide under cars is hardly that big a change, especially when the enemy AI isn't smart enough to require it. The one interesting wrench in the machine, the dogs that can track your scent and prevent you from turtling in one spot, are both super infrequent and disappear entirely at the halfway point so you-know-who never has to hurt a dog. Part II even reduces your options in combat by making the glass bottle and brick functionally the same item, unlike in Part I where they each had their own purpose. I just really don't see what's present in Part II that's so amazing that it makes Part I feel antiquated in comparison.

I suppose I'll finally play this for the first time on PC with updated gameplay and visuals :lol
Well its gonna be my third attempt. First one was on PS3 in 2013, the second was the remastered version on PS4...and now the remake on PS5.

Feels like a lot of people don't realize the difference between a remaster and a remake from the comments I'm seeing around the internet, this is a remake built from the ground up on the new engine they used for Part II, it will have new gameplay mechanics, improved combat, better enviroments, better character models, animations, graphics and improved A.I, as far as we know the only thing they're reusing is the old voice recordings and mocap data, and the biggest thing of all is that it's a true next gen expirience developed solely on current gen consoles and is being developed for PC, so this remake will give an entire group of gamers the opportunity to expirience this story for the first time in almost a decade, and on the opinion that it's unecessary I respectfuly disagree, I feel like a lot of people are letting their hatred of Part II get in the way of their judgement and they're looking at the original game with rose tinted glasses, sure the graphics hold up extremely well but the gamepaly not so much, I didn't like the story of Part II, or rather how it was executed but I did have a lot of fun with the combat and gameplay, the way I see it this remake is taking the best of both worlds, the story of the first game and the gameplay of the second and combining them to make the ultimate TLOU expirience, the graphics looking photo realistic is just the cherry on top but of course all of this is just my opinion and anyone is absolutely entitled to feel however they feel, but we can't deny the fact this is a remake and not another port à la Skyrim or GTA V.
People also just don’t have to buy it if they don’t want to :lol.

They already confirmed they have multiple different projects in the works, so the people that want new games will be getting those too.

I tried playing the original maybe 2 years ago and the gameplay really didn’t hold up to other games I’d been playing, so I stopped playing it maybe an hour or so in. I’d much rather play a game focused on shooting on PC anyway, so I will.

Part II barely even iterates on the 2013 game at all, certainly not enough to make the original feel clunky or outdated. In fact, that was one of my primary complaints with the game, that it felt barely different at all from its predecessor even though there'd been seven years of other games in the genre building on it. The ability to crawl around prone on your stomach and hide under cars is hardly that big a change, especially when the enemy AI isn't smart enough to require it. The one interesting wrench in the machine, the dogs that can track your scent and prevent you from turtling in one spot, are both super infrequent and disappear entirely at the halfway point so you-know-who never has to hurt a dog. Part II even reduces your options in combat by making the glass bottle and brick functionally the same item, unlike in Part I where they each had their own purpose. I just really don't see what's present in Part II that's so amazing that it makes Part I feel antiquated in comparison.
The gameplay is definitely very similar but it is much better realized and fluid in Part II, playing Part II and then the first game it becomes really clear how restrictive it is, the lack of proning and dodging were especially evident since I died many times attempting to dodge a clicker lol, not to mention all the awesome accessibility options, gameplay and graphics modifiers that are missing from the original, I hate having to press triangle to pick up every item, while in Part II I can just toggle auto pick up and have Ellie naturally grab everything for me, I loved the collectibles radar and it got me an easy platinum, as far as presentation film grain always bugs me and the first game and the second have it in spades, with Part II it can just be turned off completely which makes the game even more pleasant to look at and of course the bow handling and explosive arrows from Part II, I barely used the bow in the first game but in Part II it's extremely fun to use especially after you unlock explosive arrows, it's small stuff like that that makes the second game more enjoybale to play even if I don't like the story, the graphics being photorealistic is just a bonus for me, lots of people are saying there's not enough of a difference to justify this getting made but the enviroments look much more detailed and realistic in the remake but the trailer failed to properly show the difference between the two games because it's mainly using the pre-rendered cutscenes of the remaster while the remake is all in real time, they recreated every cutscene in the new engine to play in real time so it's not just a lazy reskin and I give them props for that!

Now that's my opinion of course so it can all be moot to a lot of people but perhaps the best thing about the remake and why it's necessary in my eyes is the fact it's coming to PC, that's a whole group of people who will be playing this for the first time and having the first game on a platform like PC is great for it's longevity so I'm happy for all the PC players that waited patiently for this game, folk like Rogerbee here are the ones that will benefit the most from this remake being made.
Also in development for PC... well about ruddy time!!
And to touch on the price, $70 is what it is, doesn't shock me since it has become the standard now and this is a true next gen game, and of course nobody is forcing me or anyone to buy it, the original game is available right now for much cheaper and it'll forever remain a classic, so yeah price doesn't bother me but then again I do have toys/dolls worth hundreds of dollars. :lol

The gameplay is definitely very similar but it is much better realized and fluid in Part II, playing Part II and then the first game it becomes really clear how restrictive it is, the lack of proning and dodging were especially evident since I died many times attempting to dodge a clicker lol, not to mention all the awesome accessibility options, gameplay and graphics modifiers that are missing from the original, I hate having to press triangle to pick up every item, while in Part II I can just toggle auto pick up and have Ellie naturally grab everything for me, I loved the collectibles radar and it got me an easy platinum, as far as presentation film grain always bugs me and the first game and the second have it in spades, with Part II it can just be turned off completely which makes the game even more pleasant to look at and of course the bow handling and explosive arrows from Part II, I barely used the bow in the first game but in Part II it's extremely fun to use especially after you unlock explosive arrows, it's small stuff like that that makes the second game more enjoybale to play even if I don't like the story, the graphics being photorealistic is just a bonus for me, lots of people are saying there's not enough of a difference to justify this getting made but the enviroments look much more detailed and realistic in the remake but the trailer failed to properly show the difference between the two games because it's mainly using the pre-rendered cutscenes of the remaster while the remake is all in real time, they recreated every cutscene in the new engine to play in real time so it's not just a lazy reskin and I give them props for that!

Now that's my opinion of course so it can all be moot to a lot of people but perhaps the best thing about the remake and why it's necessary in my eyes is the fact it's coming to PC, that's a whole group of people who will be playing this for the first time and having the first game on a platform like PC is great for it's longevity so I'm happy for all the PC players that waited patiently for this game, folk like Rogerbee here are the ones that will benefit the most from this remake being made.

And to touch on the price, $70 is what it is, doesn't shock me since it has become the standard now and this is a true next gen game, and of course nobody is forcing me or anyone to buy it, the original game is available right now for much cheaper and it'll forever remain a classic, so yeah price doesn't bother me but then again I do have toys/dolls worth hundreds of dollars. :lol
Great points and well made. Naugty Dog are already partnered with Steam as there's an Uncharted game for PC coming out, so there's no way I'll miss out. Hopefully there will also be a PC port of the sequel eventually....

It does seem unnecessary to me, but whatever. It's easy money for ND and will look very nice I'm sure. Loved the original, so I'll play it somewhen. In no rush though.

I recently started replaying the Remastered version, but now I'll wait for the PC version.
It'll be interesting to replay this on a 120hz 4k oled with maxed out settings. Or as maxed out as a 3070ti can go anyways.
The framerate really doesn't do the Remaster any favors either (unless you have a PS4 Pro or PS5).

Every time there's been a "straight" remake of a game I love, I buy it and play it for like two or three hours before I get bored of it because I'm too familiar with the original. I'm definitely in the camp that prefers the RE2/FFVII complete re-imagining. It ticks the nostalgia buttons while still feeling new.

I saw some worry that there would be story adjustments to fit with Part II better but the fact that they made that clear as a big feature is great news. Troy and Ashley’s performances in that first game are some of the best we’ve ever seen in a video game, and in some ways led to a new generation of voice actors in gaming becoming mo-cap performers. Now you get people like Christopher Judge coming over from tv/film to perform. The gameplay improvements should lead to a better experience.

Back